Hydraulic Steering with kicker

Hey all, I am getting all my steering very soon so I would like to know how you have done it. I have a hard top boat so I want steering inside while driving. When I'm on the deck fishing I want to be able to steer the kicker from the deck.

Some people have individual Cylinders on big motor and kicker. Some have bar tying the two motors together and just one cylinder. I'm not all that worried about total costs if it is Way better to go one way or the other.

I don't want to be leaned over the back of the boat disconnecting rods between kicker and big motors all the time either. I appreciate the advice:D

I installed the troll eze, electric over hydraulic system, works great. Just an extension cord with a toggle switch in the handle to steer. I upgraded the cylinder to a seastar but know others that bought the basic kit and have yet to have problems.

I also have the troll eze, am a little curious as to what the seastar cylinder is.

When I refer to cylinder, I do mean a complete hydraulic steering system. I will have two helms, one under the hardtop (Main) and one outside in the weather on the deck. I have seen the electronic systems, but I can't stop but thinking that if that failed I would be in trouble. Even so If the hydraulic failed I'd prob be in the same situation.

I'd like to hear how others do it as well, thanks all. It really does help!

Using a tie bar to your kicker is the way to go, they can be rigged so you dont have to remove them. Having a second hydraulic helm tied into the main at the back for me is a must because I need the main to turn with my kicker other wise I cant turn sharp enough.

Hope this helps

Absolutely, Chubby, I have looked at the seastar website and read other peoples situations and this is what I'm doing. 2 Helms, One hyd. Cylinder, with a tie bar and quick connects. Looks really slick, and if done right I don't have to ever remove the tie bar when tilting.

Back