Downrigger braid

Curious how long you have been running 15's? I know the older style are capable of pulling up 15's, but recall reading that Scotty has said the older riggers should do more than 12.

It's obvious that 15's are better than 12's for deep water fishing, I just don't want to kill my riggers.

I have run the old double belt models and the single belt models with 15's for almost 20 years. For a while I ran nothing but 13 pound Gibbs pancake weights and loved them till they started charging $50+ for them then I started buying 15's off Craigslist.

Nothing to do with braid

I hope it's OK to ask this question in this thread; I'd prefer not to start a new one.

It it possible, feasible or just a waste of time trying to repair a Scotty downrigger release set up? The nylon between the clip and the release somehow got nicked and broke when I tested it. If so, where can one purchase the heavy nylon and the appropriate swages for joining it. I already have a quite expensive swage crimper. Thanks for your help; Twogone

Nothing to do with braid

I hope it's OK to ask this question in this thread; I'd prefer not to start a new one.

It it possible, feasible or just a waste of time trying to repair a Scotty downrigger release set up? The nylon between the clip and the release somehow got nicked and broke when I tested it. If so, where can one purchase the heavy nylon and the appropriate swages for joining it. I already have a quite expensive swage crimper. Thanks for your help; Twogone

Weed trimmer line works good.

Nothing to do with braid

I buy a bucket full and make my own for my buds and bro. Just shoot me your address and I will send you some in the mail the scotty ones are pricey I buy them bulk from a company out of the US, double barrel sleeves for 1000 for 80 bucks exact same ones scotty packages for 5 or 6 for $3-4 . I will see what I have laying around I ordered the wrong ones so I didn't have that many this time .Ill send you some line too. This is my good deed for the day.lol

Cheers

Tony

I have made several repairs using the same 200lb Power Pro braid I use for my puller line. Easy to make up using clips and releases you can salvage or purchase. I tried using some heavy mono I have from old handlines, but it is hard to find crimp on connector sleeves to make the end loops. Just tie the braid up using the good old palamar knot.
As far as downrigger line, I use the 200 lb Power Pro & love it. Gave up on the Scotty stopper beads, they either move or break. I have used a trolling line crimp on metal stopper, bit they can cause a weakness in the line. Found the Scotty twin (stacker) release to work the best. Get the ones with the regular clip.
For cannon balls, carry 10s, 12s and 15s. Favorite is the 12, Queen has trouble managing the 15s. 10 are only for shallow depth fishing.

I buy a bucket full and make my own for my buds and bro. Just shoot me your address and I will send you some in the mail the scotty ones are pricey I buy them bulk from a company out of the US, double barrel sleeves for 1000 for 80 bucks exact same ones scotty packages for 5 or 6 for $3-4 . I will see what I have laying around I ordered the wrong ones so I didn't have that many this time .Ill send you some line too. This is my good deed for the day.lol

Cheers

Tony

Tony; that is a very kind and generous offer indeed! As I am living on a pathetic little CPP I will take you up on it. The release set ups I have are 30" but my Penn downrigger boom is 46" so I have to swing the boom into the boat each time I attach a line. I would like to make longer ones. Weed wacker line sounds like a great idea and I have tons of it here (my wife is a gardner). I will send you my email address so I can let you know my address (I'm told it's not kosher to do it on the forum). Many thanks for all the advice, I'm a novice at all this and have a lot to learn.
twogone

Hi CCB,

Can you show me a pic of your setup that you make please. I would like to try and make some as when I take out new people fishing we seem to lose a lot of them and it starts to add up

Thanks

I just retie with limp nylon rope. Simple and easy. One can buy a line lip for about $1 then buy a bulk release clip tie a piece of limp nylon rope between them and you now have a clip for about half price.

I like the limp nylon cause its so easy to use and put away, and has no memory. Doesn't kink.

Any one find a good place to buy the stuff in bulk and make your own ? If so could you please let me know

PNT, Redden Net.... Just watch the price of the SS line clip often you can buy for about $1 some shops like to ask $2-3. Plus you can reuse the old ones don't throw them away. You can even buy replacement green tips when he original set wear out. I replace the tips yearly.

Paul any tackle store will have them but not bulk clips or berrel sleaves you have to order them. FA is right it works out to about half price or less but you have to buy bulk if shops don't want to match online prices I think I paid 1$ for metal clips not sure if there Scotty but there identical and then I paid roughly 180-200 for a bucket of 50 release clips then you can buy double heavy duty berrel sleeves and use cheap 150-200lb mono sure the up front cost is there but then your clips works out to less $5-6 instead of $12-15 go into with 5 buds and spilt the cost. Oh and the berrel sleaves will be about .10 each if you buy in bulk online. I messed up and ordered the wrong size so there not as heavy duty as I like but still hold 100lb mono I have had no issues as of yet but I prefer 150- 200lb I dont know how to post photos on here still but if you send me your number or email I can send it to you.

What swivel it's a double berrel sleave I make look identical to Scotty release clips you cannot tell the difference.

180 lb test you can buy at any tackle shop. Sleeves are .20 each in packs of 25 at Redden. Any crimp tool will work. I make them up to be 48". Scotty's pre -packaged
twin-stackers will give you two clips for $8 and the downrigger line clips are about $1.25 at Redden. Works out to half-price making your own.

Good line stops will keep you from losing them in the heat of the moment or when a guest isn't paying attention. Good luck, twogone.

Is there any reason to use crimps when making up release clips when a simple knot does the same job? A little cleaner I suppose.

Overhand loop knots are very simple even with the thicker line. I use them at the end of my hali leaders instead of crimping on a swivel works great and works for release clips too.

Well did the full test today holy cow awesome with gagnion/braid system, and simple... no stopper beads/swivels or nothing....no lost clips works totally smooth....love it...I am one of those braided guys now...LOL
It's hard to believe that I waited so long to do it this way. It is far cheaper, and a lot easier to handle and work with this way.

Back