Cuts of meat on sale

Looks delicious. How long did you cure it for. I've made that recipe 3x now and I really like it but this last batch I brined for 7 days and the nitrites didn't penetrate fully. I ended up with some brown in the center. I see you did too but not as bad as mine.

I did just the flat and cured for 3 days. So probably a bit thinner than yours for better penetration.

I did not steam. Only used the smoker/kamado and cooked at 225 until it stalled at 170. Then wrapped in foil until 204.

I can definitely see how buying corned beef would save a lot of time. I don't mind the work of brining the brisket but it does take up a lot of fridge space and I do tend to get impatient and try to sneak it out early. I've made this mistake twice now. I either need to go back to a 10+ day brine or perhaps try injecting. I smoke mine all the way through rather than steaming as I really like a nice bark. I try for 204 F but usually get impatient around 190-195 and it is still delicious. I haven't tried the Texas crutch on pastrami but I usually do it on my smoked brisket.
The hot new method is the boat. Look it up.

Maybe next time. I saw a few folks talking about it (probably in this thread) awhile ago. I didn't look into it too much because to be honest smoked brisket using the foil or butcher paper is so damn delicious that I can't imagine it getting any better. But what the heck, why not try something new. In the meantime I need to figure out my curing issues. I've had so many successful batches and all of a sudden things have gone side ways. I've run two pastrami batches and two back bacon batches now where I didn't get cure penetration all the way to the center. I probably should go back to square one and do a batch from the recipe. I've had so many successful batches that I think I've gotten a bit cavalier and kind of just winging it. Clearly, I've made some changes that I shouldn't have. Maybe Wolf can chime in with some tips.

Our local butcher posted this last night. I’ll be loading up a the steak for sure, maybe some beef patties and sausage. This is a local family run shop, well above average quality of meat. Their product is second to none.

52116934503_e53680859b_z.jpg
[/url]

Our local butcher posted this last night. I’ll be loading up a the steak for sure, maybe some beef patties and sausage. This is a local family run shop, well above average quality of meat. Their product is second to none.

52116934503_e53680859b_z.jpg
[/url]
I go to Hamels every time I go to Cold Lake.

Back