Hydraulic steering stiffness 9.9 kicker

MRWood

Just getting the boat ready for the summer. Noticed some big time stiffness trying to turn my kicker by hand. I have a hydraulic steering system (TR1). Could air in the system cause the difficult turning to be stiff?
I started noticing something later last season when trolling on the TR1 autopilot.

Last edited:
Looks like the same issue in the past with my Yamaha kicker. No grease nipple in the tilt tube housing. This will eventually seize on you during the off season so my recommendation is annually slide the aux off the kicker bracket pull out the steering rod and grease/ clean liberally.
Other wise if it seizes and if you force the aux you will bend the rod. Replacement $$$$.

Looks like the same issue in the past with my Yamaha kicker. No grease nipple in the tilt tube housing. This will eventually seize on you during the off season so my recommendation is annually slide the aux off the kicker bracket pull out the steering rod and grease/ clean liberally.
Other wise if it seizes and if you force the aux you will bend the rod. Replacement $$$$.
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by the “aux”?

I believe my hydraulic steering cylinder fits inside the tilt tube and the restriction seems to be in the cylinder. The ram feels smooth to a certain point and then becomes difficult to push in at a certain point. Feels like the hydraulic fluid is compressing, might be a valve issue in the system?
IMG_0114.jpegIMG_0115.jpeg

Just took the port side hydraulic line off and that allowed the ram to go in. Then when I pulled the the ram out it was difficult so I released the starboard side bleed screw and it released right away. That’s telling me there must be some blockage or faulty valve back towards the reservoir.

Does the Tr3 system normally allow you to turn motor when not in use? If it normally allows you to manually move ,( steer )engine then yes a valve is stuck

A hydraulic cylinder with hoses on will not normally move, might compress a little then bounce back.

Does the Tr3 system normally allow you to turn motor when not in use? If it normally allows you to manually move ,( steer )engine then yes a valve is stuck

A hydraulic cylinder with hoses on will not normally move, might compress a little then bounce back.
Yep it usually lets me move the motor right or left with no issue.

IMG_0117.jpeg
Took the brain box off and took it apart. Inside there is the oil reservoir, pump motor and a bunch of electronics. 19 little fiddly little connections 😖. Emptied all the old hydraulic oil, cleaned everything, put it all back together, reinstalled, added new hydraulic oil (steering oil) and bled the system, re connected the 19 connectors and tested. Seems to be working fine now 😮‍💨. Driveway fine that is lol. Thanks guys for the suggestions and tips. Beer time now.

Working like a charm. TR1 system over 20 years old and still working great on my 1999 yami kicker that won’t die.

Last edited:
Back