Heads up, Scotty rod holder post.

Mine broke in the exact same spot and was only 2 months old and never stored in the sun. I ran my rod holders at right angles to the boat which I have now changed because of this. I don't think that they would ever break if you don't put that sideways torque on them.

WW

They would break. It's too bad I didn't have some cash and could prove the theory but not breaking it for free. Guarantee the plastic tubes are probably a factor 2 to 3 times as strong. It's like taking pieces a plastic and putting a long rigid moment arm on it, and expecting the plastic to carry that strength.

Nothing wrong with all the other holders besides those pop open ones. Rarely see those ever breaking at base.

Was at trotac yesterday.
Replacement posts for Scotty rod holders $9.99.
Replace them every 5 years and you should be good.

Agreed it is sun and weather that wears them down. So how long they will last depends on the boat. If you are moored or parked outside exposed to the sun and elements they won’t last as long as if you trailer and park under cover.
Limit the exposure to elements, don’t use as a tie down or handle and they will last longer.
For halibut always use a safety.

Was at trotac yesterday.

Agreed it is sun and weather that wears them down. So how long they will last depends on the boat. If you are moored or parked outside exposed to the sun and elements they won’t last as long as if you trailer and park under cover.
Limit the exposure to elements, don’t use as a tie down or handle and they will last longer.

Sort of disagree on this one with this situation. Anyway I will leave you alone the thread alone, and hope eventually it gets redesigned.

With all do respect fellas, so far the pictures that we’ve seen of those brackets look heavily aged and well used. Nothing kills plastic
I don’t care what kind it is like the sun, it ages and wrecks all plastics. Maybe a little preventative maintenance and a swap out now and then would help. You can get brackets for under $30. When something is holding a $300 - $800 set up I think it’s easy math.

Scotty definitely has a material issue and the reason I say that, holder posts on my boat are not used all that much, not used for anchors or Hali fishing or lifting rigger, strictly for holding rods and not stored in the sun. It is a very cheap and easy way preventative maintenance but if you can’t use them or trust them for a couple hundred hours a season there is an issue!! But definitely agree their cheap to replace rather than loosing any gear.. Thats enough to make you drink!

Was at trotac yesterday.

Scotty recommends changing posts out every two years. That’s what they told me anyway. Maybe they should print that on the package or something..

And yes I’m choked as f&$k that I lost a $1300.00 set up because of a inferior rod post!! Leashes from now on..

I would like to shout out to a couple of special individuals at HC for helping me out to get rigged up again. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Scotty recommends changing posts out every two years. That’s what they told me anyway. Maybe they should print that on the package or something..

And yes I’m choked as f&$k that I lost a $1300.00 set up because of a inferior rod post!! Leashes from now on..

I would like to shout out to a couple of special individuals at HC for helping me out to get rigged up again. Thanks!!

No doubt your chocked Chuck anybody would be. I lost a brand new set up about 13 years back. Brand new islander MR2 strapped to a 10’6 Fennwick HMX, worst part of it was it was it my 40th year birthday present from the wife and kids. That one was my own fault though just stupidity, put it in the tube on the downrigger when I was traveling back but didn’t pay attention and I didn’t have the cogs in place and it dumped over on the travel and gone, off the trailer parks at Sooke. But yah, that one hurt big time.

Some guys might remember it was found later that year, buddy drug it up and was bragging about it on here but wouldn’t cough it up,. Fit my description to a tee but he kept it. Karma boys Karma.

Interesting that one can not get a disposable shopping bag anymore but manufacturers seem to be making disposable plastic rod holders.

Maybe we can blame it on all the UV rays do to climate change and charge the oil companies for it :D :D
Then watch DFO somehow use climate change as a rationale for further restrictions, especially after oil companies lobby them to close more fisheries to improve tanker access...

We had a Striker fail last week in Winter harbor, all the teeth on the angle adjustment sheared off and we almost lost a rod as it slipped towards the water. Hoping to get some replacement parts
I set the angle I wanted marked the striker along the teeth and took it apart. I then used epoxy designed for plastic parts, applied it, put the striker together at the angle I marked, tightened it as hand tight as I could and let it set up. no more teeth movement. I set it for the angle I wanted for a rod while anchoring for Halibut. Solid!

After cracking one of the factory 2106 boom mounted holders and reading this thread I have retrofitted to these for my scotty booms. Looks like they will work well but will soon find out on Bamfield trip. Hopefully they will prevent an expensive rod from going for a swim.

A4AB4A37-ED8F-4759-BDA3-D19C54C63877.png

After cracking one of the factory 2106 boom mounted holders and reading this thread I have retrofitted to these for my scotty booms. Looks like they will work well but will soon find out on Bamfield trip. Hopefully they will prevent an expensive rod from going for a swim.

View attachment 46763

Wise investment. Don’t think your going to have an issue with those holders!!

Back