F150 Towing Capacity

GnB
My truck was built to tow and is rated for 11800lbs with the max tow package. I am within 10% of max capacity where most should draw the limit anyway,
the manufacturer will always weigh on the side of caution as far as GVWR and GCWR.
So tell me why I wouldn't think I'm doing it ok.

Nootkafisher sorry for the derail
But honestly my original post was to merely show you what the 232 looked like behind a pickup and the size of it,
It is the largest 23'er on the water with the 9-1/2' beam as well,
Loaded you will come in around 10,000 lbs and at a glance it looks as tho the 2wd truck with 2.7 ecoboost has the highest tow capacity with about 3800kgs
So you'd be over weight anyway also forgot to mention you need electric brakes or EOH brakes on the trailer due to the weight, and will need oversize permits from DOT as well when you do tow the 232

Last edited:
I have an '06 GMC 1 ton with a Duramax/Allison combo. Had a turbo brake added to the "tune". I'm either pulling a 13,000 lb 5th wheel or my 2101 Striper. I never slow down going up hills and rarely use my brakes going down. I have 115,000 kms on the odometer and about 50% pad remaining on the original brakes. Overkill??? I think not.

I have an '06 GMC 1 ton with a Duramax/Allison combo. Had a turbo brake added to the "tune". I'm either pulling a 13,000 lb 5th wheel or my 2101 Striper. I never slow down going up hills and rarely use my brakes going down. I have 115,000 kms on the odometer and about 50% pad remaining on the original brakes. Overkill??? I think not.

From the specs i have seen on that 06 you look to be running near max with that 13000lbs trailer so no not overkill. From what people have been mentioning for the weight of th 232 Grady it's in line and not overkill for the op.

I have a 1985, 24' searay. Not sure of the weight i pull it with a 2015 dodge powerwagon 3/4 ton, 6.4 hemi towing capacity of 16,000. I also have my welding skid in the rruck that weighs around 1400lbs. No issuses towing or stopping and tbe trailer has surge brakes. Truck is loaded out with alot of good options and some that even the diesels don't have, locking front and rear diffs, torsion bar disconect, 12,000lb winch all from the factory. Price was around the same as a 1/2ton, 62,000$. I only get 4 mpg less than the deisel i traded in and don't have the high mantanance costs. We tried to tow the boat once with my kids 1/2 ton chev and the trailer sunk the rearend of tbe truck so liw that the hitch was just about dragging in the driveway.

Just a reminder to all you guys about trailers and surge brakes.

MARCH 2 0 0 0 -
FACT SHEET
Check your owner’s manual to find your vehicle’s towing
capability. If you tow a load that is too heavy for your vehicle,
you create a potential safety risk for yourself and others on the
road. Motor Vehicle Act Regulations in British Columbia prohibit the
operation of vehicles that are unsafe or improperly loaded and
exceed either the Gross Axle Rating (GAWR) or the Gross Vehicle
Weight Rating (GVWR). The Province is focusing on vehicles that
are obviously overweight and pose a risk to the safety of other
motorists. These regulations apply to vehicles manufactured after
January 1, 2001 that have a GVWR of 5500 kg or less.
Brake requirements
• All trailers & towing dollies (car dollies) must have
brakes on all wheels when their GVW (trailer/dolly
and load) exceeds 1,400 kilograms (3,086 pounds).
Every trailer with brakes must have a breakaway
device hooked to the trailer brake system.
- Surge brakes may be used when towing a
vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of
up to and including 2,800 kilograms
(6,173 pounds).
- From 2,800 kilograms and up the towed-vehicle
brakes must be able to be applied by the driver
of the tow vehicle.
• Motorhomes (only) may tow motor vehicles via a tow
bar without brakes hooked up on the towed motor
vehicle, when the towed motor vehicle’s laden weight
(weight of towed vehicle and its load) is:
- less than 2,000 kilograms (4,409 pounds), and
- less than 40 per cent of the gross vehicle weight
rating (GVWR) of the motorhome towing it
• Motor vehicles with a laden weight of 2,000
kilograms and over towed by a motorhome must
have brakes and breakaway device hooked up.
Preparing to tow
• The vehicle-on-tow must have valid licensing and
insurance.
• Only one (1) trailer may be towed at a time (a car
dolly with car are regarded as one trailer).
• All vehicles being towed via a ball hitch must have
safety chain(s) or cable(s).
• A recreational vehicle towed via a 5th wheel
hook-up does not require safety chains or
cables.
• All vehicles being towed must have lights
connected to the tow vehicle.
Maximum widths for Recreational
Vehicles
• Maximum total overall width for recreational
vehicles is 2.6 metres (8 feet 6 inches).
• Mirrors (only) may exceed the width of the
vehicle by 20 centimetres (8 inches) on each
side.
Maximum lengths for Recreational
Vehicles
• Maximum total length for a motorhome is 14.0
metres (45.93 feet).
• Maximum length for a towed recreational
vehicle is 12.5 metres (41 feet).
• Maximum overall length for a combination is
20.0 metres (65.6 feet).
More information
For more information on this and other matters
related to recreational vehicles, visit our website
at www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse or contact your nearest
weighscale/inspection station.
MV3230 (052007)
Information on this fact sheet is subject to change without notice.
In the event of conflict with this fact sheet and the Motor Vehicle
Act & Regulations, the acts and regulations shall apply.
Fact
Sheet
VEHICLE VEHICLE VEHICLE VEHICLE TTTTOOOOWING INWING INWING IN
BRITISH COLBRITISH COLBRITISH COLBRITISH COLUMBIAUMBIAUMBIA
TIONALAL
VEHICLE TOWING INWING IN
BRITISH COLUMBIAUMBIA

If you are set on a gulf stream i think you would beat up the truck pretty fast hauling one . I have a grady seafarer and really like it. It's smaller than the gulf stream but still a very capable boat. Maybe take a look at one and it may suit your needs and you could keep the truck. Mine holds 92 gallons but some also come with a 50 gallon aux tank. I have had 120 mile days at 30 mph and trolled for 8 hours and burned about 60 gallons of fuel. Single engine 225 Etec.

Just an FYI... I pull a 9200lb Jayco trailer with my 2013 F150 with the ECO 3.5 litre and every time I hook up the trailer I can't be leave how good it pulls. I pulled my trailer down to southern Oregon last summer and there were a few good hills. Leaned into the pedal a bit and dropped to 3rd gear at 3800rpm pulling 100K up the hills with no effort. (355 gears) I average 20.5 litres/100km on fuel for the trip. If you are on the turbo's hard you will burn fuel. I grew up a Chevy guy from the farm in the prairies but now a days you buy what is the best product and Ford is running away with it. Chevy are making a ****** product over the last 2 years. Do your research at consumer reports but look a the reliability side.

Cheers, Rob

Hey nootkafisher
We towed my 2302 trophy 5000lbs roughly from maple ridge to nootka on a new F150xlt. I does it no problem. Little sketchy going down that 18% grade on the dirt road. Only because I got on the brakes real late ( nighttime). The truck was 2.7 or the next one up. Rated at 11000 lbs. I wouldn't tow everyday with it. But weekend hauls to the ramp through the summer probably good. The f250 or 350 always a better option tho.

I dont know guys for F150 pulling Grady White. Its too small engine and chassis. It may do it but not safely. Its exceeding the limit big time.

I have a 2013 F 150 with the 5 ltr towing capacity of 9600 lbs. Towed 7000 lb trailer through Yukon and Alaska last summer (7,500 km) no problems. New trucks have a tow-haul mode and will shift down gears and us engine as brake just like a Jake in diesels . 65,000 kms on truck 17,000 kms total towing camping trailer + 5,000 lbs boat to date. Never went with Eco- Boost model because of plan to towing so much , But the 5 ltr has 360 hp and the Eco-Boost has 365 hp just not as much Torque, Brakes are great 4 wheel discs all the way around and stay much cooler. Never considered Diesel as and option, bigger initial investment plus extra maintenance cost, versus savings only when towing , no thanks Gaser all day long .:)

Old trucks have towing mode too. The point is on original post an F15o is too small to be towing a large over 22-24 foot Grady white or Hourston etc. It's just way to hard on transmission and they are not built for it. Look around next time you dont see that many F150's towing those size boats. F250 yes. F150 no. A lot F350 with diesels. Just me opinion. Hey see lots of cars towing boats too.

My point is old truck Was a 1994 F250 with a 460 , New truck pulls and stops better than the old one . I have pulled buddies 228 grady to winter harbour, again no problems, and would do it again if needed.

I have a 19' Arima that I tow with a 2005 F150. Im believe the boat is around 3,700lbs loaded - within the trucks towing capacity however, its working pretty hard going up big hills and EATS through the gas. Towing short trips on relatively flat ground is fine but on my last trip to Renfrew (lots of steep hills) I sure wished I had a diesel. IMO you will slowly wreck a F150 towing a Grady any significant distance.

I have an old Grady 232 and recently went to them to get weight with hard top, fuel, and motors - no gear on board.
FYI

Thanks for writing, Joe

Here’s the 1991 brochure pages that shows the dry weight of the 232 Gulfstream at 4,025 LBS + 610 LBS F-250 engine + 105 LBS for the 9.9 Yamaha + Fuel (93 gallon main and 55 gallon aux = total of 148 gallon which totals approximately 1,036 LBS. This is the base boat and you will have to add 200 LBS if you have the Hardtop option installed. Please let us know if we can further assist you.

Kind Regards,

Carolyn Ray

Customer Relations

Grady White Boats

I had a Nissan Titan and towed a 27' lifetimer for a while. Anything over 100k and it would start to sway so I'd keep it under a 100. It had the power to pull uphill and braking downhill was no problem, I think the sway was due to the light weight of he truck. I upgraded to a GMC 2500 with the duramax and there's no looking back, it tows like a dream.

As a Service Manager at a Ford Dealership I feel like I have a bit of unique perspective. First of all, stay away from a Diesel. Dont get me wrong, if you have unlimited cash then by all means, get your self and diesel and enjoy the power and ride while pulling! If you've never pulled a trailer with the 6.7 then you dont know what you are missing. It will pull all day and you wont feel a thing! I just see the invoices that come across my desk and the cost of owning a diesel and maintaining it properly is insane. I pull a boat and heavy travel trailer all summer and dont think twice about it with my F150.
With the 2.7L, your fuel economy will take a dive but as long as you stay below your GVW you will be fine towing. These trucks are DESIGNED to tow that much. Both of the eco-boost engines have a lot of pep and power but your fuel economy really suffers when towing. If you are considering upgrading the truck as well then go with the new 5L. It's the best engine Ford has come out with in a long time and we rarely see many problems with them.

As a Service Manager at a Ford Dealership I feel like I have a bit of unique perspective. First of all, stay away from a Diesel. Dont get me wrong, if you have unlimited cash then by all means, get your self and diesel and enjoy the power and ride while pulling! If you've never pulled a trailer with the 6.7 then you dont know what you are missing. It will pull all day and you wont feel a thing! I just see the invoices that come across my desk and the cost of owning a diesel and maintaining it properly is insane. I pull a boat and heavy travel trailer all summer and dont think twice about it with my F150.
With the 2.7L, your fuel economy will take a dive but as long as you stay below your GVW you will be fine towing. These trucks are DESIGNED to tow that much. Both of the eco-boost engines have a lot of pep and power but your fuel economy really suffers when towing. If you are considering upgrading the truck as well then go with the new 5L. It's the best engine Ford has come out with in a long time and we rarely see many problems with them.

That is a pretty honest testimony for Ford diesels. My Duramax pulls my 13,000 boat like a train and has never darkened the door of a dealership except for oil changes. the Toyota diesel in my boat also runs flawlessly,real motors built to do real work.

Just an observation.

Every diesel guy I know complains nonstop about their truck and dealer support costs. DEF this, EGR that, horrible fuel milage on Regen, semi annual front end rebuilds. They will however stop to tell you that you are an idiot for not buying the same brand as they did.

I love my diesel its a 2013 powerstroke and i pull anything i want with it up or down anyhill no problem would never go back to a gas for towing ever again .. That said my buddy has a 2014 dodge ram dually chipped exhaust tuned everything done to this thing its a beast and he tows quite regular with it from kelowna to calgary his truck was in shop and had 3.5 ecoboost for a week while and towed back and forth a few times with it he absolutely loved the truck and how it towed said he thought it towed nicer than his dodge .

Back