Commander 26 Re Build

Are you putting the original interior back in?
Yes I am. The teak is beautiful imo, might be a few knicks here and there but after cleaning, light sand, and fresh stain, it looks awesome and most importantly the wife approves. I have prepared mostly every piece, but lots of little things left to do. This will be by far the most difficult part of the process for me. I also can’t match the teak with anything around right now, I bought a piece and started making a new bathroom cabinet, but I can bring the original back to life better than I can build one to match!
Everything else is new. I do want to tackle as much as I can myself, I’m going to cut foam for cushions, have the upholstery stitched and wrap it myself. The wall fabric is new, and I have been playing around with different glues and got it down pretty good. Originally I wanted to keep the headlight because it looked mint, but it’s too hard to save if you are removing everything and after removing one piece and see the original cover I realized the headliner was 10 shades darker. I have the headliner, wall material and new carpet. The longest part of the process was walking around stores like fabric land and carpet world and online searching for something the wife will agree to. I was shut down on a daily basis with Awesome ideas to get carpet and upholstery with anchors or fish patterns. I decided to give up and listen to the wife’s suggestions and we both decided on something simple and classic. I plan to keep the interior old fashion, SHAGG carpet or as close as possible, and I’m keeping the old style chrome push pull switches and not rockers. I want a cozy and soft feeling in the cabin. I do have new countertops for dinette, bathroom and kitchen, and picked up a stainless sink to replace the tobacco white one. Will post pics of my progress so far in preparing the interior

Here are some pics of what’s in plan for the interior. The bathroom base I ordered online Lowe’s and matched to the closest size possible. Ron might have to make a slight adjustment on the drain location but besides that it should fit perfect. Bathroom vinyl wall covering will be more of a beige colour not the original white. Perforated white headliner, the hole pattern is little different than original. The wall fabric is my favourite and hope it works well, also made sure you can’t see anything through it5208D62C-12DB-4BEB-ABCA-9057758DB74D.jpegBE7F747D-A3F6-4D9A-8F6B-7DBFC454C44D.jpeg0198586F-8D5B-440C-805A-1AEDCFBCFF04.jpegB9614135-DB8C-4EB1-8E7E-712F8EFAE6E5.jpegBE1A574F-AFE5-43C4-BD51-8BACDD5C2B37.jpeg

A bit of progress today. Cleaned up the back preparing for pod installation, drilled out rub rail hardware and started glassing holes. Need to remove rear tow hook still…. Not sure y it’s not out yet… lot of planning today, overall it was a good day, convinced Ron to paint the whole boat! Original plan was a new gel coat from rub rail up as my glass guy said to hull is mint and he can make it look brand new. I think he was worried about the time it would take to gel coat. We are going with a marine paint instead. Plan is to go 120 grit everything, primer and paint. This plans seems way more logical for me, but I’m no expert, 6D205677-BE6A-4E40-8F4E-1E79D73FBC76.jpeg05A36A04-36DE-4C5D-B24C-26959C49B830.jpeg9E355332-C32E-4C78-A127-19D5915FC9E8.jpeg

This rear tow hook, FYI it is coming out, actually I’m going to take it out right now it’s bothering me.
Do I legally need a rear tow hook and does it have to be mounted to the transom? It really is going to be useless between the twins , especially mounted so low. Mounting a tow hook to the pod doesn’t seam like a very good idea. FA024F64-8B3F-4CDB-9204-5F46CDE3EF3C.jpeg

Fantastic! I wonder if Ron could refinish the stupid taylormade curved windshield frame that they won't sell me a replacement for? So bizarre...

Are you putting the original interior back in?
Here are a few pics of where I’m at with the teak.
planning any final touch ups once installed. I do have new hinges but they are just a bit off the original ones and I don’t want any sign of hinge replacement visible. The old ones cleaned up very nice and most likely will go on with new hardware. All little latches and catches will be replaced. I did buy some teak to play around with, I don’t like it as much as the original, the pattern doesn’t wow me, and with the colour scheme I’m trying to keep, it will be nicer to keep the original teak. I tried staining the new teak, it’s ok but you can’t change the pattern. I Love the original interior, if it was brand new I wouldn’t change one thing or one colour. 009F69C4-5BF1-4082-BD87-CB1EC9FD72A3.jpeg95B62017-8092-4389-AB8F-C5B29C96D4CA.jpeg425564EC-C1C6-4D74-9D24-414821057785.jpeg34943C72-8EDB-4212-A9EF-428D57FD26FC.jpegI lightly sanded everything front ,back and sides and stained everything all around to have a fresh feel and smell. Nothing will be untouched, everything will be freshA92A04CA-B4BD-4325-AFEB-4007A836489C.jpegA11EBDAE-8C43-4A54-9F97-C6CD761A5F53.jpegGot some countertop sheet cut, decided to cover original, this stuff is thin and strong

This build has been on my radar for awhile... I'm paying close attention. You've obviously put much thought into it and seem to be moving at an impressive pace. I look forward to following along, and stoked to see we're in the same area code. Cheers

This build has been on my radar for awhile... I'm paying close attention. You've obviously put much thought into it and seem to be moving at an impressive pace. I look forward to following along, and stoked to see we're in the same area code. Cheers
Thank you Sir.
Love that a beautiful thunderjet behind that dino!

I used boiled Linseed oil on my teak as recomended by Morley. Its what was used at the factory.
Very happy with the finish. Almost varnish like. A light sand between coats works good too.

Thanks for the input on lowering the deck. I would of never thought of it… maybe after few years of fishing on the boat I would realize the deck should go down.
The Deck is getting lowered
Plan is to clean up all the stuff I have left half in under the deck , get rid of it all and hopefully make a cut or 2 before Ron gets in.
The job doesn’t look hard with everything removed out of the way, my plan is to cut around the perimeter and then the lower mounts, shorten the mounts, then let Ron do his magic.
Looks like 5cuts and the deck is out ?!?!
18E8DC73-A305-419C-99E3-8C93EF51EE28.jpeg9D4AF63D-DBC0-4725-A184-649EE9114DA4.jpeg0338DD12-3097-4AFC-B951-56377E0F95D1.jpeg39E218FE-5A06-4CB9-84A1-B9169AA76646.jpeg57C02E8A-B053-45FA-8538-1CE76D679CF9.jpeg

Thanks for the input on lowering the deck. I would of never thought of it… maybe after few years of fishing on the boat I would realize the deck should go down.
Plan is to clean up all the stuff I have left half in under the deck , get rid of it all and hopefully make a cut or 2 before Ron gets in.
The job doesn’t look hard with everything removed out of the way, my plan is to cut around the perimeter and then the lower mounts, shorten the mounts, then let Ron do his magic.
View attachment 76290View attachment 76291View attachment 76292View attachment 76293View attachment 76294
I want to do this. Tell Ron to keep good notes.

View attachment 76290View attachment 76291View attachment 76292View attachment 76293View attachment 76294
Looking forward to seeing this done. Take lots of pics please, this is going to be cool.

I think this is definitely the way to go, it has kinda always been the one gripe I had about commanders but with this, perfect boat.

I think this is definitely the way to go, it has kinda always been the one gripe I had about commanders but with this, perfect boat.
The 26 especially. It's a big step down and a major head knocker. I'm short so on mine I can duck under the hatch without having to open it, in a pinch. Id love to eliminate the step down to inside altogether.

Any suggestions on how much to lower the deck? right now it’s planned at 8”
I took the day and the weekend off so hoping to get her done.
Got everything out from under the deck and going to start cutting shortly, will start at 8” and if needed will drop more

Back