adjusting rental trailer for 28' boat

jcon12

Hi all,

This year we are thinking about taking our grady white gulfstream to Nootka instead of our smaller Arima.

We don't have a trailer for the boat so I am just finalizing a rental, however am looking for any feedback on the adjustment process considering this trailer will not be setup for our particular boat. I understand I will need to purchase an oversized ticket/endorsement to tow.

It is a tri axle trailer with capacity up to 13k lbs (the gulfstream is approx 28' LOA and 7500 pounds without our gear). I will be picking it up 2 days before we leave with the intentions of having some extra time to set it up to our particular boat. It is a TUFF trailer with EOH and model number MTT13000SGL.

I have a proper 3/4 ton truck and am used to towing, however I've never had to go through the process of fitting a boat of this size to the trailer to get the proper tongue weight.

Just looking for any tips or feedback from someone who has used a rental trailer or might have the same boat and can pass along some measurements.

Thank you

I don’t know if you’ve got bunks or rollers but bunks are easier to manage. Here’s a few pix of my Roadrunner trailer I took last week. It’s set up for my Grady 228G. 23 feet probably 26loa. I’m guessing the Gulfstream hull has similar lines.

IMG_0500.jpegIMG_0499.jpegIMG_0498.jpegIMG_0497.jpegIMG_0496.jpeg

You’ve launched at Gold River before so you know how steep that ramp is. One challenge I always have is making sure my anchor pulpit doesn’t hit the winch upright as you launch. When the boat starts floating it can be a bit tricky. Depends on the position of your winch upright but just keep that in mind. I had to raise up the front of my bunks to help with that challenge.

And, the first couple of times I launched there the bow got real close to the ‘front axle/cross member’ as well as it was sliding into the water. I had to add an extra rubber roller onto that axle to minimize the risk of it hitting. Edited June 29

Last edited:
I haven't used a rental trailer but I set a new aluminum I-beam trailer up for my similar sized boat last summer. With the outboard on a pod/bracket I had to move the boat ahead somewhat to get the right balance. In my case the center of gravity of my boat (the point where half its weight is aft and half is forward) is about 2' ahead of the center of the two axles.
You can determine the CoG of your boat by drawing a diagram with the dry weight of the boat somewhat evenly distributed along its length then add batteries, outboards, full fuel tank and gear at actual positions along this length.
Measuring the distance from the center of the three axles to the CoG and to the hitch gives you all the variables you need to calculate hitch and axle weight of your set-up. I think a good starting point for you would be to have your boat's CoG about 2' forward of the center axle.
Good luck

appreciate all the quick replies guys - its such a great group on here. I will come back with any other questions, but lots to digest!

And if you’re in Vancouver I’ve got a tongue weight scale you’re welcome to borrow.
I have one as well if you're on the island.
My general guidelines are meant to narrow down your starting position and confirming your weight distribution is a critical part of the process.

Hi all,

This year we are thinking about taking our grady white gulfstream to Nootka instead of our smaller Arima.

We don't have a trailer for the boat so I am just finalizing a rental, however am looking for any feedback on the adjustment process considering this trailer will not be setup for our particular boat. I understand I will need to purchase an oversized ticket/endorsement to tow.

It is a tri axle trailer with capacity up to 13k lbs (the gulfstream is approx 28' LOA and 7500 pounds without our gear). I will be picking it up 2 days before we leave with the intentions of having some extra time to set it up to our particular boat. It is a TUFF trailer with EOH and model number MTT13000SGL.

I have a proper 3/4 ton truck and am used to towing, however I've never had to go through the process of fitting a boat of this size to the trailer to get the proper tongue weight.

Just looking for any tips or feedback from someone who has used a rental trailer or might have the same boat and can pass along some measurements.

Thank you
Just wondering where you rented the trailer from?

Thanks

Stringer locations for Grady's if it's helpful. Ask owners if care about adjusting.

Attachments

• 2010 LCG Bunk and Buttocks (1).pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 22
Just wondering where you rented the trailer from?

Thanks
I second this question. I would have loved to rent a trailer for my annual bamfield trip. Towing from pomo to port alberni is getting expensive.. Before everyone suggests boating to french creek and towing from there, it's not a risk i can take if the weather blows up. Rigid dates..

Last edited:
hey sorry for the delay guys - it is someone on FB marketplace who rents out a fleet. Decent rates.

Back