Vancouver - hardy

adanac

Looking like we will be leaving our boat in port hardy for the majority of the summer , mid July - late august . We’ve fished it extensively either on our own trailered boat , or friends boats , but are looking to run our boat up ourselves this year ( 330 grady express so can’t trailer it ourselves ) . Looking to hear from people who have done it , what I need to know , how you split your trip up , ect .

Thanks

@Sharphooks has a thread going on getting up there (Cordero Channel thread). Some good info on making your way north.

We run our boat up every summer. Our usual plan is to leave Vancouver late morning or afternoon the first day and run to Comox. Comox to Port MacNeil / Hardy is a pretty easy day for day 2 (worth filling up in PM as fuel is cheaper and better service), take your pick of routes through the Discovery Islands. We try to avoid Johnstone Straight as much as possible, partially for the weather but mostly because it is boring as hell.

To beat some incoming weather, we've done the run from Port MacNeil to Vancouver in one shot which makes for a long day but it is doable. Two days is more enjoyable and we often break it up over three or four. Heriot Bay, Blind Channel, Lagoon Cove, Telegraph Cove and Sointula are all good spots to spend a night.

We run our boat up every summer. Our usual plan is to leave Vancouver late morning or afternoon the first day and run to Comox. Comox to Port MacNeil / Hardy is a pretty easy day for day 2 (worth filling up in PM as fuel is cheaper and better service), take your pick of routes through the Discovery Islands. We try to avoid Johnstone Straight as much as possible, partially for the weather but mostly because it is boring as hell.

To beat some incoming weather, we've done the run from Port MacNeil to Vancouver in one shot which makes for a long day but it is doable. Two days is more enjoyable and we often break it up over three or four. Heriot Bay, Blind Channel, Lagoon Cove, Telegraph Cove and Sointula are all good spots to spend a night.
Heriot Bay is excellent - I highly recommend. Good fishing from the southern tip of Quadra up to Rebecca Spit. Nice pub, food, showers, fuel. Incredibly helpful community if you bump into any boating problems.....someone knows someone that'll help you find a solution.

Make sure you ride with the tide from Campbell River Heading north through Seymour Narrows and Johnstone straight.

We did French Creek to Port McNeill in about 6 hours this summer, stoping a few times for whales, bathroom breaks and lunch.

Once you make the trip once you will never trailer your boat again.
Good advice riding the Ebb from CR and up , also if you can come during small tides you'll find alot less debris in the water

Did that trip many years ago in a 23 foot trophy,actually went all the way to Bella Bella as I recall as others have said mind the tides when leaving CR,what amazed me was how many little dots are on the coast where you can get fuel,food,do your laundry have a shower etc. etc.spectacular scenery and lots of places to drop the hook truly an amazing trip!!

I ran from Victoria to Port McNeil the first 2 summers I had the boat. Maybe it was bad luck, but I found that I needed to allow time for weather, so 2 days could turn into 3 -- which means nearly a week off your holiday. I second the advice about running with the current -- and would add avoiding current against wind, especially in Johnstone Straits.

Once I started trailering, it was reliably a day each way, and saved $1000 or more on fuel --- in 2003. My truck will go pretty much there and back on a tank. Not so much the boat. Now that I'm retired, I might try running again.

I would trailer if the boat didn’t have a 9’9” beam...dragging that slab through downtown Victoria at noon in July is difficult for me to wrap my head around

We tow our 28 and 30 Kingfishers to Hardy and back all the time. 9'-6" beam. Easy 5 hour drive from Nanaimo. About $350 fuel in the truck verses 2 days and $2k in boat fuel. You do have to consider cost of the ferry though.

Ohh come on, half the fun is running through the islands and the straights, meeting the locals and having fun. Seeing things you never see and learning the coast line all the way around. Learning the tides, weather mapping, charts, all the things.

Hariot bay is really fun. Sometimes they have live music. Great staff and crew there. Get out and get some sun

It is a great run. Lots to see and do. My kids grew up boating and fishing in the Broughtons. We spend our time now on the North end or North of Caution.

Back