Julia Passage and Broken Island Group August 13-15

Saltwater Cowboy

Taking the wife to a friends floating cabin in Julia Passage in mid August. Planning a very small amount of fishing like 2 hours a day and not early as it's our anniversary and want to sleep in with no little kids in tow. Just curious if people had any close spots for fishing that would be hot in mid august. It's a five minute run to Swale Rock so going to try there probably. Also I have the boat in Ukee right now for guys fishing trips so we will be leaving from there. Looking for best route to take to get to Julia Passage especially if rough so the wife doesn't hate the trip. Also any must see beaches etc in the Broken Group as that's the majority of our trip is exploring, hiking and if any nice beaches some swimming and also looking for any lakes that might be on one of the islands? I've fished the outside lot's but not the Broken Group so looking for help.

Thx

SWC

It is only a short run to Julia passage.Turn left and go by Salmon beach.It is all inside waters . Go by your gps or chart. A bit tricky getting in. Rocks on the right side under the water on a medium tide. Tight to the shore on the right going in. You see the rocks on low tide.As far as fishing there is lots of places. Pill ,Swale, Vernon bay. Meares bluff.Across to the middle islands. Pick a spot. Just watch your sounder. A few bumps. Have a good time.

Come on guys.. There must be tons to see in the Broken Group that guys have an idea about? Need a little help as to what to see and what to avoid.

SWC

Its funny, I'm sitting here trying to suggest a spot to go but I have rarely crossed through the Broken Group. I'm all around it but never among the islands. There is always whales around Sail rock and a eagle sitting on top of it.

There is protected beaches that you can get to.It is a rain forest so the hiking is not great. Tried once and gave up.The cruising is fantastic on a sunny day. A tin boat works great. You can also go through the pinkerton islands but be careful. Pretty in there. My friend broke his skeg on a rock. Just remember that the rocks are not marked and be careful.Leaving this thursday for julia passage . 5 nights. 3rd cabin in on the left from the port end . Have FUN.

We stayed in Julia last year for a buddy's stag, unbelievable out there!

There are always tons of sea lions out on Folger Island... if weather permits, thats neat to see.

We cruised through the broken group islands on an evening cruise, pretty stunning in there with lots of neat beaches... Just watch the GPS!

Also a couple unreal beaches on Hand Island in the broken group, closer to toquart... good for a few hours relaxing!

I'm going to be there about the same time. Second cabin on the left entering from the south. It's in the middle of a rebuild so it will probably be a work party for a few days rather than serious fishing.
Dave

We camped on North side of Gilbert Island, which has a small sandy beach and deep enough water to loop-line your boat out. It's north-facing, so no sunsets/sunrises, but it's sheltered and lots of flat areas for tents. Not much firewood, so you might want to bring a few chunks. It's a small island so we werent' worried about bears getting into our food. The mosquitoes made it miserable until we found and lathered on the repellent. Make sure you bring lots of mosquito repellent for any of those islands!! Each slap would get 3 or 4 bugs each time. There's lots to see if you slowly cruise around the channels, but there's also a ton of reefs, so hopefully you've got a good gps. If you go on the outside of the islands there's a good chance you'll see some whales. We saw orcas, grey and humpbacks in just three days, so hopefully your wife will get to see some.

There is protected beaches that you can get to.It is a rain forest so the hiking is not great. Tried once and gave up.The cruising is fantastic on a sunny day. A tin boat works great. You can also go through the pinkerton islands but be careful. Pretty in there. My friend broke his skeg on a rock. Just remember that the rocks are not marked and be careful.Leaving this thursday for julia passage . 5 nights. 3rd cabin in on the left from the port end . Have FUN.

Ah ha, so your in the party cabin ha ha!! I stay in the cabin straight across the bay from you. You guys play good music!!

Will be there in Julia passage from the 12 to the 14 . Look for the 17 ft harbercraft tied up there.

Cabin fell through so going to be anchoring. Any good anchorage in Julia Passage? Looking for best spot for private very protected calm moorage for 2 nights this weekend. Thanks for any help!

Back