Towing Capacity?

Something else for you to consider. Brakes are required if the trailer exceeds 1400 kg,(3,305lbs) or more than 50% of the licensed vehicle weight of the towing unit. Ford Maverick hybrid curb weight is 1666kg ( 3673lbs) 50% of which is 833kg or 1836lbs. It is entirely possible you may require brakes.
Forget that Maverick and buy yourself an actual truck.

Just wanted to add this. Make sure whatever you pick isn't just for towing. I find people go and get all these large trucks then whine about cost of driving it all time. You save money with a diesel but then what you save gets eaten in maintenance. Thing to consider. Plus finding one in this market they are severely over priced.

A 16ft boat isn't going need a diesel or big F350 or 3500. I would go mid range truck a simple half ton. It gives you flexibility to eventually get a larger boat of you need it and most are fairly good in fuel.

Last edited:
I'm now a convinced diesel guy, but for smaller loads, the 6 cyl gas trucks offer some great options. This article focusses on light duty diesel [1/2 ton], but it also gives towing data for other power plants, and a good discussion of economy. Don't forget 30 mpg US = 36 mpg Imp.

Just wanted to add this. Make sure whatever you pick isn't just for towing. I find people go and get all these large trucks then whine about cost of driving it all time. You save money with a diesel but then what you save gets eaten in maintenance. Thing to consider. Plus finding one in this market they are severely over priced.

A 16ft boat isn't going need a diesel or big F350 or 3500. I would go mid range truck a simple half ton. It gives you flexibility to eventually get a larger boat of you need it and most are fairly good in fuel.
We all know how 2 or 4 foot-itis goes. Buy a truck that can handle the future demands of the next, bigger boat. When I towed, I never once regretted having the snort of the 3500 with the LMM diesel and Allison tranny. Up hill or down, it was wonderful. And I got big bucks for it as the trade-in, many years later.

Unless you need to fit four adults, what about a used Ranger? The 4l 4x4 would tow that no problem. I tow my 17' DE with one.

Unless you need to fit four adults, what about a used Ranger? The 4l 4x4 would tow that no problem. I tow my 17' DE with one.
you towing that up the malahat in 4 lo??!?

you DON"T want to be towing at your max... find whatever flavour of half ton you like and don't look back

you towing that up the malahat in 4 lo??!?

you DON"T want to be towing at your max... find whatever flavour of half ton you like and don't look back

I believe he’s referring to the 4L v6 engine and the truck being a 4x4

It is one of those things that will garner all types of opinions. If money wasn't an issue, you would not be asking! Given the price of gas, vehicles, and boats these days (amongst all else), it makes one consider what is needed versus wanted.

I tow my 16' campion explorer with our Honda Pilot. Its rated for 4000lbs + and my boat and trailer fully loaded is about 2500lbs tops. It tows it totally fine all over the island.

Would I like a bigger boat? Of course. Would I like a bigger truck to tow my current boat or a new boat? You're damn right I would!

Realistically, Get something that suits your overall needs (not just boat), may suit you for this boat or the next two foot-itis, but something that is reasonable with engine size and price but can tow you and the family and/or friends safely.

That new Nissan frontier looks pretty nice, rated at 6400 lbs tow rating, no hybrid tho. I, too, am waiting to see the new tundra hybrid, or even 4runner. I sat in the ice tundra the other days and it's very nice, but a turbo v6? Boo.

Remember not to just look at the tow rating.

Payload available and your GVWR also play a role. Simply looking at maximum tow rating leaves you short.

Ford lists best case maximum payload on a Maverick of 1500lbs. The more options you get, the less payload available. Look at the door jam of the vehicle you're looking at to get the actual number, it can be significantly under the best case published by the manufacturer.

Full tank of gas, a couple people, gear, several hundred pounds of trailer tongue weight will get you over GVWR faster than you may think.

When I was looking into this I seem to remember 4500 seems kinda like the minimum you want when trailing a boat a deep v glass boat in the 15 to 19 foot range and something like surge breaks on the trailer.

If your city driving and someone cuts you off you can really feel the surge breaks kick in during a hard breaking situation.

It’s the same truck and suspension as the gas version which has a much higher tow capacity. The low tow rating is based on the power output of the hybrid engine.
It is also the weight of the vehicle that affects the tow difference. I would not exceed the 75/80% as most have said. There are many of us that town thousands of KM a year and I hate seeing post like this. It gets scary how many people exceed the weight rating and tow rating of their vehicles. Also take into account insurance, if you are overweight and in an accident you may not have coverage.

If you’re set on a Maverick for towing, just get the 2.0 eco boost Awd. Our baby bronco averages 9.3 l/100. Fwd + slippery ramp is a disaster in the making.

Back