Northeast Island Rivers

Hoffer

Hi all, new to the forum and hoping to pick up a bit of insight to put towards an 8 day fishing trip on the island coming up in a few weeks.

We’re planning to fish rivers like the Salmon, White and Marble and some others in the surrounding areas. Wondering if anyone knows what those rivers conditions look like now? Looking like a few pushes of rain in the forecast before we head over which is good to see. Also wondering what we can expect to see for species in the river mid October…from what I’ve read online it looks like we can be hopeful to get into some coho and maybe steelhead? We will be out there with gear and fly set ups.

Any insight into what to expect on those rivers and any others recommend to be throwing into the mix that time of year is greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Water levels can fluctuate a LOT in October. Best to have a basic plan and adjust as needed. Some rivers blow out (and come down) faster than others. You can check the realtime (and historical) flows here:

While I haven't fished those rivers this time of year, you can expect to find coho and the odd summer steelhead, if you're lucky. If the systems have chum, they'll be around, too, lower in the river. Hopefully you'll get some rain while you're there as the coho move in quickly with rain. Keep in mind that the timing of the runs is earlier up there than down island, so even the coho might be showing some age by then. I don't really know.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Back