Here's a question for the forum

black dog

How far do you fish your lines behind your downrigger? I have always set them back the approximate lenght of the boat. Is there certain times to set the lines farther back, (or closer)? Leader length is always talked about but not too much mention of distance from the downrigger.

I tend to set them alot furthur back than most people. 50ft+(not when fishing a spot like port only when theres no boats to worry about) The only problems i can think of is turning and keeping the lines behind the boat maybe a few other small ones. The benefit is that you know the cannonballs/boat wont spook the fish. Im curious if you fish without a black box will setting your lines furthur back help in reducing electric charges?

I always pin my line 14 to 16 or 20 pulls back ; I am looking for a long slow arc from my flasher , in my opinion when you go past 20 pulls you do not gain greater roll only more drag , for what its worth.

Cheers

AL

Great question!
It depends on what I'm tageting and what action I want to impart.
There is alot of variables to contend with here.
1) boat speed
2) current conditions
3) type of lure
4) type of flasher
5) leader length
The list goes on.
Change one thing and you change your presentation.
The only thing I can suggest is change one thing at a time and look at your results.
For example: If you increase your leader length, the lure's action relative to your flasher will decrease.
If you decrease the distance between your flasher and your clip-on point, the flasher will increase it's action but will have less scope in it's rotation.
Don't change more that one thing at a time otherwise you will be searching forever for the best combination.
It took me more than a couple years to figure out Chum but once you get tuned in....watch out.
Pick a starting point and tweek a little at a time and keep a log book as to what is working and whats not.

It depends also on the fish you are after, for springs we are about 25 feet back, for sockeye maybe 3-4', coho 10-15', for speed we are about 1.7 knts (GPS) for sockeye and 2.4 for springs.

I strarted running mine about 15-20 feet back max. There is a certain point when the flasher does not do it's job. The closer to the ball the better the action.

quote:Originally posted by tinboatrobb

I started running mine about 15-20 feet back max. There is a certain point when the flasher does not do it's job. The closer to the ball the better the action.
Wrong!

A very successful guide out of Tahsis runs his flashers at least 100' behind the wire and is catching fish when others are washing tackle.

Flasher go in a circle when they're going the right speed, it's that simple.

^ at 100' feet back the flasher would rotate much slower then if it was 10' back. but it still would move

^ at 100' feet back the flasher would rotate much slower then if it was 10' back. but it still would move

fairly tight..which IF you fish in the crowds NEAR tahsis, may help you keep that fish....

..but like Blueorca said, it's just another variable in a tuned system of speed, leader L, etc...LOVE that one variable sci method stuff....

BUT....I will give it a try, never have run one that FAR back.....

who is the guide in T-Town? ...not that I am...competitive...or anything, can learn ALWAYS :)

fairly tight..which IF you fish in the crowds NEAR tahsis, may help you keep that fish....

..but like Blueorca said, it's just another variable in a tuned system of speed, leader L, etc...LOVE that one variable sci method stuff....

BUT....I will give it a try, never have run one that FAR back.....

who is the guide in T-Town? ...not that I am...competitive...or anything, can learn ALWAYS :)

Back