Just For the Halibut Derby

DAVE I can see your an up and coming fishing guide BUT why do you guys go to new/more boats hmmm because your buisness has been good right????And halibut/groundfish is part of the reason.
well part of your business is enabling people to go fishing is it not????THIS halibut thing is not a conservation issue ..........
If you feel quilty about people going fiishing maybe you better take a look in the mirror really hard and not take halibut in your type of work.
Last year the halibut derby if I remember right about 130 halibut big deal its part of what is in the TAC YOU and anyone else are allowed to take that part of the TAC.again 88/12 has everyone forgot that??
I can only imagine your company with the amount of boats you have far exceed that number, sorry to say I know what its like up there Ive fished it for 16 years(just a bit east of you) by a hour.

Good quote
"PEOPLE LIVING IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDNT THROW STONES"

GOOD LUCK WOLF

Give it a go Scott.

I enjoy the derby, supports some good local shops, gets a bunch of good friends and family together for the weekend and is still less lbs in the end than my buddies com boat pulls in on a few Skates in a day of Rupert. I will also agree, we would all be out there anyway. Plus I always fluck up and get a big one before the derby, lol.

Take a look at some Alaska Haly You tube vids, your guilt of taking one over 100 lbs a season will disappear in short order.

I get what you are putting out regarding public oppinion though! Yet with the medias ability to contort information to the favorable side does it really matter? I know the long term sustainability is in good hands with DFO, lol

I love how the kid can't even have an opinion without being attacked. He never said it was bad for halibut(conservation) he said it might look bad to the non-fishing public who doesn't understand the situation.

The fact is a large portion of the non-fishing public will assume this issue is related to dwindling stocks, most outsiders aren't hanging off every factoid spoken on the news. They simply see a fight between commercial and sport fishermen over halibut and assume the stocks are in trouble, then change the channel to watch TMZ.

All the facts in the world are not going to win the fight, its about public perception and I would hazard to guess that the perception of a 150lb halibut hanging by its tail while we cry and moan about not enough halibut is one of greed to a lot of people.

I think a lot of people are forming opinions about something they knew nothing about a short while ago, those opinions will likely stay with them forever. Its a lot easier to help them form the correct opinion now then try and change it later on.

I'm not saying ya or nay for the derby but just because someone has an opinion slightly different then your own doesn't make them wrong, this is a discussion forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I think PSwiss is on the mark ... the average joe public does not get this "conservation vs allocation" distinction. Talk to 5 non-anglers you know, ask them to explain to you what the issue is ... I'd put money on it every one of them would incorrectly focus on the conservation side. Reading back in this thread, Twinwinds said "Our "right" to fish won't be very good if there are no fish left to fish?" -- not to pick on you, but that means even people on this forum, who I think have read more than most about this, still don't get this isn't a conservation argument. That very likely means the public are not clear on this.

From a political standpoint, I doubt it will help sway the public's "hearts and minds" to see the recreational folks showing off who can drag up the biggest fish. I'm not saying derbies shouldn't be held, as I agree they are as good a way as any for the recreational sector to catch its allocation. But it is likely correct that it isn't great for public perception on this issue -- at worst, could give the commercial lobby some ammo to work with.

As well, I wonder if this might skew DFO's catch estimation for recreational sector? When all the highliners are out there highly motivated to catch these big fish, and you see those weights in a long list, does that look better than the reality of day to day fishing around here? Maybe something to think about for derby organizers is to encourage weighing in all halibut taken, to show the small with the big and get a good indication of true average size? This would also help DFO get some more realistic stats on the skunked-to-catch ratio .... # entrants vs # fish weighed in. When they do those fly overs and count boats, I can tell you with certainty that we all don't have a 30 pounder aboard, as their stats seem to show. :)

Unfortunately, I think PSwiss is on the mark ... the average joe public does not get this "conservation vs allocation" distinction. Talk to 5 non-anglers you know, ask them to explain to you what the issue is ... I'd put money on it every one of them would incorrectly focus on the conservation side. Reading back in this thread, Twinwinds said "Our "right" to fish won't be very good if there are no fish left to fish?" -- not to pick on you, but that means even people on this forum, who I think have read more than most about this, still don't get this isn't a conservation argument. That very likely means the public are not clear on this.

From a political standpoint, I doubt it will help sway the public's "hearts and minds" to see the recreational folks showing off who can drag up the biggest fish. I'm not saying derbies shouldn't be held, as I agree they are as good a way as any for the recreational sector to catch its allocation. But it is likely correct that it isn't great for public perception on this issue -- at worst, could give the commercial lobby some ammo to work with.

As well, I wonder if this might skew DFO's catch estimation for recreational sector? When all the highliners are out there highly motivated to catch these big fish, and you see those weights in a long list, does that look better than the reality of day to day fishing around here? Maybe something to think about for derby organizers is to encourage weighing in all halibut taken, to show the small with the big and get a good indication of true average size? This would also help DFO get some more realistic stats on the skunked-to-catch ratio .... # entrants vs # fish weighed in. When they do those fly overs and count boats, I can tell you with certainty that we all don't have a 30 pounder aboard, as their stats seem to show. :)

This is exactly what I'm saying Wolf. In previous posts I also mentioned I'm well aware it isn't a conservation issue, it's a public perception issue. And like I said before, I won't cry if the derby is to go on, just throwing an outsiders opinion as to how it may look to the public.

We are ALL in this together and we will have growing pains as the Coalition moves forward. There will be as many opinions as members. The simple fact remains the same, our sector has NEVER stood together to fight as one and moving forward with a few minor family disputes is inevitable.....it's not a big deal, as long as we keep focused on whats important to ALL of us......having a solid, extremely well backed, organized group that will have to be dealt with by Ottawa on ALL FISHERIES ISSUES from now on.....

An opinion is just that an opinion! last time I checked everybody is entitled to their own opinion! Human nature is to agree to disagree ,I'm sure we can agree on onething the Powers to be in Ottawa need to revamp the Federal Fisheries flawed policies.
As stated by other members, Forums are a place to voice one's opinions let's all respect our freedom of speech.

Hey Guys,

Lets try to remember that we're on the same side here.The commercial guys following this post must be getting a real chuckle over this bickering!
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Only reason I even posted about the 64lbser on here is due to Cuba Libre called me out on it.

WUT?????? Buuuuuuttttttttt, it was posted in the local paper Dave. Ya dun gud !!! Take it and run with the compliment.....

And Vetteman-- totally right. Everything is in the open for those that would rather see us tied to the dock. I hope people remember that.

So you would rather have the Victoria fleet tied to the dock to avoid what some might see as a slaughter? Are we to start worrying about public perception of the sport to the point, we cancell trips? Derbys? I think not. This runs akin to the public veiw of hunting, and the decline of deer to near extinction, which couldnt be farther from the truth. There will ALWAYS be a number of people in the public that do not agree with sport fishing, hunting etc, because they know nothing about it. That does not mean, we need to hide behind some cloak to avoid confrontation, ESPECIALY when there is NO conservation issues at hand. I see the "Just for the Halibut" derby as an excalent opurtunity to educate the gen pop as to our plight. We have been screwed over by the DFO and the more we can let people know about it the better. Picture this, we get a notice of closure effective July 31st hypotheticly speaking. So your out on the grounds, on August 1st, and there right beside you is a long liner, and yes I see them all the time, and he is pulling a string, killing upwards of a couple hundred Halibut, yet you are unable to kill 2 fish for your guest onboard, while they watch the debotchery going on alongside!! Try explaining that one! This could be a reality if we do not step up and fight for what is ours, and let the general public know where we stand and why, and not cower at the opurtunity..
I respect your opinion, I just dont agree with it.. I wouldnt worry to much about what the Com Fisherman are looking at on here, they can bicker with the best of them, and do, frequently...

I too feel there is no issue with a possible negative public perception. Any non-fishermen I speak with understands the whole point in fishing as the pursuit of the "fish of a lifetime" while bringing the odd fish home for tablefare. And even if they can't feel the passion for this pursuit they tolerate and sort of understand it from the sportsmen point of view. I would say most of them would be pretty surprised and non-understanding if we cancelled a derby for fear of public perception of just that what they understand as the whole point of fishing. I think some of you are confusing the general public with some extreme environmentalists. Most people are ok with what we do and why we do it. I have non-fishing friends and colleagues who sometimes bring photos of trophy fish that were caught by their friends or relatives and they even like bragging for them. Heck, I remember back east a news article about a huge pike that was caught in a local lake - you know what the public opinion was on that? No, not that some bad guy killed the mother of all egg-laying pike ladies - No! Everyone seemed to be glad that the lake where the kids swim was rid of this UGLY monster!
I believe that if you cancelled derbies for fear of bad publicity you totally miss the mark and you do unnecessary harm to our hobby, economy and charities.

Where do all the profits go from the Derby? It would be nice to be able to give it to the guys fighting the battles for the Sporties these days.. Im waffling a bit on the conservation bit though can some one tell me why the scientists are all saying the average size is shrinking dramitically over the past three yrs? They cant figure out why? Did any of you guys listen to that Podcast posted by Sushi Hunter? My heart is for the Derby and in some ways its not. All good points here though, does a Commercial guy care what size it is NO. I agree the derby prob wont help Public Support. I also know the Derby is going to happen no matter what so my opinion on this doesnt mean anything anyways. Hope you guys have a good derby down there, Good Luck.

One mile out from shore? seems a little tight for the bounderies even though i could think of a few spots

Back