kyuquot Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report thanks. Headed up on the 13th for the first time, can’t wait. Slam bang packed and processed fish for you?

I arrive on the 17th. I the weather/seas are good I will likely be fishing out at Kyuquot Reef or out on the highway along the 50 fathom line. Was there around the same time a couple of years ago and the highway was the place but scratched up a few at Spring Island and also out off Hiast.

My wife and I just returned home from another great trip to Kyuquot which seems to be becoming an annual adventure. Great fishing and fabulous weather! Heard reports of someone waterskiing out there. Road was mostly good if not great, just rough in some sections which slowed us down a bit. Lots of fish around. Fished small spoons and hootchies which both produced. Lots of small bait around. Sea Otters were eating squid at Spring. Spring Island was a bit slower than in the past for us but some people reported a good evening bite. We also fished Thornton and just outside Lookout Island along tide lines and near the bottom in 130 plus feet of water. Picked up a few Hali and Ling. Play by the rules! Saw DFO chase a boat down that suddenly vacated the reef and headed in at 9am after they started checking boats. DFO was on their boat for at least a hour. Whales, porpoises, sun fish, blue sharks all added to the experience. Caught and released 3 big skates! Some swimming, paddle boarding, and a beach day at Rugged Point. Thanks to Scott and his team for processing our fish at Slam Bang and to the Kyuquot Inn for the accommodation.
Do you know if they will process (obviously at a cost) for those not staying at the lodge?

Do you know if they will process (obviously at a cost) for those not staying at the lodge?
I actually called slam bang the other day about this. They do process and freeze fish even if you’re not a guest at the lodge-2$/lb gutted and head on.

Heading up to Kyuquot next Friday for 4 days. Will bring along tuna gear if weather and fish conditions are right by Brooks. If anyone else is planning an outing I would appreciate going out with someone. 24’ boat so not a big rig. Will also post on Tuna thread.

Also anyone have a current report on the road in from the highway? Hopefully not too bad for potholes.

I too just got back yesterday and the road is in the best conditions it has been in for years but there are some rough spots. The one thing the locals were saying is that whatever gravel they have put down (and are grading daily it appears) has some sharper rocks and there have been more people getting flat tires this year than they have ever seen. Make sure your spares are in good shape and you have them.

A few spots with some bad washboard particularly on the longer descent down towards Zeballos coming in from the highway. Logging trucks are active so just be wary of them. If they don't get any rain be aware that it is VERY dusty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back