Half Ton pickup towing a Trophy 2352 wa ? Thoughts?

hbpaints

Crew Member
Hey guys, I have a question that I’m sure has been covered, but I tried searching the site and didn’t reall nail down an answer…

Will a 2005-2010 F-150 crew or super crew, handle towing my “new to me” 2006 Trophy Pro 2352 Hard top walk around?

Would be towing from South Island (Duncan area) to Port Renfrew, Crofton, Victoria, Campbell River and occasionally a bit further…

I currently have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually with the 5.9 Cummins that we used on the farm up north, but it’s way to much truck to sit in the driveway for the dozen times a year I drive it… So I am thinking of selling/trading it off on a half ton Ford or Chev…

looking to downsize, but don’t want to make it unsafe… Need minimum of 5 passenger, but would be nice to seat 7(impossible in a truck, I know) …so regardless, we take 2 vehicles as we’re a family of 7…

Pretty sure the Trophy is around 5000lbs dry, so add fuel and gear, would it be safe to say it will weigh in at around 8000-8500 pounds?
Boat sits atop a Kara van tandem axel galvanized trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes.

thanks for any thoughts or recommendactions.

The short answer is it depends. F150’s are rated all over the place for towing. Every model, years, engine and rear end gearing makes a difference. This link may help,

you may be ok if you buy the right model. Remember that longer wheelbase always means better control in particular at higher speeds. And, I’d get a weight distributing hitch. It helps spread the load. I drag 7200 Lbs. my capacity is 9200 lbs and I feel comfortable but not like it’s overkill with that extra capacity available.

Newer 1/2 tons are quite capable almost have as much towing capacity as some older 3/4ton diesels. If you can I’d go a little newer especially if you want an f150. 2018+ f150 with the 3.5L twin turbo v6 good on gas with huge towing capacity, Toyota tundras are an other good option lots of forum members tow 23-26’ers with them. Really any newer half ton will do what you want you don’t need a huge diesel I came from a ram 2500 5.9L Cummins down to a 2017 f150(mine seats 6 people as well). Just make sure you have good trailer brakes and are within the trucks limits you’ll have no issues.

Last edited:
I would pass on the Ford. The 5.4 litre engine from 2005-2009 is a problem waiting to happen. Google it and you will see why. I had a 2005 F150 4x4 extended cab with full size box that lasted one season pulling a 3900lb boat around. Your pretty close to the load limit of an f150 if your pulling a large boat/trailer and associated gear.
I’d pass and keep the heavy truck for pulling anything heavier than a tin boat or utility trailer.

I have a 2014 ecoboost rated to tow 11,300lbs. I would not want to haul that load with it. I think the max to tow safely is really around half the "maximum" rating. Especially when you start adding in all the gear.

I tow a Campion 682 with a 2020 Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7 V8. I downsized from a Silverado 3500 6.6 Duramax so I can tell the difference. It came factory with the sway control and brake controller but I added rear air bags for extra support. I believe the loaded boat and trailer are 7200 - 7500 lbs so even though it’s under published max it’s getting up there for safe towing. I’ll be in the right lane leaving a gap between me and the car in front with this set-up.

I wouldn’t do it. I have a SeaSport 22 (close to your weight) and towed it short distances with a 2005 f150 with the 5.4. It was rated for 7800lbs but the boat and gear added up really fast and it was often struggling going up and down hills. I would not have been able to tow my loaded boat from victoria to renfrew. Not a chance on some of the really steep hills on the way to renfrew. Sold it and have a 2011 Ram 6.7 diesel and feel much more comfortable towing my boat, gear and family. Please note, the 2010 f150 probably has the 5.0 which is a better engine than the 5.4 but you’re still pushing your limits

I towed my 2008 2502 Trophy Pro (twin 150's) with my half ton no problems. My truck was a 2018 F150 with the coyote 5 litre/10 speed/trailer package, however I am towing now with an F350. There definitely is a difference but the F150 was more than capable and within the numbers for the truck. The reason I went to an F350 was because I have a camper to haul as well as the boat. Just like some of your responses say... check your #'s; your GCVWR (inside the driver's door on the tire sticker I believe) will reveal your limitations. Also check your payload capacity as well for the effect your (10-15%) tongue weight will have on the rear axle. If you want to check the weight #'s just find a commercial truck scale (if there is one around you) and run your axles over same. Best of luck :)

Towed a 23’ striper WA up and down the Coquihalla with a 2019 F-150 Ecoboost that came with a factory towing package. 6,300lbs on the scale tandem trailer with disc brakes, two adults in the truck, gear and gas tank half full.

If I remember correctly, towing capacity for that particular trim was 8,800lbs. We never felt unsafe or underpowered.

Having said that, I wouldn’t trade the dually for a newer model F-150 if it’s just a couple of trips/year. The numbers just don’t make a lot of sense and your pocket will be thankful to you.

Tow my seafarer (was 6400 on the trailer, half fuel) with my 2013 EcoBoost. It's fine with electro-hydaulic brakes. My travel trailer is slightly heavier at 7000. Boat tows much nice compared to towing the brick of a travel trailer.

Truck is rated to 11300, I've towed 10000 short distances. That works, but wouldn't go far with 10k.

Under 7k is perfect for the truck for regular, BC mountain/gravel towing. Scale the boat full of fuel with the dodge. Make your decision based on that. If you do end with a half ton. Don't bother with the stupid 5.5 box.

You and the f150 will not like it. Stick with the 5.9 imo. Once you’ve town with a diesel a gas pot just don’t cut it, regardless of the displacement and suspension.

Newer 1/2 tons are quite capable almost have as much towing capacity as some older 3/4ton diesels. If you can I’d go a little newer especially if you want an f150. 2018+ f150 with the 3.5L twin turbo v6 good on gas with huge towing capacity, Toyota tundras are an other good option lots of forum members tow 23-26’ers with them. Really any newer half ton will do what you want you don’t need a huge diesel I came from a ram 2500 5.9L Cummins down to a 2017 f150(mine seats 6 people as well). Just make sure you have good trailer brakes and are within the trucks limits you’ll have no issues.
One of my sons just purchased a new 2021 F-150 with the 3.5 twin turbo. He just left here this morning with our 24’ bumper pull travel trailer. It’s not a heavy unit, no pull outs just a travel trailer. I told him to take an extra jerry can just in case. He said oh no Dad it will be fine. Went on the big speal about the specs of the truck and it’s supposed towing capacity. I explained to him that yes it can pull it, but in order for an engine that small to achieve the type of power they claim and that is needed to pull a load those small holes have to be pumped full of fuel and pumped full of fuel fast. Concept didn’t sync in as I see it doesn’t sync in with many. They just arrived in Jasper an hour ago. All he said was holy crap did it suck fuel, he could not believe it. He said darn glad we aren’t heading into the mountains because he’s not sure he could make it from gas station to gas station.

Theres nothing magic being created in those engines they are just engines, if you understand how an engine works this should not be a mystery. Again,, in order for an engine as small as these to obtain the type of power they claim they have to be pumped full of fuel and fast. Which means, pedal forced through the floor boards and the valves floating from the rpm.

I don’t care what some salesman or pamphlet says, it’s common senses.

THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.

Here end of the conversation.

One of my sons just purchased a new 2021 F-150 with the 3.5 twin turbo. He just left here this morning with our 24’ bumper pull travel trailer. It’s not a heavy unit, no pull outs just a travel trailer. I told him to take an extra jerry can just in case. He said oh no Dad it will be fine. Went on the big speal about the specs of the truck and it’s supposed towing capacity. I explained to him that yes it can pull it, but in order for an engine that small to achieve the type of power they claim and that is needed to pull a load those small holes have to be pumped full of fuel and pumped full of fuel fast. Concept didn’t sync in as I see it doesn’t sync in with many. They just arrived in Jasper an hour ago. All he said was holy crap did it suck fuel, he could not believe it. He said darn glad we aren’t heading into the mountains because he’s not sure he could make it from gas station to gas station.

Theres nothing magic being created in those engines they are just engines, if you understand how an engine works this should not be a mystery. Again,, in order for an engine as small as these to obtain the type of power they claim they have to be pumped full of fuel and fast. Which means, pedal forced through the floor boards and the valves floating from the rpm.

I agree. They are incredibly efficient putting around empty or at idle, but put a load on it and it'll drink like me when the inlaws come over.

Yeah but don’t expect everyone to have your insight into how engines work.
Unfortunately, most brains get easily washed by targeted advertisements. Those new small engines, transmissions and the computerized shifting and driving modes do certainly work magics. They’re incredibly efficient in how they produce power but then displacement is something that a computer can’t easily generate out of a gas engine. You gotta feed that baby for every drop of torque.

You guys are missing the point in forced induction. They make way better power for for towing.

Have a look at the torque curve for the ecoboost vs the 5.0 or 6.2. EcoBoost boost makes peak torque at 2700 rpm, not over 5000 like the V8s.

I'd take the extra fuel burn for towing power any day. Obviously the 5.9 Cummins will out tow an EcoBoost. We can all agree on that.

How often you tow will dictate if the EcoBoost is appropriate or not.

You guys are missing the point in forced induction. They make way better power for for towing.

Have a look at the torque curve for the ecoboost vs the 5.0 or 6.2. EcoBoost boost makes peak torque at 2700 rpm, not over 5000 like the V8s.

I'd take the extra fuel burn for towing power any day. Obviously the 5.9 Cummins will out tow an EcoBoost. We can all agree on that.

How often you tow will dictate if the EcoBoost is appropriate or not.
Nailed it!!

you guys are missing the point of towing safely, it is not only the power to pull the load, but to safely stop and handle the loads ,tire ratings come into play (do you have e range tires on your half ton) can you stop the load if the brakes fail on the trailer. personally i would feel safer with a 3/4 ton one ton p/u

Back