Left... Right ... or Ambidextrous

Your strong arm (as in your right if you are right handed) should control the rod.
The opposite is for reeling.
The Brits figured this all out a hell of a long time ago.

Although I can do either, I greatly prefer the proper way to work the rod & reel - left on the reel that is.

Cheers,
Nog
I'm left-handed in most respects (writing, golfing, batting, throwing, kicking, use of tools), but find it more natural to hold rod with left hand and reel with right. I thought we generally had a "strength" hand and a "skill" hand? Although for me, it's the left in both cases, lol.

Last edited:
I'm left-handed in most respects (writing, golfing, batting, throwing, kicking, use of tools), but find it more natural to hold rod with left hand and reel with right. I thought we generally had a "strength" hand and a "skill" hand? Although for me, it's the left in both cases, lol.
and thats how it should be for a lefty ......lol rod in there strong arm, but what where getting at is most people are right handed but try control the rod with left..... other silly thing is when they come across a left wind reel set up most still mess up as they for some strange reason still try wind in clockwise on the left so end up letting line out go figure.....lol .......

and thats how it should be for a lefty ......lol rod in there strong arm, but what where getting at is most people are right handed but try control the rod with left..... other silly thing is when they come across a left wind reel set up most still mess up as they for some strange reason still try wind in clockwise on the left so end up letting line out go figure.....lol .......
Pretty sure I'd make the same mistake with a lefty reel!

For fishing I am ambidextrous, especially for moochers and if my arm gets tired I just turn the rod upside down and switch hands Anyone remember this previous discussion which has a lot of info on the same subject?

Your strong arm (as in your right if you are right handed) should control the rod.
The opposite is for reeling.
The Brits figured this all out a hell of a long time ago.

Although I can do either, I greatly prefer the proper way to work the rod & reel - left on the reel that is.

Cheers,
Nog
I agree with Nog's explanation. I'm left handed and cast left so prefer to reel with my right on casting setups. I also prefer to reel right on mooching reels and conventional/level wind reels (holding the rod in my left hand).
I take out mostly right handed people on my boat, most prefer to reel everything (mooching, conventional, and level wind) with there right hand except when casting spinning reels they prefer to reel left).
...Rob

I'm a Lefty for everything except reeling. I had to learn to do it right handed as a kid,because everything I used was set up for a right hand, and have been doing it for so long it feels wrong to do it any other way.
Me too. I’m so left handed that I can’t play baseball because I catch and throw with the same hand. Well I can, but I play like a girl

Back