Heads up, Scotty rod holder post.

Another thing some people do is grab the rod holder and and use it as a handle as they swing the entire rigger upwards in an attempt to grab their downrigger clip. this action has been directly responsible for shearing off the teeth in the rod holders, and as such scotty won’t warranty the rod holder itself.

Uv breaks down the plastic over time and weakened the base of those holders. Ive snapped 3 in last 5 years, they have finally made newer ones with a much thicker base. Had them installed on all my riggers last week. Fingers crossed

Those Burnewiin are awesome. I was on a boat last week that had them and you can mount Scotty riggers with them also. The rod holders and riggers just snap in and no more screws or bolt to remove.

Scotty Stricker RH have a steel rod moulded within the post. Much stronger!!

The current Strikers have the steel post added, their earlier version of the striker did not, just a hollow tube. We had the early ones and when we raised the issue at the factory service center they gave us a number of the new stainless reinforced posts to replace our early versions free of charge. It is hard to beat Scotty service, especially if you turn up at the factory in person.

Last edited:
Another thing some people do is grab the rod holder and and use it as a handle as they swing the entire rigger upwards in an attempt to grab their downrigger clip. this action has been directly responsible for shearing off the teeth in the rod holders, and as such scotty won’t warranty the rod holder itself.

In my direct experience Scotty really does not offer much of a Warranty on the Rod Holders. It is nothing like the amazing warranty on the Riggers themselves. We had a post break and took it to Scotty and they gave us a new post but they did not replace the holder itself because we did not have it to bring in. The fact that it went overboard and was lost along wit the rod and reel when the post broke was not a factor for them. In fairness that was just one Rep. and another one may well have replaced both.

Last edited:
This is far from a new topic. There have been many threads on it over the years. I tried to track down my old posts on the subject and they are there but the actual pictures seem to be only useless thumbnails now that cannot be expanded, could be related to the changes to the forum software. There are a couple of pictures of an expensive rod and Islander Mr3 reel being dragged on the surface of the water out back of the boat and a picture of a broken post. They were impactful pictures. The line was heavy set in the back of the release clip and we were able to get that rod and reel back, hand over hand. At one point I had a rather good collection of broken Scotty holder posts. I would like it if they would make an all stainless version of the post and ratchet but I doubt that is in the cards as they seem to want to stay close to their roots of being a "plastics company".

On the plus side I know that they have strengthened and upgraded the posts to make them stronger but yet we still have new threads like this so I don't know if they are older designed posts that are breaking or the newer improved ones. I am not highly trusting of the long stainless tube style Scotty Rod Holder as it still has the plastic post/ratchet and since it is longer it seems reasonable that it would put more leverage on the post/ratchet.

I have replaced all the holders on our Scotty Riggers with the all stainless ones below. They are orders of magnitude stronger than the Scotty ones and will never break. I think you would break the rigger off its mount first. Be aware they are pricey but worth it and there are cheaper all stainless ones available, but you get what you pay for. Good insurance if you run high end rods and reels.

https://www.westmarine.com/fishing-rod-holders

Last edited:
This is far from a new topic. There have been many threads on it over the years. I tried to track down my old posts on the subject and they are there but the actual pictures seem to be only useless thumbnails now that cannot be expanded, could be related to the changes to the forum software. There are a couple of pictures of an expensive rod and Islander Mr3 reel being dragged on the surface of the water out back of the boat and a picture of a broken clip. They were impactful pictures. The line was heavy set in the back of the release clip and we were able to get that rod and reel back, hand over hand. At one point I had a rather good collection of broken Scotty holder pins. I would like it if they would make an all stainless version of the pin and ratchet but I doubt that is in the cards as they seem to want to stay close to their roots of being a "plastics company".

On the plus side I know that they have strengthened and upgraded the pins to make them stronger but yet we still have new threads like this so I don't know if they are older designed pins that are breaking or the newer improved ones. I am not highly trusting of the long stainless tube style Scotty Rod Holder as it still has the plastic pin and since it is longer it seems reasonable that it would put more leverage on the pin.

I have replaced all the holders on our Scotty Riggers with the all stainless ones below. They are orders of magnitude stronger than the Scotty ones and will never break. I think you would break the rigger off its mount first. Be aware they are pricey but worth it and there are cheaper all stainless ones available, but you get what you pay for. Good insurance if you run high end rods and reels.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west...able-heavy-duty-rod-holders--P019_570_001_552

That actually looks like a pretty good deal for the sale price of $70...

For my extended boom Scottys I think it is the one and a quarter inch version you need. I am not sure that West Marine carries the ones I have anymore as the ones they have now look a little different. When I get out fishing I will try and remember to take a picture. The ones I have are very strong and have a soft plastic liner to protect the cork and come with a tool to adjust the ratchet angle.

Just had one of the scotty rod holders (the one that clamps to the arm of the rigger) break off while trolling last week. Luckily the release clip held and i got back my MR2 and Sage rod!
Striker for me now....

This has happened to me also, and a few other buddies. I'm still searching for a solution for the way my boat is set up.

We had a Striker fail last week in Winter harbor, all the teeth on the angle adjustment sheared off and we almost lost a rod as it slipped towards the water. Hoping to get some replacement parts

There are teeth on both sides of the Striker and I just replaced with Strikers. Can you post a pic of the fail?
Rod leashes might come into effect sooner than I thought.

Sounds like being old fashion and using sidewinders on gunnel mounts is way to go for ocean, no leaning way out to get rod, no trouble for kids/newbies to get rod and secure. Good old stainless steel, had for 30 years, never an issue, never lost or replaced. Thanks old school scotty. Do have scotty plastic "tube" holders on tinny for trout. I say if you need to use something to make rod safe while in a holder=said holder is NOT worth having. It s FAILED at what you paid for it to do. Reminds me of another zip tie and anchors tread.

HM

I only use strikers as the others one break I also for halibut put clip on tethers to my rods you never know have for over 25 years you do things long enough and get away with it sooner or later it will get you.
As for the tubes personally dont like them ive seen a few rods go over in the years worse is guys reaching way out to lift rod out and it slips out of hand KERPLUNK into water...

As for old strikers or the other "tube" one that has similar base its a VERY simple fix I believe its a 5/16th hole just measure how deep it is cut a bolt off to length and heat it up with a torch and push it into base and the plastic will mold to it.

For you old enough that made our own street hockey stick with the hard plastic "super blade" over a busted hockey shaft you know what im talking about over moms cook stove LOL.

AS for Scotty they are probably one of the best local companies ive ever known they are awesome.
can you imagine how many guys would show up saying ohhh I lost my new 900 dollar reel and my sage rod ....

Good luck Wolf

I’m surprised Scotty hasn’t rectified this issue if it’s a known problem. I’ve been lucky so far and have not had an issue but this is a good heads up.

I only use strikers as the others one break I also for halibut put clip on tethers to my rods you never know have for over 25 years you do things long enough and get away with it sooner or later it will get you.
As for the tubes personally dont like them ive seen a few rods go over in the years worse is guys reaching way out to lift rod out and it slips out of hand KERPLUNK into water...

As for old strikers or the other "tube" one that has similar base its a VERY simple fix I believe its a 5/16th hole just measure how deep it is cut a bolt off to length and heat it up with a torch and push it into base and the plastic will mold to it.

For you old enough that made our own street hockey stick with the hard plastic "super blade" over a busted hockey shaft you know what im talking about over moms cook stove LOL.

AS for Scotty they are probably one of the best local companies ive ever known they are awesome.
can you imagine how many guys would show up saying ohhh I lost my new 900 dollar reel and my sage rod ....

Good luck Wolf

Thinking of maybe doing this, I guy could buy some SS rod, cut it it length drill just an over sized hole and set it in with some epoxy even, easy peasy.

Back