Interesting salmon article

Trowser

Just read this one and I thought I would share....

Globe and Mail, Page S01, 03-Dec-2008

Overfishing pushing salmon stocks near collapse, study warns

By Mark Hume

VANCOUVER

Salmon stocks in British Columbia are on the brink of collapse largely because the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans has consistently allowed too many fish to be killed in commercial and recreational fisheries, according to a new research paper.

The high exploitation of stocks - which draws parallels with the destruction of Atlantic cod by overfishing - may be more to blame for the decline of Pacific salmon than global warming or poor ocean conditions, says the study assessing salmon management practices, published today by the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.

The researchers, from the Raincoast Conservation Foundation and the University of California, also conclude that DFO has been managing on the basis of biased data because it has stopped monitoring hundreds of streams with weak runs, choosing to focus on stronger runs only. As a result, managers have a flawed picture that suggests salmon stocks are much healthier than they really are.

The researchers said that based on the monitoring of 137 streams between 2000 and 2005, DFO found 35 per cent of salmon runs in northern B.C. were classified as depressed. But an assessment based on 215 streams that included weak stocks rated 75 per cent of runs as depressed.

"The lack of information [fisheries managers have] is troubling," said Misty MacDuffee, one of three biologists on the research team.

"The precautionary approach has to be at the forefront of fisheries management ... but not having accurate information will lead to overfishing, as it did with Atlantic cod," she said.

The paper examined data over a 55-year period in order to evaluate DFO's effectiveness in hitting escapement targets.

Escapement targets refer to the number of salmon that

escape commercial, recreational and native food fisheries to make it to the spawning grounds.

Escapement targets are considered the bottom line in fisheries management and are used to justify fishery catch limits.

If an adequate number of fish are allowed to spawn, the rest are considered surplus and can be caught in commercial, sport or native food fisheries.

But the research paper, "Ghost runs: management and status assessment

of Pacific salmon returning

to British Columbia's central and north coasts," found

that since 1950 DFO has failed to reach escapement targets 50 per cent of the time.

And during the 2000-2005 period, chum, sockeye and chinook runs failed to hit escapement targets up to 85 per cent of the time.

"Data ... which span nearly six decades, show that management has repeatedly not met DFO's own target levels. This resulted in diminished runs for all species in nearly every decade," the researchers state.

"Although climate and ocean survival likely play substantial roles, multiple lines of evidence suggest that over exploitation may be the greatest cause of salmon declines across the Northeast Pacific," they say.

The researchers say cutting catch rates can have dramatic results and they note some stocks that recovered when fishing overexploitation was stopped.

The researchers were Michael Price, Nicola Temple and Ms. MacDuffee, all staff biologists with the Raincoast, a B.C. non-profit organization, and Chris Darimont, Department of Environmental Studies, University of California.

i am sure you are not surprised to learn this is the fish stock management strategy of choice along the entire west coast of north america. the head of the WDFW was apparently forced to resign this past monday and everyone is now waiting to see who the new person will be. i am not betting the new individual will be conservation minded making science based decisions. probably more of the same rape and run commercial extreme limits.

i am sure you are not surprised to learn this is the fish stock management strategy of choice along the entire west coast of north america. the head of the WDFW was apparently forced to resign this past monday and everyone is now waiting to see who the new person will be. i am not betting the new individual will be conservation minded making science based decisions. probably more of the same rape and run commercial extreme limits.

quote:that since 1950 DFO has failed to reach escapement targets 50 per cent of the time.

And during the 2000-2005 period, chum, sockeye and chinook runs failed to hit escapement targets up to 85 per cent of the time.
If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know I dont know what does.

quote:that since 1950 DFO has failed to reach escapement targets 50 per cent of the time.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know I dont know what does.

Yep, agree 100%...same cast of characters that managed the East Coast fishery into complete collapse are staging an encore appearance here.

Yep, agree 100%...same cast of characters that managed the East Coast fishery into complete collapse are staging an encore appearance here.

These guys making the desions that allow the distruction and inevetable killing of our oceans really nead get a grip, stop kissen butt, stop exployting $$$$$, stop pointing fingers at each other, start doing there job, and get to work. "Oh Silly Me, they havn't learn't to stop,start, or work yet."[B)] WE'RE SCREWED!!!!

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

These guys making the desions that allow the distruction and inevetable killing of our oceans really nead get a grip, stop kissen butt, stop exployting $$$$$, stop pointing fingers at each other, start doing there job, and get to work. "Oh Silly Me, they havn't learn't to stop,start, or work yet."[B)] WE'RE SCREWED!!!!

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

If you've been fishing for Salmon for 35+ years like me, you don't need a report to point out the sad state of the resource. Georgia Straight has been turned into a barren wasteland in comparison to the old days. Each year we have to go further and further distances to chase less and less fish. The longer you have been around the worse things appear. I feel sorry for my kids, imagine what it's going to be like for them the way things are heading.

If you've been fishing for Salmon for 35+ years like me, you don't need a report to point out the sad state of the resource. Georgia Straight has been turned into a barren wasteland in comparison to the old days. Each year we have to go further and further distances to chase less and less fish. The longer you have been around the worse things appear. I feel sorry for my kids, imagine what it's going to be like for them the way things are heading.

quote:the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans has consistently allowed too many fish to be killed in commercial and recreational fisheries

Excellent article, I agree with it 150%!

Take only what you need.

quote:the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans has consistently allowed too many fish to be killed in commercial and recreational fisheries

Excellent article, I agree with it 150%!

Take only what you need.

Howdy,

Good article; Both Mark & Stephen Hume have written some great stuff on the state of Pacific salmon as well as salmon-farming over the last while.

I wonder if a census has ever been done to determine the volume of salmon that come from smaller vs. larger systems.

If the percentage of fish from small streams and rivers (collectively) comprises a very huge proportion of a given species population, then fisheries managers need to allocate equal resources to both large and small systems conservation/habitat maintenance/restoration initiatives. When one small run goes extinct... that's it, we all lose.

Without 'stirring-the-pot' or inviting any racial slurs here, one could question the validity of the Raincoast data on harvest pressures as it does not include the First Nations fishery, which, like the sport-fishery, needs to be included in all harvest data.

My 2-bits.

Terry

Howdy,

Good article; Both Mark & Stephen Hume have written some great stuff on the state of Pacific salmon as well as salmon-farming over the last while.

I wonder if a census has ever been done to determine the volume of salmon that come from smaller vs. larger systems.

If the percentage of fish from small streams and rivers (collectively) comprises a very huge proportion of a given species population, then fisheries managers need to allocate equal resources to both large and small systems conservation/habitat maintenance/restoration initiatives. When one small run goes extinct... that's it, we all lose.

Without 'stirring-the-pot' or inviting any racial slurs here, one could question the validity of the Raincoast data on harvest pressures as it does not include the First Nations fishery, which, like the sport-fishery, needs to be included in all harvest data.

My 2-bits.

Terry

Terry (aka Little Hawk);

It must kill you to see that the Hume article posted above doesn't even mention salmon farming or aquaculture.

It's nice to see that some people are able to actually look at all the risks to salmon (commercial fishing, logging, sport fishing, fish farming, mining, urban sprawl, tourism, predator/prey imbalance, river degradation, water temperature and effect on phytoplankton, food sources, salmon ranching, salmon ehancement, carpenters from Victoria...)

Holy crap Terry, did you read that list! Yes, there are lots of risks to salmon, interesting eh?

So while you continue to wage 'WAR' against fish farming, the rest of us will work together to preserve wild salmon. Have fun, but I'll bet you'll end up being very lonely. [:eek:)]

quote:Without 'stirring-the-pot' or inviting any racial slurs here, one could question the validity of the Raincoast data on harvest pressures as it does not include the First Nations fishery, which, like the sport-fishery, needs to be included in all harvest data.

Well they didn't include the fish the bears and eagles take, so why should they include other indigenous species?

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by Sager01

Terry (aka Little Hawk);

It must kill you to see that the Hume article posted above doesn't even mention salmon farming or aquaculture.

his reponse didn't sound like it 'killed' him.

Don't you worry sager, the only things that are gonna be as lonely as abandoned canneries from the past will soon be abandoned net pen fish farms on the west coast. How soon? Probably not soon enough but soon enough for me and A LOT of salmon fans to join Terry's big party! Terry, please no Whiskey! :D

There's a nice warm place waiting for the fish farming scumbags and all their mouthpieces. Don't be wasting too much energy on them now.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Back