(Re)painting lures - what type of paint?

Lewy

Recently got an airbrush setup and started doing up a few buzz-bomb and zinger type lures. Right now using outdoor acrylics which seen pretty durable but wondering if there's a better option out there? I haven't tried anything else yet.

Any air-brushable paint tips appreciated!

Recently got an airbrush setup and started doing up a few buzz-bomb and zinger type lures. Right now using outdoor acrylics which seen pretty durable but wondering if there's a better option out there? I haven't tried anything else yet.

Any air-brushable paint tips appreciated!
What I use for buzz bombs and zingers is basic white spray paint. Hang them up and spray them and let them fully dry. I then use a black or colored felt pen to put a stripe down the back and add a small glow in the dark eye. For colors I use a very fine purple/blue glitter from Michaels hobby and crafts. I paint the body with a light coat of carpenters white glue and then sprinkle on the glitter/shake tap off the excess and let them dry. Final stage is a clear coat of spray and after they are dry they are ready to fish. I used these lures at the Oak bay Golf Club and Ten Mile point almost exclusively for shore fishing and they have caught a lot of nice fish. You could also skip the glitter and add a strip of coloured mylar to get the look you want.

Good tips but I'm into airbrushing them just like factory finish if I can
Probably a good idea to check out the internet video's. Do a search for LURE PAINTING

I primer the lead with rustoleum, airbrush with acrylic paint and spray with clear lacquer(spray can)
always nice to recycle (and cheaper) Nice work on the repaint. And I'm sure they catch fish

The jigs are new cast jigs from my own moulds, premiered and air brushed. Have about 100 of various sizes. They work well.

Attachments

• 20230712_103314.jpg
    20230712_103314.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 24
The jigs are new cast jigs from my own moulds, premiered and air brushed. Have about 100 of various sizes. They work well.
well they are pretty darned good

Nice work! I'm using acrylics too, thinned with Golden airbrush transparent extender at about 5 to1 the moment.

I am not at the airbrush work of art stage yet but after having them chewed up I tried clear shrink tubing. It didn’t slow down rock fish, lings or springs on the ones I tried and they are holding up really well. I used 1/2” and 3/4” so far for 2 to 4 ounce jigs depending on shape.

I am not at the airbrush work of art stage yet but after having them chewed up I tried clear shrink tubing. It didn’t slow down rock fish, lings or springs on the ones I tried and they are holding up really well. I used 1/2” and 3/4” so far for 2 to 4 ounce jigs depending on shape.
Something I used to use on jigs that used to get smashed on rocks or the larger one for jigging was a product used to dip tool handles in.
I think it was called "Plasti-dip" It came in about 3 or 4 colors and lasted quite a while on lures. Easy to peel of and re coat also.

Any recommendations for Glow paint?
Does the glow nullify the effect of regular paint?

Glow paint doesn't effect the regular acrylic paint. I have been applying clear epoxy to reduce chipping and scratches. It helps but they do get chewed up some.

I did up some kwikfish with nail polish and it has held up very well digging gravel in freshwater.

The kids have all kinds of crazy colours these days.

Attachments

• spring1.jpg
    spring1.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 24
If you want glitter type sparkles on your jigs, the dollar store has assorted colors of glitter, apply some clear nail polish and sprinkle the flakes onto it. I use epoxy and apply the glitter on to it while wet. I airbrush acrylic paint onto bullseye primer and layer various colors.

Back