green party ,, your thoughts

• You think the Feds are going to give up control of fisheries......to the Provincial Green Party?? You do realize if the Feds did that the MASSIVE hornets nest they would be opening up right across Canada in many different sectors?
  • Even IF there were good will across governments, agencies, industry, AND voters to make this happen - it is likely unconstitutional. That was the basis for Alex Morton's court case - which she won - that the feds should never have given authority to the province for aquaculture - a "fishery". Even IF you thought the greens were competent enough to handle the hornets nest - as Pippen stated. Makes me wonder how competent the greens are if there never considered this BEFORE they published their platform...

Last edited by a moderator:
I live on Galiano and our MLA is currently Elizabeth May. I really don't follow or pretend to fully understand politics but it does seem like in the last Federal election that votes that went to candidates like Mrs May ended up helping the Cons get their majority. As opposed to voting for our personal agendas favourites would Canada be better off if we had voted for the lesser of two evils? The Cons may have still won but would they have a majority? It seems crazy to me that extreme lefties by wasting their votes on Green actually helped out the extreme righties... maybe someone could explain this to me if Im wrong..thanks.

Cheers,
tumblr_liw6xmz77o1qiyg2io1_400.jpg

Change will come from the people, not the government.

IMHO it is a waste of time to keep voting for the same big, long established, political parties and expecting things to change in any big, positive or progessive way. If you want big changes then vote for a party that is promoting big changes and then hold them accountable!

One thing is for sure, if you vote for more of the same old bullsh!t, that is what you will get!

For those of us that want political change, work to make it happen and vote for political parties that stand for change!

Those who want the status quo will continue to do what they always have done - the same old, same old. Meanwhile we watch our once abundant, prosperous wild fisheries diminish over time like they have in many other parts of the world.

I for one, will work hard to not let this happen by working for and with others that want to change things for the better - I hope many more feel the same way for the sake of our wild salmon!

Whole in the Water.....I absolutely respect your opinion and stance. The one thing I would caution is voting based on one change such as fisheries could bring a cavalcade of changes that may not be quite so pretty when that pie that was in the sky....comes crashing down to reality. ;)

GDW......I agree that fish policy sounds outstanding!! But there is the pragmatic side of me that knows darn well that the policy/ideas outlined in that original link are 100% UNDOABLE. Sounds great and all but what good is holding the 'hypothetically' elected Green Party to a fishing mandate that any realist knows is completely unattainable. I'd challenge you to print out that exact page and ask a Green Party member TRULY how realistic it is?

• You think the Feds are going to give up control of fisheries......to the Provincial Green Party?? You do realize if the Feds did that the MASSIVE hornets nest they would be opening up right across Canada in many different sectors?
  • Ask what "eco-system based principles" are that will apparently "established for a fishery based on maintaining all stocks at stable levels in intact habitat"??
  • Note that they are only mentioning removing the salmon feedlots from migration routes; that does not imply getting rid of them altogether.
  • I do wonder how recently this "Fisheries Statement of Intent" is as their "fast facts" are quite dated?

I have no problem calling what they are proposing as "pie in the sky" as even IF they ever did get into power provincially what they are proposing is only partially doable at best.

Fishery issues is something we all feel very strong about but I for one also feel VERY strongly about where my vote goes based on the good of the economy in this Province. If our economy tanks.....it's more than our fisheries that are going to be our problem. Just looking at the Sportishing Industry they have been hit hard enough with the strength of the Canadian dollar.....add to that a LOCAL economy that is in shambles and there goes even more of the business. I don't know about you.....having a job, providing for my family and putting a roof over their head comes before fishing; if cuts have to be made it's going to be in people's recreational/leisure activities.

Unfortunately for those of us who love to fish, are passionate about the resource and industry......Fisheries are well down the list of priorities/election issues in this province; like it or not.

Top notch pippen,, very well stated. I was nt sure if the OP was even serious when first posting,, I truly thought it was a joke. How can one even be considered to have any clue as to what it takes to run a country and think these people are being able to do it.. Come on people,, your more intelligent than this.. Don't think with emotion use common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Provincially and Federally these are the worst governments we have ever had! I am still undecided...

HIGH FIVE!!

LOL

It's just goddamned awful. I gotta go with the dips this year just to send the corrupt libs packin. I'm hating myself already.

It's like being hammered in grade 12, end of the party, two super ugly chicks and you pick the one you think might look better in the morning...

And you never know if you were right or wrong... LOL

It's like being hammered in grade 12, end of the party, two super ugly chicks and you pick the one you think might look better in the morning...

And you never know if you were right or wrong... LOL

LOL...problem here, though...is if you pick the ugly girl named NDP, once you get her home you may find she's got a dick...

Whole in the Water.....I absolutely respect your opinion and stance. The one thing I would caution is voting based on one change such as fisheries could bring a cavalcade of changes that may not be quite so pretty when that pie that was in the sky....comes crashing down to reality. ;)

To each his own... that's why I cherish democracy and the freedoms we still have in this country.

I just hope that enough people who care about our declining fisheries will do more than just simply vote for the same old, status quo politial parties and work within them to change their policies before it is too late.

Fisheries mismanegement started well before The conservatives came in. Most people enjoy having a job. You wouldnt see many guys out on the water if we had 23% unemployment rate.

I would have to agree that at the provincial it's pretty hard. Its like having two red headed step children.

All the more reason to work (and IMHO vote) for change! If we have a long history of mis-management why let it continue?

I understand that we need to balance between the economy and the environment, that is not my point.

I am trying to help to see and think about things a little differently and encourage us all that we don't have to settle for the status quo - let's work for change about the things we care about!

With this perspective it dosesn't really matter how we vote as long as we work hard to pressure govt's to undo all the years of mis-management. This is my point

You know big thing I would hate to see is most people going NDP and current goverment suck and then don't bother. Its already low with voter turnout... It amazes how people don't ever vote, and then ***** about the government...

this is what i am trying to avoid and do not want to do.the not vote part.. so lotta protest vote with some optimism of forward change and my vote will be green.

I am usually rather un-political so this is tough for me to get further involved in. I will make one statement and then I am out.

I am not impressed by the Liberals arrogance but I fear the NDP's hidden agenda far worse than a little arrogance. There are really only two choices, hold your nose, vote Liberal and maintain an economy that has flourished for the past 12 years, or hold your nose and vote NDP and watch the taxes increase (already acknowledged by the NDP) and watch the economy go in the toilet, unless you're a teacher, hospital worker, or trade union leader.

Green = No to Gateway
NDP = No to Gateway
Liberal = Yes to Gateway as long as the price is right.

Sorry folks I'm not on board for Gateway no matter how much money they give me.
Will be voting NDP just so the other bums are out on their ear.....
Time for a change.....
GLG

Agreed!! I feel the NDP will bankrupt us if they get in
I am usually rather un-political so this is tough for me to get further involved in. I will make one statement and then I am out.

I am not impressed by the Liberals arrogance but I fear the NDP's hidden agenda far worse than a little arrogance. There are really only two choices, hold your nose, vote Liberal and maintain an economy that has flourished for the past 12 years, or hold your nose and vote NDP and watch the taxes increase (already acknowledged by the NDP) and watch the economy go in the toilet, unless you're a teacher, hospital worker, or trade union leader.

Anyone saying they're gonna vote NDP because of Liberal corruption has a damn short memory, the leader is as crooked as they come. The vote will be easy for me, we need jobs and the libs have done well on that front.

Back