How deep do you go?

Kent K

Last trip out of Winter Harbour we noticed a guy anchored up on a hump in 450ft of water. How common is this and is it productive?

Last trip out of Winter Harbour we noticed a guy anchored up on a hump in 450ft of water. How common is this and is it productive?
Some guys like fishing 60-200 some guys like going as deep as 600-700
Both can be fairly productive in different spots at different times personally I don’t fish deeper then 260-270 cause I don’t wanna reel it up

Productive i am sure it is most of the fish we scent in are coming from deep areas, but time and headache and effort is multiplied. Lines crossing, checking bait tide pull and weight needed are all multiplied at that depth. Also anchor rode would need to be at least 900 ft to fish in 450. I try and keep my depth not much deeper than 300 and love fishing above 200.

When I commercial fished hali our shallow set would be 1200 feet or so

I fish as shallow as possible; as little as 40ft. When I first fished Swiftsure in the 1980's we went 350ft & I never went more than 5 seconds after contacting bottom to hook-up.

We fish on anchor up to 300, primarily for the 2lb weight restriction. Occasionally we'll go deeper if current allows.

Has anyone ever gotten a real interpretation from DFO if using a downrigger applies to the 2lb rule?

I could be wrong about this but i was told the weight restriction isn't 2 pounds but is actually 1 KG (2.2 pounds). If this is so you'd think someone out there would be making up 1 KG weights.....

We fish on anchor up to 300, primarily for the 2lb weight restriction. Occasionally we'll go deeper if current allows.

Has anyone ever gotten a real interpretation from DFO if using a downrigger applies to the 2lb rule?

The regs have a proviso for downrigger weights, can't remember the exact wording but you're good as long as you're fishing with a release clip on your main line.

Back