Help with mounting SS rod holder to Scotty boom

Whole in the Water

I want to mount this SS rod holder onto the boom of my Scotty downrigger to replace the plastic Scotty ones as they have been know to break over time. I have already tried just clamping it on the boom, but it twists/moves when fishing and I don't want to lose my rod & reel.

I am thinking of drilling hole through the top of the cap of one of the two sides that clamps onto the boom. I cannot get access to the inside of the boom tube so I was thinking of using a SS concrete wedge anchor bolt to keep the rod holder from twisting.

What do others think of this idea? Are there better ways/ideas to bolt this securely to the boom? If so please share. Thanks.

1665160829898.png1665161207459.png

Last edited:
I put a good quality piece of rubber on it and clamped it down and it still slips. Should I just reef down on the bolts? I don't want to damage the rod boom.

Last edited:
The original mounted holder has a thru bolt I thought. What about tapping the outer clamp and put a bolt threaded thru the clamp and the original Scotty boom hole is just for keeping alignment (stop the rolling of the holder

Not sure if the original rod holder does or not as they look like and are described by Scotty as a clamp on type like this

1665174419514.png

They do have a bolt through model

1665174460849.png
but this is not what I have

From personal experience with a rod holder breaking at the connection and almost losing a rod and reel to the sea gods. I upgraded and got the duo rod holder base. I don’t like the how it’s just a piece of plastic holding the rod holder to the boom.

The duo rod holds are most solid mounting to a base. Just my thoughts and you can find them used on Facebook market for a decent price.

0A071EE0-B8A6-43CE-A2C9-6F114D62E839.jpeg

clamp them as tight as you're comfortable with and a little weld and it won't spin. But really, it shouldn't spin if you get the right size clamp for the tube, and put a bike tire innertube in there for friction.

Drill a 3/16 hole in center of cap, tap to 1/4 inch thread nf or nc. Clamp back on to downrigger where you want it, put a 1/4 inch set screw in cap tighten down to mark downrigger shaft. Remove unit to see where set screw marked downrigger shaft, drill a 1/8 inch hole in shaft. Now clamp holder back on use the 1/8 inch hole for the set screw to seat into.

The newer booms have a routered out slot for the rod holder base piece so it doesn’t move. Are your downriggers an older version? I don’t mean new as in the last few years, I think they’ve been this way for quite a while.

From personal experience with a rod holder breaking at the connection and almost losing a rod and reel to the sea gods. I upgraded and got the duo rod holder base. I don’t like the how it’s just a piece of plastic holding the rod holder to the boom.

The duo rod holds are most solid mounting to a base. Just my thoughts and you can find them used on Facebook market for a decent price.

View attachment 85990

I tried every combination and this works best for me. I didn't like the additional torque on the boom, plus it was a never ending adjust, crank, replace hockey tape. These work great and won't snap off, just for the hell of it.

Back