Down rigger line release clips

DELPHIN

Changed from mono to braid made a mistake and went with 30 pound. Well there is no way the line will stay in the clip. I have had to put a 30 foot mono leader on to be able to fish.What do you guys do?

Changed from mono to braid made a mistake and went with 30 pound. Well there is no way the line will stay in the clip. I have had to put a 30 foot mono leader on to be able to fish.What do you guys do?
.... Don't use braid ..

There are several options.
1) Use heavier braid - I tend to run 65# power pro and it does OK in the standard Scotty clips.
2) As you have done, add some mono topshot. I like this option the best as there are some additional benefits to a little mono topshot. I use a modified albright knot to connect the mono to the braid.
3) Modify the downrigger clips. See page 3 of this thread. The fuel line tensioner works great with braid.

I use a toothpick.

Wrap the line around a toothpick a couple of times and then stick it in the clip.

Works great!!

Or...get new pads for your downrigger clip. The new pads I put on mine hold the 30lb braid. But that may just be luck.

I use braid on my rigger and recently switched to Pro-Release II. It takes a little getting used to but I no longer have the unintentional releases due to line or pad contamination (e.g.,scent) that occurred with the Scotty release. You should easily be able to use the 30# braid. BTW, I also crimp on a safety harness onto the release so if the big clip that attaches to the rigger line comes off, you won't lose the clip. It is a mono line, about 8 inches that is attached to the clip (with crimped loop) and the other end is a coastlok clip that is attached to the rigger line but is able to slide freely up and down. I can send picture if you want.

I use a toothpick.

Wrap the line around a toothpick a couple of times and then stick it in the clip.

Works great!!

Or...get new pads for your downrigger clip. The new pads I put on mine hold the 30lb braid. But that may just be luck.

Toothpicks for the win, but I usually go with 50+ lb braid. Once you hit around 100lb braid it will stay in the clip like mono, but unlike mono it will twist something fierce.

I've been fishing Suffix 832 super braid for 4 seasons. Tried running it straight through and can tell you the Scotty Clips do not like braid! So, I now run floro top shot (about 50 feet) to allow me to more effectively run the Scotty clips...no issues. Just use the Uni Knot to join braid to the floro. No issues with the knot coming apart.

Hope that helps.

I also made the mistake of going with 30# braid at first.
Then spent most of a season trying all of the above fixes.
Have been using 80# braid for several years now. Behaves better than mono.

30 lb braid with 30 ft topshot of 30 lb mono. Best of both worlds, the low stretch of braid shows every bump and nudge when you're fishing deep, plus the mono has some give when bringing fish close to the boat.

This connection knot worked great for me last year. I use 40# braid on 40# flouro. I used the same knot for the whole year but I modified it with the use of some crazy glue at the back of the knot and then added some independent uni knots(with a separate piece of braid) up the mono a bit as wear material.

EDIT: Forgot to put in link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried the crazy glue trick. Did it help to smooth out the line bump at the Uni knot? Sometimes the knot catches up a little bit in the smaller guides. Would be good to find a simple trick to reduce this. Its more an annoyance than anything.

Are all of you running braid on mooching reels? I tried braid on a mooching reel years ago, but found I would get line cuts when guiding my line on my mooching reels.
Thanks
Stosh

I haven't tried the crazy glue trick. Did it help to smooth out the line bump at the Uni knot? Sometimes the knot catches up a little bit in the smaller guides. Would be good to find a simple trick to reduce this. Its more an annoyance than anything.

works good...:)

I'm not using the uni. I forgot to put the link to the knot I use. It is there now. The advantage of this knot is when a fish runs and pulls the knot through the guides there it is Very smooth running out the guides. This also makes it ideal for casting. Its not the same bringing the knot into the guides tho and this is why I added the uni knots.

The Albright is a good knot to use to connect braid to mono, smaller knot than the Uni. The other option is to use hollow braid to connect mono to solid braid and no knots!

Nice knot Owen, will give that a go. Looks easier than the Uni. Thanks for sharing. And yes, we are using braid on mooching reels - try it you will NEVER go back.

This thread inspired me to try braid with a top shot of mono for next season. I'm terrible at seeing those tiny takes and the braid should definitely help.

Back