Half Ton pickup towing a Trophy 2352 wa ? Thoughts?

you guys are missing the point of towing safely, it is not only the power to pull the load, but to safely stop and handle the loads ,tire ratings come into play (do you have e range tires on your half ton) can you stop the load if the brakes fail on the trailer. personally i would feel safer with a 3/4 ton one ton p/u

I agree. I think the marketing has really pushed this idea, especially the marketing of the 1/2 ton trucks with the huge towing ratings.

It's pretty tough to actually legally tow near the rated weight for lots of 1/2 tons since the payload hasn't ballooned up the same way the tow ratings have....you have to be really careful to watch the passenger/fuel/cargo weight PLUS the tongue weight to not be overloaded. Adding airbags might make the ride more stable or reduce the squat, but it doesn't change the legal capacity.

I’ve been in your place a couple of times. Obviously you need a reasonable amount of power to pull your rig. But ability to control sway and stopping is key to a safe tow vehicle. Several factors influence this; wheel base to trailer length ratio, tires, tire pressure, balancing your rig and tongue weight and good trailer brakes. Your trailer length should not be any more than 2.5 of the tow vehicles wheelbase. Measured ball to last axle Center. Check your truck/trailer tires for specs. I put 60 lbs in each tire before towing. I also minimize fluid weights while towing, get gas in boat below 1/4 tank, no water on board, check bilge. I’ve always targeted to be 20% below my tow capacity. It took me buying 3 SUV’s before I got the right one I’m now confident with. I think your motor working hard up hills a few times a year isn’t an issue if your motor is smaller. These new motors take an occasional beating. Just make sure it’ll stop your rig. Go onto the HullTruth and check their tow rig thread. There’s lots on 150’s there.

Last edited:
I agree. I think the marketing has really pushed this idea, especially the marketing of the 1/2 ton trucks with the huge towing ratings.

It's pretty tough to actually legally tow near the rated weight for lots of 1/2 tons since the payload hasn't ballooned up the same way the tow ratings have....you have to be really careful to watch the passenger/fuel/cargo weight PLUS the tongue weight to not be overloaded. Adding airbags might make the ride more stable or reduce the squat, but it doesn't change the legal capacity.
I drive a commercial truck sometimes and the amount of people pulling overweight loads with under sized and low powered vehicles is frankly terrifying. It’s a wonder there’s not a lot more serious accidents.

The guys here are right - F150's are sold on hype to lawyers and accountants that want a "truck". I tow with a Silverado 3500 Duramax that was built to tow: Heavier frame, driveline, axles, brakes, tow-haul mode, transmission cooler and the list goes on. Up hill, down hill, starting up or slowing down, it does the job it was designed for much better. If you already have a real truck why trade it for a 150?

One of my sons just purchased a new 2021 F-150 with the 3.5 twin turbo. He just left here this morning with our 24’ bumper pull travel trailer. It’s not a heavy unit, no pull outs just a travel trailer. I told him to take an extra jerry can just in case. He said oh no Dad it will be fine. Went on the big speal about the specs of the truck and it’s supposed towing capacity. I explained to him that yes it can pull it, but in order for an engine that small to achieve the type of power they claim and that is needed to pull a load those small holes have to be pumped full of fuel and pumped full of fuel fast. Concept didn’t sync in as I see it doesn’t sync in with many. They just arrived in Jasper an hour ago. All he said was holy crap did it suck fuel, he could not believe it. He said darn glad we aren’t heading into the mountains because he’s not sure he could make it from gas station to gas station.

Theres nothing magic being created in those engines they are just engines, if you understand how an engine works this should not be a mystery. Again,, in order for an engine as small as these to obtain the type of power they claim they have to be pumped full of fuel and fast. Which means, pedal forced through the floor boards and the valves floating from the rpm.

I don’t care what some salesman or pamphlet says, it’s common senses.

THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.

Here end of the conversation.
Fair enough, I see where you’re coming from. I’m not partial to Ford, ram, Chevy ect definitely no sales man, coming from a 24valve 5.9L ram 2500 with a nv5600 6speed manual. not trying to argue or praise one or an other in the case of pulling heavy/large trailers most vehicles aren’t going to get great mileage to begin with and the shape of a travel trailer isn’t super aerodynamic either. Being able to achieve 25mpg unloaded when you aren’t towing is a huge plus in my books, Atleast in my situation I’m not towing my boat/camper everyday. So the fuel savings when unloaded are huge on my 45minute commute to work. Towed my 20’ enclosed car trailer from Saskatchewan to Victoria 6200lbs on the scale with my 3.5L eco boost I didn’t once feel I was working the truck excessively and no issues stopping mind you
I have upgraded from the factory brakes on the truck and good brakes on the trailer help, yes would be pretty sporty if the brakes where to fail on the trailer but even with a 3/4 it’s less than ideal..fuel economy while it wasn’t amazing it wasn’t terrible either at 10-12mpg going up the Rocky Mountains their 2 small turbos not one large single like a big diesel so it definitely helps with the smaller displacement. But hey For me it works, I’m no mechanic or expert just a kid that likes fishing, but yes I agree on if you are towing large loads regularly maybe you should step up to a 3/4ton. In the other posters case he already has the diesel so why get rid of it the 5.4L f150s are terrible so that would be a massive down grade hence why I said keep it newer if you went that route. Cheers!

Last edited:
The guys here are right - F150's are sold on hype to lawyers and accountants that want a "truck". I tow with a Silverado 3500 Duramax that was built to tow: Heavier frame, driveline, axles, brakes, tow-haul mode, transmission cooler and the list goes on. Up hill, down hill, starting up or slowing down, it does the job it was designed for much better. If you already have a real truck why trade it for a 150?
Yes and not everyone has a 10,000lb+ boat or the need for a one ton diesel most of us are average guys with 16-20’ boats going fishing with friends and family on the weekend. So saying f150s or any half ton for the matter aren’t real trucks and are for “hype lawyers and accountants” isn’t a valid statement in my humble opinion and no I’m not one of them I work in the trades,My truck has “tow hual mode”, factory trailer brake controller, additional trans cooler, upgraded inter cooler, locking rear differential, manual shift option. I guess my “hourston” isn’t a real boat then because it’s not getting pulled by a diesel lol sorry to get off topic just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys... Lots of factors and options to consider...

Simply put, I need a truck that will spend the majority of it's time hauling kids to Hockey, soccer, Dirt biking, mountain biking, etc... Commuting to work, and occasionally hauling a yard of gravel or soil or maybe a 4x8 sheet of gold (oops, I mean plywood).

Boat towing is limited to less than 200km trip from home, Basically from Lake Cowichan to Campbell River would be my longest drive... And that's pretty much all flat....

I've owned my Ram 3500 Dually for 15 yrs, I won't argue that it's setup up for towing... Gooseneck hitch in the bed, proper tow setup on the rear, 5.9L Cummins, We had a cattle farm up in northern BC so this thing has spent it's life hooked to heavy loads... Now it sits... Too big to maneuver in downtown Vic, terrible as a commuter and very expensive to maintain and just have sit... Reality is, I've found so far it even sucks on some boat ramps when the dually hit the slime....

I'll keep doing my research, Looking to buy as soon as my truck sells, or I find a decent trade it... but the reality of my options from people who have similar setups seems to be that I can get by with a properly setup 1/2 ton pickup of any manufacture...

Thanks everyone...

Thanks for all the replies guys... Lots of factors and options to consider...

Simply put, I need a truck that will spend the majority of it's time hauling kids to Hockey, soccer, Dirt biking, mountain biking, etc... Commuting to work, and occasionally hauling a yard of gravel or soil or maybe a 4x8 sheet of gold (oops, I mean plywood).

Boat towing is limited to less than 200km trip from home, Basically from Lake Cowichan to Campbell River would be my longest drive... And that's pretty much all flat....

I've owned my Ram 3500 Dually for 15 yrs, I won't argue that it's setup up for towing... Gooseneck hitch in the bed, proper tow setup on the rear, 5.9L Cummins, We had a cattle farm up in northern BC so this thing has spent it's life hooked to heavy loads... Now it sits... Too big to maneuver in downtown Vic, terrible as a commuter and very expensive to maintain and just have sit... Reality is, I've found so far it even sucks on some boat ramps when the dually hit the slime....

I'll keep doing my research, Looking to buy as soon as my truck sells, or I find a decent trade it... but the reality of my options from people who have similar setups seems to be that I can get by with a properly setup 1/2 ton pickup of any manufacture...

Thanks everyone...
There ya go buddy! All valid reasons I sold my 2500 Cummins for that exact reason, work downtown Victoria most days, there’s less and less parking, the traffics getting worse everyday. The truck didn’t fit in parkades. Was just annoying having to be careful where I went because of my truck.

Agreed that airbags don’t increase legal capacity but reducing squat affects more than just looks. Keeping weight distributed evenly back to front on your tow vehicle reduces compromising of your steering and braking ability. Even with this added security, I still wouldn’t be comfortable towing long distances at freeway speeds at or near max tow rating with any of the new half tons.

Yes and not everyone has a 10,000lb+ boat or the need for a one ton diesel most of us are average guys with 16-20’ boats going fishing with friends and family on the weekend. So saying f150s or any half ton for the matter aren’t real trucks and are for “hype lawyers and accountants” isn’t a valid statement in my humble opinion and no I’m not one of them I work in the trades,My truck has “tow hual mode”, factory trailer brake controller, additional trans cooler, upgraded inter cooler, locking rear differential, manual shift option. I guess my “hourston” isn’t a real boat then because it’s not getting pulled by a diesel lol sorry to get off topic just my thoughts.
Sorry to offend but I was also a contractor, for 40 years. I never once regretted having a heavier truck. It's a piece of equipment that should be more than adequate for the job. If your boat is 3500 pounds then I'm sure the F150 is fine.

this is a excusion i just finished building for a buddy of mine 12 valve cummins 6.7 vgt turbo and a zf6 speed ford tranny hurst short throw shifter. 2016 nose swap. it is a great tow rig can haul 7 people or a sheet of plywood

Attachments

• excusion.jpg
    excusion.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 98
  • excusion1.jpg
    excusion1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 86
  • excursion3.jpg
    excursion3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 82
  • excursion6.jpg
    excursion6.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 103
My father's 1/2ton Tundra tows my boat alright in town but requires a weight distribution hitch as does almost every single 1/2ton. Towing over the Malahat or to Port Alberni would not be fun with it or any 1/2 ton but I'm sure I could do it. Look up the commercial towing guide for Ford for the year you are looking at and you should be able to decipher what it should be able to town. If you don't mind the extra step of weight distribution hitch you shouldn't have trouble finding the right half ton. If you are lazy like me and just want to use a regular hitch then go bigger but a lot depends on finding a nice clean truck. I flew from Victoria to Williams lake to buy mine.

this is a excusion i just finished building for a buddy of mine 12 valve cummins 6.7 vgt turbo and a zf6 speed ford tranny hurst short throw shifter. 2016 nose swap. it is a great tow rig can haul 7 people or a sheet of plywood
Why would anyone go to the trouble of making a 6.7 a 12 valve?

I use my 2013 Ram 1/2 ton to tow my boats. My old boat was 5500lb and new boat is 6600lb on the trailer. New boat trailer with torsion springs and EOH brakes tows better than old boat. I regularly tow over the malahat and to renfrew from Sidney area and the truck does just fine. Yes you feel the weight, and it sucks the fuel, but no problem doing the speed limit.

Would I like a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton for towing? Sure. Do I want one as a daily driver though, no way!

I think you wi be fine, but make sure you scale your boat and trailer before you make a decision, because it might be a lot heavier than you think.

I would keep the truck you have that I assume is paid off and costs you nothing even if it sits waiting to be used more than it gets used.

Back