Down rigger line release clips

IMO the topshot of mono with the braid backing really is a perfect setup, I actually use it for all my fishing.

The braid lasts pretty much indefinitely unless it get rashed in a cable or something and you only need to change out your top shot as required.
Tossing miles of mono every season used to kill me.
The mono topshot gives you stretch when you need it most, when you get to the critical point of landing the fish, plus the braid allows for more control than mono on a fish that has run a long way out.
The other biggie is it allows for the mono to be pinched in the release clip and not the braid, seems the mono releases more consistently to me but I only really tried the braid straight thru for a short time many years ago and never really put any effort into trying to perfect it.
I use hollow core braid on my boat rods with the knotless splices but on my spinners and river levelwinds I use the John Collins knot to attach the mono. Of all the versions of the Allbright I have used its the easiest to tie with the smallest head so it slides thru the guides nicest, and I have yet to have it fail. Seriously for those that use the double uni give the JC a try, you will be surprised at the difference in the finished knot and its just as easy to tie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice knot Owen, will give that a go. Looks easier than the Uni. Thanks for sharing. And yes, we are using braid on mooching reels - try it you will NEVER go back.
I prefer to make the loop in my mono then wrap the braided around it. I find the braided makes a much smaller cinch when pulled tight, and I feel the braided is tougher and takes more wear when going in and out. I have yet to lose a top shot. I only bring this up as I've seen guys do it the other way and it looks like crap.

I am running Suffix 832 ghost line I bought at PNT then running a 30# top shot of ultra green. I forget the join is even there at times. I like to seeing it come in and then I know how far the fish is from the boat.

I use a toothpick.

Wrap the line around a toothpick a couple of times and then stick it in the clip.

Works great!!

Or...get new pads for your downrigger clip. The new pads I put on mine hold the 30lb braid. But that may just be luck.

Forgot to add that using the toothpick lets me use 20lb braid. So reduced blow-back, good bend in the rod so if a fish ever hits it, I should get a quick "line take up"

Hey Stosh, never an issue with line cuts guiding using the braid. The top shot (I use 40 pound Floro) takes care of that. As mentioned earlier, the braid lasts indefinitely. I have 4 seasons on my Suffix 832. Costs a lot up front, but compared to replacing your main line 1 to 2 times a season with mono, it works out to be far cheaper. Pretty sure the guys at Rapala won't be happy with me saying that, but truth is you can save a lot of coin going this route. I do however change my Floro Top Shot every season, and sometimes 2 x a season depending on wear/tear. I will change out my 832 this winter; don't want to press for season 5 and get burned on a hog. Last and not least, the really cool thing about the 832 is when a fish rips the line out it has the most awesome sound...love that more than the screaming reel.

It only needs to be as long as you set it back from the clip. I put about 70' on because I like to run plugs that far back sometimes. Less than 30' would have worked for much of the summer and there still would be enough to clip off terminal gear and retie many times.

Agree with Tubber on that point, length will depend on what/how you plan to fish. I don't run my plugs any farther back than 50 feet, thus that is what I go with for top shot length. Everyone has their preferred ways to fish, so your length will depend on that factor. One other advantage I forgot to mention is if you are fishing off shore in deep water, the braid reduces stretch so easier hook ups.

Any way you slice it I really can't find any disadvantages to braid on mooching reels. Try it you'll like it :D

Back