"bottom bouncing" question

it’s the simple things really
It is! I wasn't kidding at all. I hooked up to a few rocks in Bamfield and managed to circle back and pluck the balls out after having to jump inside and replace fuses because the riggers overloaded. After all was said and done, I hadn't lost a single piece of gear. I was elated. Also a good reason to have plenty of braid on the riggers.

It is! I wasn't kidding at all. I hooked up to a few rocks in Bamfield and managed to circle back and pluck the balls out after having to jump inside and replace fuses because the riggers overloaded. After all was said and done, I hadn't lost a single piece of gear. I was elated. Also a good reason to have plenty of braid on the riggers.
lotta stabby grabby rocks around Bam-town to be sure…i’ve donated to the Stizz-pile there

I was fishing at Tunstall Bay this weekend right on the bottom but found it tough to hit the bottom sometimes with a #15 cannonball. Does anyone use a #20 ball for winter fishing? I noticed some boats at Hutt and Tunstall that were fishing in 200 plus feet of water. Are people bouncing the bottom here? Based on my calculation, taking into account the current, you would need 250' of line out on the downrigger.

I was fishing at Tunstall Bay this weekend right on the bottom but found it tough to hit the bottom sometimes with a #15 cannonball. Does anyone use a #20 ball for winter fishing? I noticed some boats at Hutt and Tunstall that were fishing in 200 plus feet of water. Are people bouncing the bottom here? Based on my calculation, taking into account the current, you would need 250' of line out on the downrigger.
It can be tough. I fish with 15's and sometimes when trying to hit bottom in 200' with current I'll have 300' of line out and still not hit bottom.

It can be tough. I fish with 15's and sometimes when trying to hit bottom in 200' with current I'll have 300' of line out and still not hit bottom.
Thanks yeah I've found the same. Around 150 - 170' is manageable but over 170' the cannonball has a tough time getting down there. I've definitely had success though in the 'mud.

18's are common on the 2100 series Scotty downriggers for winter fishing at depth.

Sometimes in crowded areas, dragging the balls in the gravel and mud works really well. Maybe it's whatever gets kicked up, but I think it's more the erratic action it puts on your gear when that ball is pounding and kicking back

I'm curious what everyone's process for finding the right depth to troll with a downrigger close to bottom.

Do you use a chart or calculator? (or do the math in your head?)
Do you find your speed/line angle then lower until you're literally bouncing bottom then back it off X amount? (if so, how much do you back off. Do you lose any balls or gear with this method?)
Stop the boat, drop it to the bottom, then put it in gear and get up to speed? (saw a guide do this once but doing the math it seems like it would be too far off bottom?)
Are you so close to the bottom that any fluctuation in depth you need to constantly be attending the DR depth?

apologies if this is a super noobie question, but I've been told to "drag it in the mud" so many times that I'd love to know what people are doing when they say that.
I drop it until the cannonball catches bottom and snaps off completely, losing my ball, snubber, clip, flasher and spoon. That way I know I’ve gone too far and log that depth in my charts.

If I have someone on the boat that can drive the depth/contour line well I'll work the downrigger by dropping it fast to the depth on the sounder. I then slowly drop it till I feel it hit bottom then bring up a few feet. I do that every few minutes but also keep an eye on the sonar to see if bottom is coming up.
There is a higher risk of loosing your ball BUT I found that a bounce once in a while can entice a strike.

In areas I know to have a sandy or muddy bottom, I might let the balls hit bottom. You'll see little flutters of the rod tip rather than the distinct tug, tug of a fish on the line.

I'm not yet sufficiently pro to use the Stizzla method.

I drop it until the cannonball catches bottom and snaps off completely, losing my ball, snubber, clip, flasher and spoon. That way I know I’ve gone too far and log that depth in my charts.
Hahaha! Glad to see you’re back bro! I’ve missed your humour!

Fishing halibut on Swiftsure a few years back west of the ranch, popped a 35 pounder, tough to bring up, then hey whats this green line snagged on the gear? Pulled it in and got a 50 pounder on the the end 🤣
Here's another one, Swiftsure again, Tandem single hook rig, 2 chickens. Caught a huge cod which promptly barfed up an octopus leg, it REALLY stank. So I threw it on this hookup, they musta been fighting over it. Check out the photo

Attachments

• IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2613.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 93
Here's another one, Swiftsure again, Tandem single hook rig, 2 chickens. Caught a huge cod which promptly barfed up an octopus leg, it REALLY stank. So I threw it on this hookup, they musta been fighting over it. Check out the photo
thats awesome!! lol, which one did you release? ;)

Back