commander 30 versus 26 and few questions

matt mcd

HI,
Followed a few commander 26 and 30 threads and have a few questions plz.
My wife and I chartered a commander 30 in 2021 and spent a week around desolation sound, It had twin volvo diesels,did 32knotts max speed. We had a great time and are hooked!
commander 30 versus commander 26 seems like a big price difference for the listings I see
I had an idea to buy a commander 26 and re power for reliability sake
diesels seem the most reliable, cheapest to run but prohibitive to buy new and repower

I like the fact the 26 is trailerable, aside from the 4 feet of interior space missing( the couch on the 30) is the 26 sleeping area the same size? (the missus and I are 6' each), galleys look the same? I see cockpits are smaller and command bridge but its really just the wife and I no kids, friends can buy their own boat LOL
!
looking at older 26's, lots of talk about podding them, for the dual outboard set up how do you get hot water? Alternators the same output I/O versus OB?
new 250hp mercruisers with bravo 3(32k) or even alpha 1(26k) legs are cheaper than comparable mercury 250hp OB(38k)
how about fuel and mtce costs, I/O versus OB?
what top speed would dual 250hp produce( i think fast ?as the 26 is a lot lighter ,ive looked at the specs for both sizes)
Finally would the factory fuel tank in a 26 be enough for cruising, id like to go farther(Broughtons etc , eventually to Alaska when we are experienced enough, or is that crazy in this size a boat, im aware it depends on sea conditions)

New to this class of boat any input appreciated thanks

HI,
Followed a few commander 26 and 30 threads and have a few questions plz.
My wife and I chartered a commander 30 in 2021 and spent a week around desolation sound, It had twin volvo diesels,did 32knotts max speed. We had a great time and are hooked!
commander 30 versus commander 26 seems like a big price difference for the listings I see
I had an idea to buy a commander 26 and re power for reliability sake
diesels seem the most reliable, cheapest to run but prohibitive to buy new and repower

I like the fact the 26 is trailerable, aside from the 4 feet of interior space missing( the couch on the 30) is the 26 sleeping area the same size? (the missus and I are 6' each), galleys look the same? I see cockpits are smaller and command bridge but its really just the wife and I no kids, friends can buy their own boat LOL
!
looking at older 26's, lots of talk about podding them, for the dual outboard set up how do you get hot water? Alternators the same output I/O versus OB?
new 250hp mercruisers with bravo 3(32k) or even alpha 1(26k) legs are cheaper than comparable mercury 250hp OB(38k)
how about fuel and mtce costs, I/O versus OB?
what top speed would dual 250hp produce( i think fast ?as the 26 is a lot lighter ,ive looked at the specs for both sizes)
Finally would the factory fuel tank in a 26 be enough for cruising, id like to go farther(Broughtons etc , eventually to Alaska when we are experienced enough, or is that crazy in this size a boat, im aware it depends on sea conditions)

New to this class of boat any input appreciated thanks
Who did you charter the commander with? Finding the boat with the newest most reliable power is likely the way to go. Repowering is going to be very expensive and it is harder and harder to find good technicians. Mercruiser trained technicians are few and far between unfortunately.

If you repower with outboards which will cost you close to 100-150k so many extra costs and options w dual stations? You can use hot water on demand tankless propane/diesel, 12/120v shore power tank or generator powered or possibly lithium.

The quoted range of the 26 with gas 150miles is a little short of what you would want to cruise to Alaska 200miles, but you could get fuel bladder if needed. For the 30 you would want diesels for long range cruising.

I'd put up a wanted ad once you figure out the combo you really want and can afford. I can't see perfect Alaska cruiser being much less than 100k for the 26 and 200k for the 30. Budget 10-15% on maintenance every year if she's in good shape and you do some of the work yourself?

I've not been in a 26, but I've got a podded 30' with a pair of 350 Verados, it does about 45 knots if I need it to (that's way toouch boat for that speed). It cruises happily at about 25 k it's and has a com ones burn rate at that speed of about 68 L/H.
Plus you get that whole engine bay as storage now as well.

I've not been in a 26, but I've got a podded 30' with a pair of 350 Verados, it does about 45 knots if I need it to (that's way toouch boat for that speed). It cruises happily at about 25 k it's and has a com ones burn rate at that speed of about 68 L/H.
Plus you get that whole engine bay as storage now as well.
What props are you running?

for the dual outboard set up how do you get hot water?
if it has a generator its easy get a on demand hot water tank thats 110 Volt and plumb it in i did that on my hourston as I use the shore power easy to do amazon has a bunch some bigger some small id go bigger for 2 people to showere only takes about 15 mins and water is hot again.

Commander 30 with diesel engines sounds like the boat you’re after if you have the budget. That would be much better equipped to eventually cruise up the bc coastline

As mentioned by others, your budget is the biggest question when looking at the 26 vs the 30. After that comes your expectations - how much amenity do you want/need? And where do you want to go? What a wonderful dilemma to have!

My wife and I cruise the Broughtons about 10 days at a time in a 23 that we trailer from Victoria. Diesel engine and stove. The diesel duoprop has double the range of the original gas single prop. No shower, but we need fuel, ice or water as often as we need a shower, and there marinas for all those things. On a trailer the west coast of the Island is easy - Barkley, Clayoquot, Nootka, Esperanza and Quatsino.

Central Coast to me is less a matter of the boat than the crew, and your ability to wait for weather windows. Either the 26 or the 30 will make that crossing easier than some crew will. My daughter gets green, so we haven't gone to the Central Coast for 25 years.

thanks for the input, definitely more the 26 for budget but I guess trying to understand the sacrifice versus the 30 in terms of room and range

It should be possible to get pretty good range numbers from Commander or Canmar [who sell a lot]. The room and amenities is more subjective. With my current set-up and priorities, I'd go to a 26 Hourston or Commander, which is still trailerable - not the 30.

But that's me.

DescriptionMetric MeasureImperial MeasureU.S. Measure
Centre line length7.85 meters25’9″25’9″
Length overall8.22 meters27’11”27’11”
Beam3.09 meters10’2″10’2″
Height above the water line2.74 meters9’0″9’0″
Height overall3.21 meters10’6.1/2″10’6.1/2″
Approximate weight3039 kgms.8,000 lbs.8,000 lbs.
Fuel Capacity481 litres106 galls.127 galls.
Fresh Water Capacity151 litres33.3 galls.40 galls

30 ( not exactly trailerable. Wide load special permit with chase car required )

DescriptionMetric MeasureImperial MeasureU.S. Measure
Centre line length9.06 meters29’9″29’9″
Length overall9.47 meters31’1″31’1″
Beam3.63 meters11’11”11’11”
Height above the water line3.13 meters10’3″10’3″
Height overall3.69 meters12’1.1/4″12’1.1/4″
Approximate weight4,626 kgms.12,000 lbs.12,000 lbs.
Fuel Capacity745 litres164 galls.197 galls.
Fresh Water Capacity265 litres58.3 galls.70 galls.

Great info -- now we need approximate fuel burn at speed to get a range number. I don't think the ranges will be that different with the extra 4000 lbs in the 30.

So to get GPH approx information we need engine model, and or comments from owners with set cruising speeds with RPM

Or reference this, however there are a few different versions of the D4, which I believe was standard equipment on the commanders. However it really depends on the captain, prop selection and the use of trim tabs as well.

Last edited:
Who did you charter the commander with? Finding the boat with the newest most reliable power is likely the way to go. Repowering is going to be very expensive and it is harder and harder to find good technicians. Mercruiser trained technicians are few and far between unfortunately.

If you repower with outboards which will cost you close to 100-150k so many extra costs and options w dual stations? You can use hot water on demand tankless propane/diesel, 12/120v shore power tank or generator powered or possibly lithium.

The quoted range of the 26 with gas 150miles is a little short of what you would want to cruise to Alaska 200miles, but you could get fuel bladder if needed. For the 30 you would want diesels for long range cruising.

I'd put up a wanted ad once you figure out the combo you really want and can afford. I can't see perfect Alaska cruiser being much less than 100k for the 26 and 200k for the 30. Budget 10-15% on maintenance every year if she's in good shape and you do some of the work yourself?
great advice cheers
We chartered with desolation sound yacht charters(comox), great experience, excellent boat, not available for charter anymore on their site

Check out the thread "What fuel economy are you getting?"

Quoting Sir Reel: [Rain City had similar numbers]
Commander 30, 15,000 pounds, Twin Volvo D4 260hp. I have Commander friends that have the single Volvo D6 370 HP or smaller horsepower D4's and they get worse performance than the 260's.
So in this particular boat twins and more hp is more economical. 2900 rpm, 33 mph, 14 GPH and 2.37 MPG is my best economy. Fully loaded or light does not really seem to change.
As No Luck said the Diesels have a fairly flat fuel consumption to RPM and there is a wide range of cruise speeds. Even at full throttle and 42 mph I am only burning 22 GPH and 78% of my best fuel mileage.

14 gph @ 33 mph on 197 gallon tank would give 460 miles on diesel - wow!

Thunder21 said
26’x 10’2” Commander with twin 200 Suzuki’s gets its best economy at around 27-28MPH, 4200 rpm, 2.25MPG. I run anywhere in between 26 and 36 MPH and the worst I’ve seen is around 1.7-1.8MPG.

2.25mpg x 127 gal = 285 miles on gas @ 4200

The Volvo calculator above says a D4-300 uses 10.6 gph @ 3000 rpm. A D4-260 uses 9 @ 3000. But what's the speed?

My D3-200 uses 6.5-7 gph @ 3000-3300 @ 24-26 mph but its only pushing 6500 lbs.

Last edited:
thanks for the input, definitely more the 26 for budget but I guess trying to understand the sacrifice versus the 30 in terms of room and range
I have a 26’ with twin 200 outboards. I have been all over with it. French creek to desolation area a few times, French creek to Port Hardy, then rivers inlet and up to Hakai pass twice in the last 4 years. For range , I get 2 miles per gallon roughly at 28-30mph. I find the range fine for the areas I’ve been. There is a huge difference between the space in a 26 and a 30 but there is also a huge difference in cost to own. In my opinion you have to be pretty wealthy to comfortably own and maintain a 30’Commander. Send me a message if you want anymore info.

I have a 26’ with twin 200 outboards. I have been all over with it. French creek to desolation area a few times, French creek to Port Hardy, then rivers inlet and up to Hakai pass twice in the last 4 years. For range , I get 2 miles per gallon roughly at 28-30mph. I find the range fine for the areas I’ve been. There is a huge difference between the space in a 26 and a 30 but there is also a huge difference in cost to own. In my opinion you have to be pretty wealthy to comfortably own and maintain a 30’Commander. Send me a message if you want anymore info.
Not wealthy, just good credit and a massive mortgage with no real plan (or means) to ever pay it off.

As a note for efficiency;

Don't use the D4-300 or the D6-400 for comparing against older stuff. Use the D4-260 and the D6-370.

You cannot compare the D4-300 or the D6-400 against the lower output models. These larger output models have more inter-cooling/pre-cooling which lets them eke out more power per gallon. Similar to how you cannot compare the late model L6-350 Verado against the L6-250 and L6-300.

Less need to throw in raw fuel to cool the incoming charge with the D4-300, D6-400, L6-350. Already pre-cooled beyond the previous models.

Rain city , im aware you own a 30. ever been on a 26 ? can you speak to the galley, V birth and head size comparisons please?
cheers
I looked at a 26 before I bought the 30. Can't really compare the two to be honest. The biggest issue I had with the 26 is how small the door is and how big the step down is into the cabin. You have to open the hatch or it's near impossible to get in. In the 30 you can sneak under the hatch in a pinch. And it's one small step in. The command bridge in the 26 is tiny, hardly any useable space beyond the helm. The biggest difference though is the beam. It's all about the beam. But I never planned on towing so it was a no brainer for me. Wanting to tow the boat means you have to sacrifice something.

Back