Must watch video by Tom Davis on the Threats Facing the Future of Salmon Fishing

cohochinook

Recreational salmon angling is under assault
Anglers, your access to recreational salmon fishing is under continued assault. This video is a summary of a power point presentation, delivered by PFA Director Tom Davis, to over 300 concerned anglers at a Victoria town hall meeting on February 27th.
It explains the threats we are up against like Chinook non-retention, punitive Southern Resident Killer Whale regulations and a Department of Fisheries that is slowly squeezing the life blood out of important recreational salmon fisheries.
It lists the consequences of these actions, and importantly provides common sense solutions that will conserve Chinook, help whales and allow sustainable recreational fisheries to survive, plus explaining what anglers can do to achieve these goals.
Watch this important video and share it with your friends.

Nice to see the chinook returns on the THomson but I was floored at the crappy fish handling you can see on ALL the boats in the video

What were these guys thinking? When you see a guy holding a chinook in the water for almost a minute before it can swim away on its own steam, you already know it flopped around on deck in a net then got passed around for hero shots, then finally suffered the indignity of a kiss on the forehead (just for some really helpful inter-species bacteria swapping)

I’m surprised Tom Davis let that behavior get into his video. NGO’s and DFO will see that vid. Crappy fish handling of wild fish in a C&R fishery doesn’t do your hatchery augmentation argument much good, especially when the regulatory language says to keep fish in the water and minimize handling

A wild fish shaken off in the water with a gaff needs about 1/2 a second to swim away (after soaking you with its tail)

That’s the type of fish handling this video should have show-cased.

Recreational salmon angling is under assault
Anglers, your access to recreational salmon fishing is under continued assault. This video is a summary of a power point presentation, delivered by PFA Director Tom Davis, to over 300 concerned anglers at a Victoria town hall meeting on February 27th.
It explains the threats we are up against like Chinook non-retention, punitive Southern Resident Killer Whale regulations and a Department of Fisheries that is slowly squeezing the life blood out of important recreational salmon fisheries.
It lists the consequences of these actions, and importantly provides common sense solutions that will conserve Chinook, help whales and allow sustainable recreational fisheries to survive, plus explaining what anglers can do to achieve these goals.
Watch this important video and share it with your friends.

I was impressed with Tom Davis' live presentation and continue to be puzzled why we can't get these messages out in the media. That's what we need if politicians are listening primarily to other voices, and are thinking more about spin than about salmon conservation and the sport fishery.

What were these guys thinking? When you see a guy holding a chinook in the water for almost a minute before it can swim away on its own steam, you already know it flopped around on deck in a net then got passed around for hero shots, then finally suffered the indignity of a kiss on the forehead (just for some really helpful inter-species bacteria swapping)
You do realize that was probally 30 years ago that part of the video see the hand crank riggers??
How about saying hey guys lets support this and get on board and lets fight this as hard as we can instead of complaining?
Im sorry but you really missed the point of this video. did you even listen to it??
F%^&

With all due respect Wolf, it appears you missed the point of the video. This video was produced very recently. It dates itself with the discussion of the improved upper Fraser chinook returns and the rock slide.

The narrator makes a strong and well-spoken argument for augmenting hatchery returns so rec fishermen can see the presence or absence of an adipose fin and act accordingly. Then as far as I can see, he throws a hand grenade into the mix by showcasing abysmal fish handling of the large wild chinook everyone is trying to protect so there can be a viable hatchery chinook fishery instead of everyone staying tied to the dock

So you’re telling me this guy couldn’t see the irony of that and maybe get out on a modern boat and get some better video footage of what constitutes better handling techniques?

It’s not like I dreamed up how to properly release a wild fish during a wild fish C&R fishery…..it’s in the reg book and that point is not lost on a DFO guy or an NGO guy watching this video

Yes, good intentions but poor execution

With all due respect Wolf, it appears you missed the point of the video. This video was produced very recently. It dates itself with the discussion of the improved upper Fraser chinook returns and the rock slide.

The narrator makes a strong and well-spoken argument for augmenting hatchery returns so rec fishermen can see the presence or absence of an adipose fin and act accordingly. Then as far as I can see, he throws a hand grenade into the mix by showcasing abysmal fish handling of the large wild chinook everyone is trying to protect so there can be a viable hatchery chinook fishery instead of everyone staying tied to the dock

So you’re telling me this guy couldn’t see the irony of that and maybe get out on a modern boat and get some better video footage of what constitutes better handling techniques?

It’s not like I dreamed up how to properly release a wild fish during a wild fish C&R fishery…..it’s in the reg book and that point is not lost on a DFO guy or an NGO guy watching this video

Yes, good intentions but poor execution
This is the problem when somebody tries to do something to fight for access for our Fisheries there's always a critic that sits on the couch. There's so many amazing points and action items that people could take from this video and this is what you choose to focus on? Go sign up for the David Suzuki Foundation newsletter!

It has zero to do with what I chose to focus on or not to focus on. Zero. I am an independent third party critiquing what is supposed to be a video that was produced to change minds and promote public policy.

I am simply playing devil’s advocate and I’ve chosen to insinuate in my own peculiar knuckle -dragging manner that the fish handling in that video completely hamstrings the argument that if DFO will only enhance hatchery production so the rec sector can have at it with all those fin/clipped fish, the rec sector promises that in return, they will treat the wild incidental catch during that fishery with nothing but the tender loving care the dwindling wild spring resource deserves.

I didn’t see any of that tender loving care they promised.

Did you?

It would have been so simple and would have really strengthened the argument to show prudent (modern) fish handling techniques, shaking those big springs while they were still in the water

Last edited:
I agree not the best footage to use. So let's edit that part of the video with some more modern footage showing better fish handling techniques and get this message out to the public to show some of the truth of the matter.

Apart from that old footage the rest of the video is bang on! Thanks for doing this Tom!

I’m guessing that Tom, if he’s as well spoken and thoughtful in person as he sounds to be in that video, will not take offense and would admit that part of the vid could be polished up a bit. The rest of it is outstanding and I sincerely hope it get’s seen by the right people and produces positive action. The plan he suggests for fishing around whales is also a good one and it’s heartening to see someone addressing that dynamic because the whale regs could have stainless steel teeth if the NGO’s have their way.

I just took a ferry and half-way into the crossing the captain backed off on the throttle and we sat dead in the water for at least 20 minutes. The captain got on the intercom and (somewhat sheepishly) apologized for the delay explaining we were all slaves to federal policy….that new policy being that when you see a whale, you have to steer clear until the whale goes on its merry way. Wtf?

It has zero to do with what I chose to focus on or not to focus on. Zero. I am an independent third party critiquing what is supposed to be a video that was produced to change minds and promote public policy.

I am simply playing devil’s advocate and I’ve chosen to insinuate in my own peculiar knuckle -dragging manner that the fish handling in that video completely hamstrings the argument that if DFO will only enhance hatchery production so the rec sector can have at it with all those fin/clipped fish, the rec sector promises that in return, they will treat the wild incidental catch during that fishery with nothing but the tender loving care the dwindling wild spring resource deserves.

I didn’t see any of that tender loving care they promised.

Did you?

It would have been so simple and would have really strengthened the argument to show prudent (modern) fish handling techniques, shaking those big springs while they were still in the water
What you have to remember is these people who are doing this work are volunteers. They are sticking up for your access to Fisheries and requesting better management practices. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback and a critic of somebody who does this type of work. The ngo's that were up against are well-funded machines. I would ask yourself what have you done lately to speak out for public access and better management practices?

So you go out with a guide for catch and release, they put the hook on, they send the gear dow, when the fish bites they grab the rod set the hook, hands you the rods you do some reeling and before you even can see the fish at the side of the boat the guides already flipped it off gaff and it’s gone.

That’s the ideal fish handling

Or do we have time for the fish to lay down on its side so we can throw our rod and reel in there for a pic

Last edited:
The intention of the video was to provide background for many of the issues facing the recreational fishery. There was excellent background information shared overall. I think getting too caught up in what we interpret the video clips to represent takes away from the intent of the video.

We may be jumping to premature conclusions about what practices were shared in the videos. First, I would note that one of the video clips (on my boat) was fish being netted (captured), killed and bio-sampling for DFO taking place - not releases.

Our perceptions around fish handling practices that contribute to incidental mortality of released fish may not be born out in actual science. Air exposure of fish, for example, has been perceived to be a bad thing for post release survival, but this isn't exactly true. We are learning more about which practices contribute to post release mortality through long term holding studies. This new research will be published in the near future, and some findings will challenge our prior perceptions.

Just saying, it may be more appropriate to let the science guide our thoughts and comments regarding some of the fish handling and release practices.

I think if someone things fishing is cruel
and inhumane nothing will change their mind.

For everyone else they might this it looks cool and fun and might even retain some information.

I don’t think the video is trying to convert a non believer

Last edited:
Great video.

Wish that this could be out on the news for everyone to see it.

The main part that I liked was the fact he talked about something that some of us have been saying for a while now. Nothing is being done to help the upper Fraser Chinook stocks. Its time to get some major hatcheries on the Nechako, Caribou and Stuart systems. Get some fish back to these flows. Work with the FN, Im sure they would love to get some fish returning so they could harvest them. Most use traditonal methods as well. The fisheries that these hatcheries could create would mirror what is happening on the Columbia with their Spring, Summer and Upriver bright fisheries. The economic benefit that this would have for these communities as well as across BC would huge.

Start dumping some money into habitat restoration, start doing patrols in the lower Fraser Fraser and shoot the seals that are getting worse every year. There is now pods of them in the Fraser canyon during the spring and summer months that are taking huge numbers at certain choke and resting points. They are now getting to Hells gate.

Not even going to go into the netting issues.

The Chinook closures targeting the rec anglers are just a publicity stunt to appease the clueless general public. To make it look like DFO is actually doing something.

The rec anglers do however have to walk a fine line with the public, the last thing we need is giving any fuel to our opposition.

Sorry for the rant....been seeing the same issues on the Fraser for too long.

Loved seesing the old school riggers and herring strip!

Great video.

Wish that this could be out on the news for everyone to see it.

The main part that I liked was the fact he talked about something that some of us have been saying for a while now. Nothing is being done to help the upper Fraser Chinook stocks. Its time to get some major hatcheries on the Nechako, Caribou and Stuart systems. Get some fish back to these flows. Work with the FN, Im sure they would love to get some fish returning so they could harvest them. Most use traditonal methods as well. The fisheries that these hatcheries could create would mirror what is happening on the Columbia with their Spring, Summer and Upriver bright fisheries. The economic benefit that this would have for these communities as well as across BC would huge.

Start dumping some money into habitat restoration, start doing patrols in the lower Fraser Fraser and shoot the seals that are getting worse every year. There is now pods of them in the Fraser canyon during the spring and summer months that are taking huge numbers at certain choke and resting points. They are now getting to Hells gate.

Not even going to go into the netting issues.

The Chinook closures targeting the rec anglers are just a publicity stunt to appease the clueless general public. To make it look like DFO is actually doing something.

The rec anglers do however have to walk a fine line with the public, the last thing we need is giving any fuel to our opposition.

Sorry for the rant....been seeing the same issues on the Fraser for too long.

Loved seesing the old school riggers and herring strip!
Nailed it!

I was impressed with Tom Davis' live presentation and continue to be puzzled why we can't get these messages out in the media. That's what we need if politicians are listening primarily to other voices, and are thinking more about spin than about salmon conservation and the sport fishery.
Nice to see a front page article bringing out the issues -

The facts of the matter on the whales, the actual facts are..

They took the whales out of the pods and or they died in the process. Some were left but mostly the little ones. Fact

The whales have bounced back into similar numbers since then. Fact

Imbreeding happened alot since that event took place. Fact

Pollution from human built big commercial industry has caused more health issues with long lived marina mammals then anything else. Fact

Sports fishing has so little negative impact on these marine mammals that's its not even measurable into a percentage. It would measure at about 0.00000000000001 percent. Fact

Corruption in BC is at its all time high it's ever been in the history of Canada. Fact.

It's not hard to understand. Just need to lay it out there and we need to do it quick.

Back