Cuts of meat on sale

If any of you guys in the lower mainland are looking for a good deal on regular ground beef, The Mad Butcher in Abbotsford has 10lbs packaged into 1lb logs of frozen reg ground beef for $20 everyday. They have lean ground too but more expensive, not positive on price as I always buy regular.

I picked up 3 of them last night. I asked the butcher to look in the freezer for some smaller ones and was able to get them around the 6kg weight. One was even less than that. At the end of the day I think I got it down to just over $4.50/lb The flats are going into pastrami and I'll save the points for smoked brisket. The excess fat goes into my grind with our spring bears.

I picked up two at save on the other day for $3.99 lb. No room in the freezer for more.
Was that a local item? When I checked the Save On Flyer and when I went to the Ladysmith Store they were $4.99/lb but I have seen several people here reference the $3.99/lb deal

Ok what did you do here and where are the instructions

I followed this:

View attachment 80161

Results of some save on Brisket.
Looks delicious. How long did you cure it for. I've made that recipe 3x now and I really like it but this last batch I brined for 7 days and the nitrites didn't penetrate fully. I ended up with some brown in the center. I see you did too but not as bad as mine.

Attachments

• 20220526_135723.jpg
    20220526_135723.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 26
Looks delicious. How long did you cure it for. I've made that recipe 3x now and I really like it but this last batch I brined for 7 days and the nitrites didn't penetrate fully. I ended up with some brown in the center. I see you did too but not as bad as mine.
When I do that recipe I get the briskets pre-corned from the butcher. Saves a lot of time. They do it for a minimum of 10 days. The original recipe also called for smoking it to a higher internal temp. He's since revised it to only bring it up to the stall before removing and then steaming the next day. I still prefer to smoke it all the way because you get a better bark and the steaming process seams to take less time. I've actually even started foregoing the steaming and sousviding smaller pieces instead.

When I do that recipe I get the briskets pre-corned from the butcher. Saves a lot of time. They do it for a minimum of 10 days. The original recipe also called for smoking it to a higher internal temp. He's since revised it to only bring it up to the stall before removing and then steaming the next day. I still prefer to smoke it all the way because you get a better bark and the steaming process seams to take less time. I've actually even started foregoing the steaming and sousviding smaller pieces instead.
I can definitely see how buying corned beef would save a lot of time. I don't mind the work of brining the brisket but it does take up a lot of fridge space and I do tend to get impatient and try to sneak it out early. I've made this mistake twice now. I either need to go back to a 10+ day brine or perhaps try injecting. I smoke mine all the way through rather than steaming as I really like a nice bark. I try for 204 F but usually get impatient around 190-195 and it is still delicious. I haven't tried the Texas crutch on pastrami but I usually do it on my smoked brisket.

Back