Towing Capacity?

Ghostprof

This is more of a truck question, but since they key question is really about towing my boat I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm thinking of getting a Maverick hybrid pick up, but the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs. I have a 16' Double Eagle with a 60 hp Yamaha on it to pull. With the trailer and gear I'm probably getting close to 2000 lbs. So: how solid is that "towing capacity" rating? And could I get away with pulling my rig up the Malahat, say, if I needed to or should I just swallow my pride and spring for a bigger truck?

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if it's just to take my question someplace else.

I would never buy a maverick with the intention of towing anything. It’s designed for city cruising with small loads which is very practical but not for towing boats. The ranger would still be pretty good for fuel mileage

This is more of a truck question, but since they key question is really about towing my boat I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm thinking of getting a Maverick hybrid pick up, but the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs. I have a 16' Double Eagle with a 60 hp Yamaha on it to pull. With the trailer and gear I'm probably getting close to 2000 lbs. So: how solid is that "towing capacity" rating? And could I get away with pulling my rig up the Malahat, say, if I needed to or should I just swallow my pride and spring for a bigger truck?

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if it's just to take my question someplace else.
Silly question. Every single guy here will tell you to get a bigger truck. Full size diesel preferably ;)

I would never buy a maverick with the intention of towing anything. It’s designed for city cruising with small loads which is very practical but not for towing boats. The ranger would still be pretty good for fuel mileage
Thanks!

I’d say follow the factory tow ratings carefully. Factory engineers take all aspects of their vehicles into account. Most importantly brake performance, suspension, and driveline capacity/durability. After you determine the true weight of your rig, loaded up with everything for a trip. Then pick a tow rig that’s rating is 20% above. Then you’re at 80%, and have some room to spare, for those extreme situations.

If you knowingly tow something that exceeds the manufacturers load limit, both your truck warranty and vehicle insurance may declared void. Something to think about if you break something or get into an accident. Not to mention you could be charged under the Motor Vehicle Act for driving a vehicle deemed unsafe.

No one ever regretted having a bigger truck for towing.

2000 lb tow capacity, is very low and I would be concered towing your boat. Very close to a small 4cly car, daugters toyota Matrix is 1500 lbs. All ways best to have more tow vehical than trailer. Just my 2 cents sorry.

I looked at the Maverick with the two engine choices and noticed the difference in capacity when you go from the hybrid to the pure gasoline engine. I take it you want to go with a hybrid and tow the lower amount? You should be fine. Your boat and trailer doesn’t need brakes because it’s not that heavy, and yes Malahat but you might have to shift manually.

2000lbs is equal to almost zero in the towing world. I'd never use any more than 75-80% of capacity. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Just don't do it.
It’s the same truck and suspension as the gas version which has a much higher tow capacity. The low tow rating is based on the power output of the hybrid engine.

You need a truck capable of towing your future boat. Keep that in mind. You dont want to be held back from the 18 footer in a couple years due to not being able to properly tow it. The Cummings diesel is calling your name.

I towed my 16 ft double eagle/same size motor with pathfinder for years going up and down malahat. That one had a capacity of 3500 lbs, and it just cut it. 2000lbs is to light for that boat/trailer especially with a DE.

I tow a 21ft proline with my 2017 Tacoma. It's rated for 6500lbs. It's awkwardly big compared to the truck when i'm on the road but it does the job. I always inspect the breaks and make sure it's fully functional before my trips. Fully equipped with gear is about 5300lbs.

These trucks are not too bad on gas and has a good towing capacity for a V6. I'm looking into the new hybrid Tundra next year!

Something else for you to consider. Brakes are required if the trailer exceeds 1400 kg,(3,305lbs) or more than 50% of the licensed vehicle weight of the towing unit. Ford Maverick hybrid curb weight is 1666kg ( 3673lbs) 50% of which is 833kg or 1836lbs. It is entirely possible you may require brakes.

I've been all over the map on this issue. I first towed a 16' Skookum Sealer - two motors, maybe 1000 lbs on a trailer - with a 1973 Mazda Rotary wagon. Later with a 1984 Rabbit - under 100 hp. No issues, even with 4 divers and gear. But I was much happier when I switched to an 88 Jeep Cherokee with 180 hp V6 and an actual tow rating.

As a more mature person, I'd agree with those who suggest staying well under your tow rating. Now I'm the guy with the 7700 lb rig, and the 13,000 lb Cummins towing capacity. Can't imagine wanting less for this boat.

For your situation, you have to decide if you want the room to change boats without changing vehicles, or if you've got a stable plan you can live with for a few years. And definitely weigh the loaded boat before you go any further.

Used to tow my 21 ft Striper with a Ford ranger until my first trip to Port , comming down the hill near the candy place put on the brakes and damn near didnt make the turn, it's not just towing capacity but also weight, got a Ram 1500 when I got home and no problems now.

You need a truck capable of towing your future boat. Keep that in mind. You dont want to be held back from the 18 footer in a couple years due to not being able to properly tow it. The Cummings diesel is calling your name.
Oh my god -- how are you inside my head?

Back