Honda 9.9 Remote Steering?

Does anybody know how the remote steering on the the Honda 9.9 25" long shaft kicker works?

I'm thinking about pairing it with a BF150 4 stroke and I'd really like to be able to steer the kicker from the helm. I assume that "remote steering" means that it hooks up to the same steering system as the main engine?

I'd really prefer to not have to get into 3rd party solutions for kicker steering if I can avoid it!

Hi Teamchachi
I think that your assumption is incorrect. You are either talking about remote controls which are separte controls similar to what is on your bf150 or something like "goetz" steering. If it is just remote controls you will have to hook your two motors together with a rod type system.

Remote steering generally means "no tiller". The easiest thing to do is to connect your kicker to your main outboard as you mentioned.

This means it is set up to EXCEPT a remote steering system. However to do what you want will cost less then $100 using a infront</u> of motors tie bar system. We do it all the time so I will post pics from work tommorow.

Cheers ME

hi I have the same combination on my boat, I have hydralic steering and bought the extention for the 9.9 and then connected the two together with the stainless rod from honda.The only problem is that you can't tilt the 9.9 with the rod attach, so what I did was rounded the head of the bolt on the main engine and drilled a hole in the top to put a pin in,that way if you what to tilt up the kicker all you need to do is pull the pin. Mine works great did all last week with no problems.

That does sound like a system like the Goetz steering. The control box on the Goetz is a remote on a 20 ft cord hooked to the motor and you operate it similar to a playstation. It looks like a sweet setup but it costs around $800

Teamchachi you need to check out http://www.nautamatic.com/ The TR 1 Gold is the best I have ever seen. It is considerably more than the $ 800.00 that Scott H mentioned. With the exchange rates the way they are you will still get a great deal. I am sure you could find a dealer in your area and go for a test drive. Good luck! Mike

without a doubt the tr-1 is the only way to fish it requires a little set up but is hard to beat. call or go to tr-1's website for details and be sure to ask them about any specials they have. I bought mine direct and got the wireless remotes for free. The remotes are the size of a car remote and it hangs around your neck while fishing. it controls boat speed and direction. you can also link it to your gps to go to selected waypoints or to follow a route...

I've seen and drooled over the TR-1. However, I'm not quite ready to drop $2500 on a kicker steering solution. Most of the time I've got at least 3 people in the boat so steering from the helm isn't really an issue. Plus, thats where the GPS and sounder is.

I got the scoop from the guys at Honda Centre in Burnaby. The BF9.9 25" model has remote controls for throttle. It also has a steering tube that you could use to connect it to your main steering if it was going to be your main engine. Like on a small tender or sail boat. In my case, they're just going to connect it to the BF150 main using an articulated stainless tie rod. Apparently this rod is connected all the time and allows either engine to be raised without having to mess with the rod.

quote:Originally posted by teamchachi

I've seen and drooled over the TR-1. However, I'm not quite ready to drop $2500 on a kicker steering solution. Most of the time I've got at least 3 people in the boat so steering from the helm isn't really an issue. Plus, thats where the GPS and sounder is.

I got the scoop from the guys at Honda Centre in Burnaby. The BF9.9 25" model has remote controls for throttle. It also has a steering tube that you could use to connect it to your main steering if it was going to be your main engine. Like on a small tender or sail boat. In my case, they're just going to connect it to the BF150 main using an articulated stainless tie rod. Apparently this rod is connected all the time and allows either engine to be raised without having to mess with the rod.
Hi, the only problem is that system ( I have it by the way) is if you have hydraulic steering , if you tilt your kicker by itself ,the rod will hit your hydraulic steering. Highflyn

Back