Inside Waters Survival

I would say it's geared more towards commercial use, but if you properly register it and it's linked to GPS etc then no it's not useless. Under the "inside waters" theme of this thread I feel like it's definitely less important than other things though.

Kind of reminds me of the fog thread from a while ago and the rise of AIS capability on sport boats.... IMO more of a commercial tool than a recreational one but if you feel more confident with it or it helps you where you operate your boat, go for it ...... With all these extra safety items it just seems like keeping it simple is sometimes better. Getting off topic now though..

it just seems like keeping it simple is sometimes better.

I agree whole hardily. Get back to relying upon yourself before you head out on the water :cool:.

A lot of the new technology has a false sense of security for a lot of boaters. I get where your coming from.

An involved boating course will help in every way possible. The other alternative is time on the water with an experienced operator.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the O.P. you're definitely well on your way to a more prepared time on the water, and it is VERY refreshing to see a less experienced boater in a small boat take it seriously. Too often we listen to distress calls from I&M's (Idiots and Morons) who have run out of gas, had their loose battery tip over, plugged their fuel filter with crap etc etc. I remember the distress call from the very drunk buffoon who was out of beer........

Within the limits of space and load capacity, there is no such thing as too much safety equipment. On my 23 foot boat here is my list;

• All legally required safety equipment and lights and sound signals
  • 10 lifejackets
  • 1 exposure suit
  • 2 immersion suits
  • GPS
  • Radar
  • Radar reflector
  • 2 VHF radios - one DSC with registered MMSI and hooked into GPS
  • More flares than required and always up to date
  • PLB Epirb
  • 6 person Viking liferaft in canister with immersion auto inflate
  • full set of hand tools, electrical and water proof tape, spare electrical and mechanical parts, stainless nuts and bolts, etc
  • Full set of wood plugs for all thru-hulls
  • Over size anchor with heavy chain and 300 feet of rode
  • Extendable 12 foot boat hook
  • Hand held throwing device on 50 foot rope
  • And the most important one, common sense and a healthy respect for the mistress of the mist. Although she is my mistress, she is a cold hearted b*tch who does not love me.......

On my list of items still to buy;
  • AIS VHF hooked into my GPS Chartplotter screen
  • Hand held water proof VHF for my ditch bag

I find everyones insight very helpfull and think we are lucky to have a site like this to hear from and learn from the more experienced mariners out there,

For me first off is ensuring my boat is ready and well maintained. With the size of boat I have it lives in my garage and I go over it regularily and do my own maintenance (600hrs since I purchased used in 2012 (850hrs total)
I like the idea of wood plugs for the thru hulls, Im gonna make them
I recently installed the kicker for an increased level of reliabilty in the event I lose main power although they both run off main tank
I wont go if a weather system is on its way, or winds are forecast above 10knts,Ive been out in 12-16knts in my boat and although Ive managed I have also learned from those experiences.
Radar reflector is now on my list as they are cheap and I am small out there if I do get caught in the fog
The DSC VHF is getting installed regardless and I think the floater clothing/suit for each person is the best way to go so far in addition to the HIT inflatables we wear currently
I already have a NON DSC handheld that is going in the ditch bag and I think im going to purchase a PLB as well

In the event I did strike an object or get overcome by conditions that was going to lead to going down my understanding so far is the VHF will allow me to Mayday and advise verbally to the CG my situation if time allows, followed by DSC Distress from boat if power is still available to VHF when entering water, followed by PLB activation that I understand notifys RCMP or local police to be distributed based on location of PLB coordinates? (Assuming CG in this Situation) That leaves me and whomever was onboard with me in the water with floatersuits on and activated PLB and hopefully the ditch bag with handheld VHF. Hypothetically speaking this could be any where between Vancouver and Nanaimo or any part of HoweSound, and I understand there are many variables to rescue time but I cant help but think the only thing between me and death is the floater suit,is it realistic to expect a floater suit to maintain enough bodyheat to wait out a rescue in the mentioned circumstances? Im guessing it could be hours...

Might be a good idea to do some research on close by docks in the area you are fishing. Just incase you have to run for shelter. Also a list of phone numbers of offices or business around the docks could also help in an emergency.

Emergency number is 1-800-567-5111. Or *16 on the cell phone is a quick way to get Victoria coast guard. They will as for you GPS location and stay on the line till help gets arrives.

I bristle just a little when I hear that "technology creates a false sense of security" coupled with the suggestion that one might be better off without it. For me it's a given that I and the grey matter between my ears are the most important safety device on the boat. It's also a given that I am the one most responsible for my own safety. That said, I have AIS, properly configure DSC, radar, GPS/Chartplotter hooked to the AIS and an EPRIB. I'm all for having more rather than less information and then using my brain to prioritize what is most important. I just can't understand an argument that implies less information/safety gear is useful, it's just an adjunct to the most important safety device in the boat - my own brain/judgement. I will say that IMO, some of these fancy devices free up my attention a little. For example, if I see a ship on the AIS and on my radar, the radar doesn't tell me which direction it is going and how fast (unless I look at it for quite awhile). The AIS tells me the direction immediately and the speed and intended destination with a mouse over and a click. Boats going away from me are in a lower worry category than those coming towards me and I can adjust my focus appropriately. That doesn't mean I'm still not looking out the window with my own eyes but it does mean that I "can" see a lot farther with these fancy devices. AIS allows me to even "see" around corners of land that I can't see around with radar.

I don't know about all this fancy stuff. me I learned how to read paper charts, keep them aboard along with a good hand held compass. I have radar chart plotter and all the proper gear but old school will almost always get you to land if you are afloat.

Hypothetically speaking this could be any where between Vancouver and Nanaimo or any part of HoweSound, and I understand there are many variables to rescue time but I cant help but think the only thing between me and death is the floater suit,is it realistic to expect a floater suit to maintain enough bodyheat to wait out a rescue in the mentioned circumstances? Im guessing it could be hours...

Reading about "clo values" now and can probably answer my own question. Like Seadna said in an earlier post Mustang lists survival time for a typical 0.420 clo value suit to be close to 6hrs in 7c calm water.

If AIS makes you more comfortable, then use it. It definitely has a purpose and can be a great tool for some people. Anyone who regularly fishes in high traffic areas or anchors for halibut probably love AIS. But it's scary to think of a bunch of fast moving rec boats using AIS and maybe even relying on it.

I meant keeping it simple and relying less on technology is better for the average sporty, which I definitely think is true. Knowing the basics of the colregs, buoyage, simple navigation. Having the obvious safety gear and knowing how to use it properly to give yourself the best chance...

The one tech thing that is a deal breaker is obviously the EPIRB/PLB... Especially for offshore or remote areas.

Emergency number is 1-800-567-5111. Or *16 on the cell phone is a quick way to get Victoria coast guard. They will as for you GPS location and stay on the line till help gets arrives.

Thanks KB, good idea to have stored in phone
the toll free 1-800-567-5111
and *16 is pretty easy to remember

I bristle just a little when I hear that "technology creates a false sense of security" coupled with the suggestion that one might be better off without it. - .

Seadna, I did not intend to suggest that you are better off without a instrument , obviously you are very dialled in , but many boaters spend less than 20 hours a season on their boats and they need to understand what the true limitations are of their electronics and what it takes to be truly conversant in its use , especially in emergencies. We now have boaters running around in the fog steering solely with GPS , some who think that AIS is telling them the location of ALL the boats on the water. I have been on boats that have the radar so incorrectly adjusted that they are a danger to everyone. We now live in a age of gadgets , not saying that these gadgets aren't cool and useful , but they don't replace experience and caution. Knowledge is power but a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing.!!

beemer

Thanks, good idea. I just looked the numbers up and it lists #727 but not the *16
The toll free 1-800-567-5111 is listed though
I talked to them yesterday and they said to us the *16 not the #727. They told me they have to change the numbewr on the website.

Anyone want to buy a boat. I am too scared to go out now.

Lol. I think as with most things that have risk attached work or play, a certain level of fear keeps us focused. No fear can be far more dangerous imo.

Apparently cricket is deadly now too. Thank god I got into fishing instead.

The U.S. Coast Guard provides some good insight with their 2012 statistics:

Almost seventy-one (71) percent of all fatal boating accident victims drowned, and of
those, almost eighty-five (85) percent were not reported as wearing even a life jacket.
• Almost fourteen percent (14) of deaths occurred on boats where the operator had
received some boating safety instruction. Only nine (9) percent of deaths occurred on vessels
where the operator had received boating safety instruction from an approved
course provider.
• Seven out of every ten boaters who drowned were using vessels less than 21 feet in
length.
• Operator inattention, operator inexperience, improper lookout, machinery failure, and
excessive speed rank as the top five primary contributing factors in accidents.
• Alcohol use is the leading contributing factor in fatal boating accidents; it was listed
as the leading factor in 17% of deaths.

None of the top contributing factors was a lack of electronic equipment - in fact, improper lookout and operator inattention (perhaps due to an abundance of electronic equipment) is. I have been on boats where the operator was fixated on screens and almost oblivious to other hazards.

As others have said: get some training, get some experience in good conditions, don't be a distracted operator, don't be an impaired operator, do keep your boat in good shape and do wear a lifejacket. Then you have a very good chance of enjoying a lifetime of safe boating as we all want to do.

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/workflow_staging/Page/705.PDF

Back