Catching Bait

9: Yes, I've checked out the salmon university website in the past. I used their herring brine formula (minus the oil scent) for my anchovies last year and had excellent results. Best year ever!

cs: I agree that in the salmon university video clip it looks as if the cut-plug is wobbling in the worst way. I always try for a tight roll on all trolled baits, a tight spriral almost like a drill bit. I've used a wire in anchovy before, but I may have to try the toothpick trick you mentioned for plugs.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Have to agree with you guys, heres another point whats with the trailing hook not in the herring I am sure you would miss alot of "hits" where that hook is or snag alot in the side of the salmon in the head.

Wolf

Wolf: I'm not sure about the trail hook loose on a cut-plug (because I hardly use plugs), but what about with anchovies? Of course on a plug you could set a second hook in the herring if you wanted to, but such is not the case with anchovy as far as I know.

My buddy uses a second loose hook with anchovies whereas I use one treble hook only. However, we seem to be equally successful fishing together in my boat. How many hooks do you use when trolling anchovies? How many hooks do most folks tend to use for anchovies, and which way makes more sense? In theory, one could argue (like my buddy does) that two hooks should catch more fish than one hook?

For next season I have actually tied up a few anchovy teaser heads with the second trail hook (a small single octopus, 2/0) to see if the extra hook makes any difference. I wonder what sort of second hook might work best?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Me personally I use 1 big treble hook and seem to do just fine some guys i know use a trailing treble usually a size 4 but they use the huge chovies but with being barbless now a smaller hook isnt as effective as before,in the old days i would run a tandum set up of 2 small trebles. The best thing is to make sure your hooks are sharp most guides i know use hooks made by VMC they are extremely sharp and they last long because they dont rust and by the time its dull we throw them away.
Good Luck Wolf

Back