4 downrigger spacing

mitch184

Setting up new to me boat. 26' Osprey short cabin. Thinking ahead about running 4 downriggers. Pretty deadset on running 4 as I like a challenge and my normal crew is pretty savvy. Just curious on 2 thoughts I had on spacing. I've seen both ways done. For sockeye in freshwater, I run them like option 2 because I want all the gear really close together.

1. Run 2 at the corners of the stern, straight out back or 1 click in. 60" extensions all the way back and 12/15# balls. Then, since it's a short cabin, I can run a set about 11' forward and run them straight out the sides with 60" booms and 18/20# balls. Roughly 15' between the ends of the downriggers.

Pros... The downriggers ends are roughly 15' apart and with 15' drop backs the fronts *should* never tangle with the rears except possibly when the rear is dropping too fast.
Cons...... the bait/rigs from the front downrigger are really close to the balls on the rear riggers. Possibility of tangles or ball spooking fish?

2. Run all 4 near the stern. 2 middles straight back with 12/15#, and 2 outers pointing outward with 18/20#.

Pros... all the gear is behind the boat about same distance so if the fish bites front set, less distance to go before it's clear of the rear. Gear is also closer together which is definitely a plus for sockeye.
Cons.... definitely cannot turn sharp without raising the rears at least 20' up. More coordination dropping and turning in general.

Guess it could be a poll. Trying to figure out ahead of time because I'm doing Burnewiin mounts and want to drill holes onces. Thanks!

multiple riggers.... i have 3 along the back transom have a 5 rigger setup on the 25' berty and on my older boat both I/O .... then with two on the sides

you I/O or podded with outboards?????

Attachments

• IMAG0685.jpg
    IMAG0685.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG0926.jpg
    IMAG0926.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Mine is setup exactly like Wildthing. Usually only run 3, the 2 on the side further up and the one in the center at the back. Only ever run 5 when I have all the pro's on board.

To both, when you run 3, would it work better if the 2 further up were even further up towards the bow? How far forward are they now?

I cant belive you guys run 5. That's awesome.

I run mine mid ship, about 3' off of the corners. The ones in the back corners are a bit of a pain to run from that position, I like having them there because you can turn fairly tight. Like I said don't run 5 a lot, but love having all those rod holders to move rods around.

my side pair on the berty where already there, i put the three across the back,
as the 25' does taper back in so not as wide as mid ships with a 10' beam ... my friend runs 4 on his north river the two at back are just inside of the side gunnels and i think his side are about 2 feet back from there ...

How long of setbacks and release clips do you run with 3 or more?

Also, do you see any drawbacks from having the front riggers 8-10' forward? I'm guessing having all 4 in back is more popular since most decks aren't as long or would have to be a walkaround.

Hi Mitch i make up my own release clips and use 250lb mono usually off the rear of the fin on the 15lbers i dont fish super deep 150's
and have them so my ball can keep dragging in the water and the have a bit of slack to be able slide the scotty release into the tube rod holder ... about 5'-6' and use the PNT cannoball mini snaps ......don't run snubbers as i like to have a bell's on the outside two deep ones get a jingles and know bouncing bottom ..... also tried the longer arms but even with 15lbers to much leverage and for the super sharp eyed ...yes there is digital counters on std riggers which i modded ...
oh and that running 6 was solo 3 stacked per side ....
IMAG1494.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160909_083503.jpg
    IMG_20160909_083503.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20160914_164029.jpg
    IMG_20160914_164029.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
How long of a boom have you tried? Seems like the mounts are the weak link in a long arm setup unless you run cable supports back.

How long of a boom have you tried? Seems like the mounts are the weak link in a long arm setup unless you run cable supports back.
you can see in the 3rd pic a converted longer arm 60" of outer tube then the std inner so over 72" for sure only tried it on one side on the older boat which had a alloy angle joining all of the 3 riggers from one side to the other so pretty rigid set up .......deffo not recommened on a glass boat for sure and was used to try get a bigger spread ... but on the berty have out riggers and planar boards to try out just for fun on open boat free water

Got it. Yeah I im going to strengthen up the gunnel and use a large backing plate, but I'm leerious of a longer boom with glass as well. Especially with 18# balls

i know a Zeta big cat thats gone 6 cannon's but his beam is 15' i think ....lol

If you need more than 2 lines. Maybe your not a great fisherman.
OK the exception would be Sockey.
Maybe you should try going up against a senior guide with 4-12 clients on board-on a time limited charter- who have never played a salmon before. Prepare to be schooled.

Back