Centre Cabin walk around vs. Centre Console

M1SF1T

Thinking of a beamy alloy 26' build. I'm torn...

Bridgeview 26' centre cabin...

IMG_9607.jpg

Cope Pachena Point walk around...

1000014734.png

Cope 26' Centre Console...

Hull+Features.jpeg

What else should I be looking at?

Capable and fun to fish out of are my primary goals. I want to be able to go offshore. I know I'm sacrificing some comfort, and overnighting or longer trips with machines like these. I guess I could always camp on deck.

I'll eventually have moorage but will want to tow for 1-2 trips a year. I realize I'll need a permit to tow these, all are 10'6" beam.

A part of me thinks I should look to a popular cabin type boat, a 25' Cope Quatsino or similar. But these walk around and centre consoles, with all that deck look like a blast to be out in.

What do you think?

Walk around or centre cabin. I’d look for something that keeps at least 4 people warm, dry and out of the sun. The centre console are good for a couple of hard core fishermen in my opinion. If you like fishing alone or with one other person like Willy Mitchell seems too than centre console.

They look great for fishing 4 plus rods, jigging or trolling. Wicked platforms for fishing rivers inlet too.

Three great choices. If doing long runs offshore I would go for centre cabin walk around. You can add heat and a back curtain if needed. Someone can lie down on a bench seat if need be.

I’m a huge fan of centre consoles but if you’re going to go with something that large and use it regularly I would highly suggest the walk around cab. Still gives you full fish ability but the heated cabin for long runs or to dry out is a game changer. Check out @bryce ‘s setup at gladiator sportfishing.

I’ve currently got a full cab 28 ft NWAC and am building a 24 ft CC with a similar console layout to that Walker. If I didn’t do a lot of large group trips in wet weather I would seriously consider something in between with the walk around cab.

I had a 21 ft center console back in 2008. I loved the boat but the weather beat the **** outta me. Also, the head was tight and not good for female usage. I ended up in a Grady 228G and love it. But, now want to go bigger.

It makes sense and you guys are right and are telling me what I know... I really really wanted to go CC, but I know a cabin makes sense and the walk around compromises a bit of both worlds.

Am I making a mistake looking at a walk around versus a full cabin for a personal boat? I realize full cabin is the more common/popular style.

Thanks for all your ideas.

Full cabin is great for the family or overnighting couple. With less fishing and more cruising in our future I think it is going to have the better resale. With the wide beam you might still be able to have a side door and the ability to walk out onto the bow easily from the helm? There are some glass models of cabin boats that have that.

If you fish with 4-6 people I think the walk around would be awesome. If it’s only 2-3 people you fish with and you want to enjoy some over nighters and cruising a traditional cabin might make more sense.

It makes sense and you guys are right and are telling me what I know... I really really wanted to go CC, but I know a cabin makes sense and the walk around compromises a bit of both worlds.

Am I making a mistake looking at a walk around versus a full cabin for a personal boat? I realize full cabin is the more common/popular style.

Thanks for all your ideas.
I can send you pictures or do a video walk through of mine if you want to see.. you loose out on sleeping but they are the ultimate fishing machines dry warm lots of storage I can seat 8 people in mine and could sleep 2 if I wanted to pretty easily

I bet few folks have actually had both in the PacNW. I had a Grady 282, which has so so seating for 4, sleeping really for 2, and barely enough to call it a walkaround (9’6” beam.

Then went to a Worldcat 290CC (center console, 9’6” beam). Seating for 2 under the hardtop. No sleeping. Amazing fish ability around the helm. But cold as a witch’s titty ALL year long. I even had a terrific custom set of eisenglads around the console. Wore float coats and thin wool gloves most mornings. 3 buddies slept in bean bags at the stern.

Then I started working with ACI and then Allied Boats. Check out my last 2 builds. Both are 30 x 10’ cats. They check a ton of boxes. Search WDLFBIO and Allied Wildcat on YouTube and you see some videos.

Both have loads of room to chase fish around the cabin. Sleeping for 2 in the cuddy. These are 30’, so cabin seating for 6. At 26’, you easily have seating for 4. Granted, the 10’ beam of my cats is actually roomier than the same in a mono, so we do get a little more room. But, if you’re doing a 10’6” beam, you should be good.

My vote is obviously for a walk around pilot house.

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpeg
    IMG_2892.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2666.jpeg
    IMG_2666.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2665.jpeg
    IMG_2665.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 68
Thinking of a beamy alloy 26' build. I'm torn...

Bridgeview 26' centre cabin...

View attachment 104325

Cope Pachena Point walk around...

View attachment 104324

Cope 26' Centre Console...

View attachment 104326

What else should I be looking at?

Capable and fun to fish out of are my primary goals. I want to be able to go offshore. I know I'm sacrificing some comfort, and overnighting or longer trips with machines like these. I guess I could always camp on deck.

I'll eventually have moorage but will want to tow for 1-2 trips a year. I realize I'll need a permit to tow these, all are 10'6" beam.

A part of me thinks I should look to a popular cabin type boat, a 25' Cope Quatsino or similar. But these walk around and centre consoles, with all that deck look like a blast to be out in.

What do you think?
I think once you price out these builds you will realize that if you are spending $250k+/- on a boat, you will probably want to use it in the rain.

Do a charter out of Qualicum Rivers and book their 26 Cope to see how it fits for you.

View attachment 104350View attachment 104349
I've definitely deep dived their FB images and other COPE Pachena builds to get a good look online but will reach out.

One thing I'm confused about though...

COPE says 350 HP on their 26' Pachena hulls and 500 HP on their 26' CC but they say it's the same hull... What's the diff? Then you have BV with 600 HP max...

I can send you pictures or do a video walk through of mine if you want to see.. you loose out on sleeping but they are the ultimate fishing machines dry warm lots of storage I can seat 8 people in mine and could sleep 2 if I wanted to pretty easily
That would be great. Whatever works for you. Where is your boat?

I bet few folks have actually had both in the PacNW. I had a Grady 282, which has so so seating for 4, sleeping really for 2, and barely enough to call it a walkaround (9’6” beam.

Then went to a Worldcat 290CC (center console, 9’6” beam). Seating for 2 under the hardtop. No sleeping. Amazing fish ability around the helm. But cold as a witch’s titty ALL year long. I even had a terrific custom set of eisenglads around the console. Wore float coats and thin wool gloves most mornings. 3 buddies slept in bean bags at the stern.

Then I started working with ACI and then Allied Boats. Check out my last 2 builds. Both are 30 x 10’ cats. They check a ton of boxes. Search WDLFBIO and Allied Wildcat on YouTube and you see some videos.

Both have loads of room to chase fish around the cabin. Sleeping for 2 in the cuddy. These are 30’, so cabin seating for 6. At 26’, you easily have seating for 4. Granted, the 10’ beam of my cats is actually roomier than the same in a mono, so we do get a little more room. But, if you’re doing a 10’6” beam, you should be good.

My vote is obviously for a walk around pilot house.
That's thing is a beast! Wow... Thanks for the vote!

I think once you price out these builds you will realize that if you are spending $250k+/- on a boat, you will probably want to use it in the rain.
I mean, I can handle the rain... no bad weather only bad clothes, right?!

But I get it... it might get old... That said summers have been great, and I have these dreams with the open CC experience... and I'm pretty hardy for weather... that said I'm looking for a year round machine and time in the water... a cabin will probably make it...

Plus I have an idea to build my own boat... I've got a AC/DC mig/tig machine and maybe a CC project down the road would be fun... get a Cope 22 cut out or something.

I've definitely deep dived their FB images and other COPE Pachena builds to get a good look online but will reach out.

One thing I'm confused about though...

COPE says 350 HP on their 26' Pachena hulls and 500 HP on their 26' CC but they say it's the same hull... What's the diff? Then you have BV with 600 HP max...
I would do a quick call or email to Bruce at Cope if he is still involved and ask them.

Back