Heads up, Scotty rod holder post.

Going to ask about the extensions as well boys. I set up my riggers with the Orca rod holders and the Scotty short extensions, any known issues with those set ups a guy should be aware of. I know with the older Orcas there was issues with some of them opening on the back side but with the new design that has been fixed.

Last edited:
Going to ask about the extensions as well boys. I set up my riggers with the Orca row holders and the Scotty short extensions, any know issues with those set ups a guy should be aware of. I know with the older Orcas there was issues with some of them opening on the back side but with the new design that has been fixed.

I would think similar issues are very possible, if the injection material (Plastic) is the same used in any particular Scotty part it would be only the injection mold that would be different. Hence, issues??!!

I have been using the extension and orca holders for close to 10 years for salmon fishing without issues. I have the older orcas but found them to be flawless if you use one side upside down so that the rod butt pushes into the hinges on both sides. That way they cannot open up accidentally. The extension gets a lot of torsion stress but seems to deal fine with it. I think the flexibility of this setup also precludes any of the above mentioned failures of the holder bases.

The Burnewiin stuff is great. Taco also makes solid stainless rod holders. They are really pricey, but battleship strong

These ones are boom mounted from the factory on the high speed models. Problem is, a lot of guys grab the rod holder and use it to lift the downrigger up after fishing. They're not really designed to do that, lots break, sometimes losing a rod and reel in the process. You're so surprised that your rod holder has broken that you fail to grab your rod and reel as it heads for the deep!

IMG_20150509_111441.jpg

never had any issues with the std dual tubes and still run them ....

These ones are boom mounted from the factory on the high speed models. Problem is, a lot of guys grab the rod holder and use it to lift the downrigger up after fishing. They're not really designed to do that, lots break, sometimes losing a rod and reel in the process. You're so surprised that your rod holder has broken that you fail to grab your rod and reel as it heads for the deep!

I agree it is not good to use them as a handle, however, it is also tempting for some. The first thing I do with these holders is remove them from the rigger and replace them with very expensive, after market, high end, quality, heavy duty all stainless holders. Use them as a handle all day long if you want.

I just don't trust the Scotty holders much anymore that have the plastic post and/or ratchet head, with the exception of the steel pin Striker which is a different design. Those long Scotty stainless tube type still have the all plastic post and ratchet head or just the ratchet head/mount on the rigger version. There extra length may add leverage. I would be willing to pay more for the riggers if they replaced the small plastic bottom section of the tube rigger holder and mount with quality stainless because then I would not have to replace the entire holder and that design would not add much to the weight.

The only downside to upgrading to the after market quality all stainless holders on the riggers, besides cost and perhaps having to do some very minor modification, is that they make the riggers substantially heavier when you are carrying them or swinging them up and down and that would also add to shipping costs for the manufacturer. I don't think the added weight should be an issue for the Scotty rigger mounts, they seem very strong. We have brought up very heavy crab pots on those mounts.

Once removed from the riggers you can still use the Scotty tube holders. We add a regular plastic Scotty post to it and only use it out the back of the boat as an occasional light weight shallow line. Even then, no Islanders are going in it. If we are stacking we use a regular, shorter all plastic Scotty holder, but again, the Islanders only go in the heavy all stainless rigger mounted holders. I like the Strikers, they are great for Halibut but find them, for me at least, a little awkward for salmon. Perhaps I have just not got use to them.

Scotty is not the only one who has had this issue. I have seen plastic holders break from other manufactures. One had a weak spot where there was a bubble in the plastic and the rod and reel went overboard.

Last edited:
Seen it happen. Lucky to not have lost anything.

I find if you position them so the are angled directly back, the torque is in line with where there is the most strength.

The problem i have found is when the rod holder is angled out wards and torque is pulling the rod holder sideways. The base below the “gears” absorbs all the torque across where it is narrow.

Hope this makes sense.
Exactly what happened to me. The sideways torque is just too much. Very nearly lost a brand new TMX5 and Technium rod. Hand bombed it up from 300’. Thank god the release clip held. If you fave the rod holder to the read or at a slight angle I can’t see it ever breaking.

WW

Found the photos

Here is an MR3 and a good rod being dragged back to the boat after the rod holder failed.20140906_174319[1].jpg

With all do respect fellas, so far the pictures that we’ve seen of those brackets look heavily aged and well used. Nothing kills plastic
I don’t care what kind it is like the sun, it ages and wrecks all plastics. Maybe a little preventative maintenance and a swap out now and then would help. You can get brackets for under $30. When something is holding a $300 - $800 set up I think it’s easy math.

I agree and the option for me was try to track down some posts and replace them every couple of years at cost X and hope for the best, or, at least for the high end gear, get high end all stainless bolted boom clamp rod holders and never worry about it again.

Last edited:
Yah right. It doesn't matter of they switch them out. The stainless ones with sleeve will always break there over time. To get technical why do you think it breaks there? And plastic tubes/Orcas don't?

You want flex in the rod end if you make it rigid is increases the moment on that joint. I like Scotties stuff but that was a poor design choice just to make more esthetic to get people to buy them. 45 degree fractures always tells the story in any design.

I only use strikers or the tubes on down riggers. I had two orcas open on me and had new ones.

Nothing wrong with the SS tube just make a stainless pivot to match and call it a day. The problem is you guys want them cheap. The stainless ones woulkd be like 150+, and I am sure Scotty knows that. That is tough sell.

I agree and the option for me was try to track down some posts and replace them every couple of years at cost X and hope for the best or at least for the high end gear, get high end all stainless rod holders and never worry about it again.

Maybe we can blame it on all the UV rays do to climate change and charge the oil companies for it :D :D

Yah right. It doesn't matter of they switch them out. The stainless ones with sleeve will always break there over time. To get technical why do you think it breaks there? And plastic tubes/Orcas don't?

You want flex in the rod end if you make it rigid is increases the moment on that joint. I like Scotties stuff but that was a poor design choice just to make more esthetic to get people to buy them. 45 degree fractures always tells the story in any design.

I only use strikers or the tubes on down riggers. I had two orcas open on me and had new ones.

Nothing wrong with the SS tube just make a stainless pivot to match and call it a day. The problem is you guys want them cheap. The stainless ones woulkd be like 150+, and I am sure Scotty knows that. That is tough sell.

Well I’ve been running Scottie gear for 15 + years and have never had a failure on these. “Not saying it’s the case here” but I see the way people treat their stuff and sometimes I’m surprised **** lasts as long as it does.

Well I’ve been running Scottie gear for 15 + years and have never had a failure on these. “Not saying it’s the case here” but I see the way people treat their stuff and sometimes I’m surprised **** lasts as long as it does.

We are talking about the stainless tube holders though not the ones you are running. That design is fairly new and they shouldn't be breaking that early regardless.

With all do respect fellas, so far the pictures that we’ve seen of those brackets look heavily aged and well used. Nothing kills plastic
I don’t care what kind it is like the sun, it ages and wrecks all plastics. Maybe a little preventative maintenance and a swap out now and then would help. You can get brackets for under $30. When something is holding a $300 - $800 set up I think it’s easy math.
Mine broke in the exact same spot and was only 2 months old and never stored in the sun. I ran my rod holders at right angles to the boat which I have now changed because of this. I don't think that they would ever break if you don't put that sideways torque on them.

WW

Back