Downrigger braid

I use braided straight to gangion with now swivels or clips. I connect directly right to my cannonball. Must always remember to test the brake and adjust when necessary if doing this.

I connected both the fishing twine and braided together with a knot. and then covered the knot with a small wrap of tape to keep it clean looking.

Knot type---> http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special/

The line in diagram doing all the twists use the braided as it's thinner and sinks right into the ganion/fishing twine. Swivels are great how ever this knot will trip the brake so swivels aren't needed. I only use just enough swivels as the less knots the better in my opinion even though it's only one extra. There would be a swivel at your quick release for you canon ball to prevent twisted line if the issue was present.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how D.Murphy does his......but I would still put some kind of good heavyduty ball bearing swivel down at the ball. The ball will rotate at times....and on his, when it does, there is nothing stopping the resulting braid/gagnon twist he will get from trolling all day long.

I use a #48 stiff gangon that's about 400 pound breaking strength. I buy spools from Redden Net in CR for about $15. It will last you a life time.

This is what mine looks like done

The eyes I tie are 2 and 10 inches.

The 2 inch one completely replaces the auto stop and attaches to my brained with a pallimer knot.

I put at knot in the line just below the pulley to make sure my release clip never slides up.

Then the 10 inch loop goes thru the eye of the cannonball and round the ball.

I use no swivels, no stupid auto stops and no krimps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do mine the same way Murphy does his and I also have my release clip attached to the gangion cord

shoot I thought I needed 20lb balls and just got some. I have older scottys is that to much weight? I do fish around Sooke with faster currents but ive never fished very deep (except once and I lost my ball). Im going braid so blow back should be less. Will 12's or 15 work? How do I tell if 20's are to much for my scottys? just slow?

shoot I thought I needed 20lb balls and just got some. I have older scottys is that to much weight? I do fish around Sooke with faster currents but ive never fished very deep (except once and I lost my ball). Im going braid so blow back should be less. Will 12's or 15 work? How do I tell if 20's are to much for my scottys? just slow?

20's are too big. even 15's are too big. 12's are the way to go. my experience with braid is there is more blow back. not sure why.

Is there a way to set up a rigger with ss wire in a similar way that FA and that video show?

Dave,

once you fish 15lbs you'll never go back to 12lbs.
just my opinion, the extra 3lbs makes a huge difference.

:)

I fish 15's all the time with my 1106's and I know they will pull 18's. I am going to try 20's.

Once you own 15's you will never go back to 12's unless its the only option.

I fish 15's all the time with my 1106's and I know they will pull 18's. I am going to try 20's.

Once you own 15's you will never go back to 12's unless its the only option.

Curious how long you have been running 15's? I know the older style are capable of pulling up 15's, but recall reading that Scotty has said the older riggers should do more than 12.

It's obvious that 15's are better than 12's for deep water fishing, I just don't want to kill my riggers.

Is there a way to set up a rigger with ss wire in a similar way that FA and that video show?

I don't know, but before I switched over to braid I had the big stainless swivel clipped into a 2 foot doubled loop of green gangion. a) Makes lifting the ball aboard easier on the hands and b) I attached the green/black Scotty release clip to the 5 foot tag end of the knot I used to double the gangion.
Choke the ball to the loop, then when taking the ball off unclip the swivel rather than trying to undo the ball from the gangion.

Back