How to get invited back

casper5280

Crew Member
Just saw this on another site and thought it would be a good print out to give some people you may know. I think we all know a few people to give it to.

HOW TO GET INVITED BACK
It's that time of year… the offshore water temps are getting warmer, yellows are showing up under kelps on the local banks, and the tuna and dorado are a little further down the line, but no doubt moving north into private boat range. Time to dust off the offshore gear and get ready for some fun if you haven't already. While some of us anglers are lucky enough to be able to afford our own boat that is capable of making the run offshore, many of us are also sitting here with our fingers crossed hoping to get an invite from our buddy with that sweet new rig.
Sure there is always the option to hop on a cattle boat or 6 pack charter, but there is something special about being on a private boat and being part of the hunt…. spotting a kelp a few hundred yards out, sticking the gaff in your buddy's personal best Bluefin, or watching a school of hungry dodos charge the boat on a handful of chum you just tossed out are things you can only experience from a private boat.
The little bit of extra responsibility and involvement makes everything that much sweeter when the trip turns out successful and you're coming home with the fish holds plugged.
Don't know anyone with a boat? Check out the BD Offshore Trip Planning Forum for guys looking to fill spots on their boats.

While I'm sure most of you reading this article have had to opportunity to fish on a private boat, I'm also sure that there is a select group of you that gets repeatedly invited back on boats while others are left begging for rides. Over the years I've had the pleasure of fishing with lots of different anglers on many different boats and have learned quite a bit from all of these trips. The following are a few tips that you can follow to help ensure that you're the one getting the invite when the bite gets hot:
Pay up! This almost goes without saying, but be ready to pay for your portion of the trip. And have cash ready before hand so you don't have to run to the ATM when you pull up to the dock. Gas, bait and food are expensive on these trips. Some captains will be up front and give you a dollar amount for your share while others won't. If you don't know how much you should offer, just ask. If you shortchange him, don't expect an invite back. Boat owners are dealing with tons of expenses like maintenance and storage so err on the side of paying too much; it will be appreciated. If it's too much, the captain will let you know. In addition to cash, I usually like to leave a little gift with the owner. It doesn't have to be anything major, but a fillet knife, pliers, or some Boat Cleaning Products will go a long way and score you some points.
It's not a charter, be ready to work! Just like you're splitting up the expenses, you're also splitting up the labor. Don't be the guy that naps all day except when you're on a bite. Scrub the decks between bites. Help keep the cockpit organized. Spend time in the binos looking for kelps, birds or jumpers. Gaff fish if you're not hooked up. Offer to clean the fish at the end of the day. The day isn't done when you pull back into the harbor either… be ready to clean that deck until it's spotless and all the gear is packed up. Remember, when you get off the boat you're typically done, but the boat owner is dealing with maintenance and labor year round so the more you can do while you're on the boat, the better.

Know your role! While it's important to help out with everything on the boat, don't forget that you're the guest. Unless you're invited for your services as a guide, leave the captain duties up to the boat owner. Feel free to make friendly suggestions but always remember, whether you feel your more experienced or not, the boat owner is the decision maker.
Do you get seasick? If you know you do, or even think there is a slight chance you might get sick, take something like Dramamine or Scopace before leaving the dock. Not only will it ruin your day, but it also puts a damper on the trip for everyone else. And if you still manage to get sick offshore, please do your best to aim clear of the deck and gunnels of the boat. No one wants to wash last night's dinner off the boat.
Pack light. Before a trip it's always a good idea to check with the boat owner to see how much room is available for gear. No one wants to fish on a boat tripping over extra rods that don't have rod holders, and coolers and tackle boxes taking up all the deck space. Most boat owners that I've fished with will bring their own trolling gear and a cooler for you to throw your food/drinks in. If that's the case you don't need more than a duffel bag with some extra clothes, food/drinks, a couple Plano boxes with hooks, lead and a couple irons and 2 or 3 rods for a local offshore trip. Click here for tackle tips for local offshore trips.

If you have to drink or smoke, check with the captain before the trip. If you're looking to get hammered while you fish, stick to cattle boats, or better yet, the pier. Most captains are cool with you having a few beers, but I always like to check with them first. If nothing else, it will get you a little more respect for asking. Smoking is a little more of a touchy subject for some. If the captain isn't a smoker himself, he probably doesn't want to be smelling and inhaling the smoke from your cigs all day. Again, it's best to ask before you commit to the trip.
If you don't know, speak up! Everyone understands that you want to be helpful out there, but if there is something you're not familiar with or uncomfortable doing, say something. The boat owner would much rather ask someone else to do something or teach you how to do it then have it done wrong. We once got back from a trip and asked a guy to go grab the truck and trailer. Turns out he wasn't comfortable driving a trailer and ended up cutting a corner too short in the parking lot, taking out a parked truck and really screwing up the fender on the trailer. I would have much rather gone to get the truck myself than deal with that mess.

The above points are by no means an all inclusive list to guarantee and invite back on a trip, but they're a good place to start. Nearly everyone I've fished with runs their boat differently, but by following the above guidelines you'll earn the respect of the boat owner. Even if you're not the most skilled angler, the above actions will be noticed and will help you move towards the top of the list of who he'll be calling for the next trip.

And if there is a localalized tradition surrounded by the suspicion that something good or bad luck don't go against that idea regardless of what that idea is or your ideas about that are.
Had a guy bust out his bundle of bananas half way through 2 hours of no bites the other day. I am not very superstitious BUT I try not to have bananas on the boat And when things aren't goin well and everyone on the boat is focused on trying to figure out what is wrong and all the other boats are getting them and you find out there are bananas on the boat, arghhh. Its no wonder why this "tradition" lives. Don't think I dont know how ridiculous that sounds. I know. So we throw the bananas overboard and fish for 2 more hours without a bite and finally Start getting them.

A another point that could be made is there is much pleasure for captains preparing for a trip. And after a trip when all is said and done there is always more cleaning and washing of coolers, buckets, kitchens, vacume sealers, and carcses to get rid of. For this reason it is a good idea to remember that it's more than just the day of fishing that is involved. Ask if everything from the trip is complete and offer to help out till everything is done.

Good post Casper. Lets try not to derail this thread on the bananas BS. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post Casper. Lets try not to derail this thread on the bananas BS. Lol
Just had to deal with this after a week in Ucluelet. Won't go in to detail but took 2 guys with me and one will be invited back anytime and the other will never ever be invited back. He won't even get a copy of this letter it just isn't worth it. Thought of getting some of these printed out in large type to post at the dock or post it on the cabin door. Another good one that I had on my old boat that was given to me by a great guy that anyways paid or did his share was "THIS BOAT RUNS ON GAS NOT FRIENDSHIP". He asked very nicely but was also very insistently if he could put it on the dash. The following year he had another on he found "GAS, GRASS, OR butt NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE" didn't put that on the boat thought either the cops would start looking for weed or the other fisherman thought I was gay. LOL

,, Haa haaa just about shat myself when you pulled them out...lol turned out to be a crappie day only 32 fish... :)

I eat one everyday out there.......a good source of potassium ;)

haha good thread, my boat is small and doesn't cost alot but my buddy has a bigger boat and he was going to get a small trophy plate for the dash the said "THIS BOAT DON"T RUN ON THANK'S"..so true for guys with a big boat, lots of expense and such alway do your part n pitch in and help with the after fishing chores.

I have a plate mounted right in front of the passenger seat that says "this boat runs on gas not thanks", I have had people comment on it and I have had people put cash on the dash always gets a comment but there are still those that don't get it!

Back