ECVI Nanoose, French Creek Report

Fished Ballenas very slow. Trolled from Ballenas to mistaken just for fun and Caught a 9lb spring between the two in 800ft of water 200 on the rigger.

Been fishin ballenas the last 2 nights. Nabbed a 28 lb and a 25lb at high tide at 90' feet with large gear no flasher.

Seen pics of a 43 taken yesterday morning but no other info at all. It was a friend of a friend.

6' glow plugs at bout 3.5 mph lots of turns and speed changes. We lost a few this week but coho and 2-3 year springs been hammerin the plugs, chargin em with flashlight every 10-15 minutes. Tried dummy flashers on the ball seems to spook the larger fish.

2013 French Creek Salmon Derby Aug 23-25

Hey everyone,Ticket sales are going well. Hoping to get lots of ECVI anglers out for the event. There are lots of great prizes up for grabs. All proceeds are going to local salmon enhancement. I will be posting updates of the leaderboard as the weekend progresses. Good luck to all!

Check out the thread for 2013 French Creek Salmon Derby for more information.

Western Star

Out Last night out front of marina 5:30-8:30. Still lots of boats out but not many fish. If you had a spoon on at any depth you had a tiny shaker at 4" to 5" on within a few minutes. Really frustrating. Still lots of pinks in the area up top 25' for those who want to target them. Lot of boats came in a dark and a long line to pull out. tales were fairly consistent most had nothing ; one boat had a pink and one boat that was up at little Q had a real nice mid 30's.

Went to Winchelsea yesterday.

Spent about 4 hours jigging for Lings with not much success. Bottomfish seemed dis-interested in most offerings.

Went up to Gerald/Mistaken later and noodled around at the Cottam Buoy , trolling for Coho and what not. Not much action there. Very few fish or bait on the finder.

Went back to Winchelsea and started trolling for Coho. Now about 5:30pm.

Caught a few undersize Chinooks (released)......no Coho.

Started trolling in shallower water......and caught a 10lb Ling and a 7lb Ling on these:-

002.jpg

Lord/Springs:- I made them up myself......to look like herring.....Lings seem to be on herring these days (that's what in the stomachs)......made up the flashers too.......

So with all this rain /wind going on day after day lately , is that a game-changer off French Creek and area?

Chinooks shooting up the rivers now......or is there enough water in them yet?

Once they get a sniff of all the freshwater I imagine they'll make a beeline......

Any big Coho showing up yet?......other than homegrown locals?

Pinks will probably be heading for the rivers too, right?

Went to Winchelsea yesterday.

Spent about 4 hours jigging for Lings with not much success. Bottomfish seemed dis-interested in most offerings.

Went up to Gerald/Mistaken later and noodled around at the Cottam Buoy , trolling for Coho and what not. Not much action there. Very few fish or bait on the finder.

Went back to Winchelsea and started trolling for Coho. Now about 5:30pm.

Caught a few undersize Chinooks (released)......no Coho.

Started trolling in shallower water......and caught a 10lb Ling and a 7lb Ling on these:-

View attachment 8733

how did you make those flashers seafever? they look awesome!

demco99:- I did not actually make the flasher body itself.....these were flashers that I retaped.......

I buy tape from WTF....and also Baker's Dozen on e-bay....plus if I see something locally that I like I will buy it.

Harbor Chandler in Nanaimo carries certain rolls of bulk tape that they will cut by the foot.....(they have GLOW)

Buying online is usually cheaper than buying local.

I usually don't like refinishing flashers because it's a pain in the butt getting all the old sticky adhesive off...

Spent Wednesday morning trolling hoochies & spoons between French Creek and the Little Qualicum. We saw lots of small Coho feeding on the surface off French Creek and cursed ourselves for not bringing a fly rod. Spent the afternoon fishing along the drop off at the LQ and finally got an almost tyee on a 4" Irish Cream. Saw one other caught. A bit Bronze coloured but still a nice one. The stomach was completly empty so she was either very hungry or very mad. Complete gong show landing her, wrapped around the downrigger twice and all snarled up in the other line. What a blast! If that litle river swells a bit with this rain those fish will be gone. They are getting pretty ripe. Cheers; twogone

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work, TwoGone!!

A couple of days ago I stopped at Nanoose Bay pullout on my way back from Nanaimo about 3 p.m........it was quite windy.

I looked out over the middle of the bay.......and I noticed these huge splashes at different places , although most were right out front where I was looking.

I thought they were seals.....but I didn't see anything that looked like a seal. Never saw a seal anywhere.

Figured they might be fish.......

Splashes were pretty big........but when I saw a splash I couldn't really see anything that looked like a fish either......

It wasn't birds of any kind.......

Got any ideas what that might be?

So tell me what the Hell is with the ramp at French Creek, most places are one in and one out in the middle of the day.
Today at 1100hrs we waited for an hour to get the boat on the trailer.
The Lasqueti Barge was on the left hand side and the right was the only side to be used.
We kept watching as people continued to launch as the WARFINGER for the Harbour Authority stood by and watched.
I guess we should of pushed our way in and got into a shouting match with someone.
Some people have no courtesy.
Just my rant for the day.

That ramp is the worst. For the money they charge you would think they could hire some students like clutesi to direct traffic

Back