Left... Right ... or Ambidextrous

John Ingram

The few times that I ever get out trolling I use my own gear 99% of the time. The trolling reels that I use have all been switched over to
LEFT hand retrieve.... Just the way I feel most comfortable with a trolling or any other reel. Sometimes when I first let the captain or fishing buddy
know what way I fish they sorta give a a sour look and sorta say under their breath ....ooooh another one that can't fish properly
I have used other's gear with right hand retrieve and am ok with it and can land a fish that way, so I guess I'm what's called ambidextrous.
What do other's feel about their reel setup's and any stories concerning how they have been with them.
Inquiring minds wanna know.

I'm weird like you and reel with my left, hold the rod in my right. I do it river fishing as well. I have one good reason- I grew up trolling big interior lakes up around PG. When running the kicker on a tinny, I sit facing rhe port side, left hand on the tiller. When fighting a fish, it is easier to reel with the left and hold the rod in the right, and adjust the tiller or gear shift with the left as required. Otherwise, I'm switching hands on the rod, or reaching across my chest with the right to manage the tiller.

I'm weird like you and reel with my left, hold the rod in my right. I do it river fishing as well. I have one good reason- I grew up trolling big interior lakes up around PG. When running the kicker on a tinny, I sit facing rhe port side, left hand on the tiller. When fighting a fish, it is easier to reel with the left and hold the rod in the right, and adjust the tiller or gear shift with the left as required. Otherwise, I'm switching hands on the rod, or reaching across my chest with the right to manage the tiller.
That makes perfect sense if you were raised to have to do that on a tin boat. It's just odd that so many others retrieve right handed.
Maybe it's just the way most reels come new in the box. and most people just set them up that way and go with it.

I prefer my mooching reels left handed, but can use a righty with minimal grief and my bottom rods/reels are set to reel with the right so I guess I'm an ambi-turner...

My preference for using my left to reel are twofold: 1) also grew up casting a fly rod with my right hand and reeling with my left; and 2) my dad is left handed so learned some things from him "backwards" (shooting a rifle is the other, luckily I'm left-eye dominant).

The other advantage for those with OCD tendencies is that the port rod with the left-handed reel isn't backwards in the rod holder...

I do find it funny when friends grab my rod and complain that the fish isn't coming in, then I look down and see that they are reeling backwards and letting out line.

I'm left handed and used to have a left handed reel or two on the boat. Problem is -- when we are trolling, whoever is closest is often the one who needs to grab whatever rod has gone off and set the hook. I'm often at the helm and that would mean that someone else now was trying to reel in a left handed reel (and they usually sucked at that - sometimes even turning the rod upside down to get the handle on the "correct" side). So I just switched to all right hand reels. I can reel in right handed and it's easier when all the reels are the same on the boat.

Interesting. Fly fishing and spin casting I operate the rod with my right and the reel with my left.
Bait casting and trolling with knuckle busters or multiplier reels I operate the rod my left and the reel with my right.
My guess is that it depends on which takes more concentration the reel or the rod.

I'm a Lefty for everything except reeling. I had to learn to do it right handed as a kid,because everything I used was set up for a right hand, and have been doing it for so long it feels wrong to do it any other way.

I'm left handed and used to have a left handed reel or two on the boat. Problem is -- when we are trolling, whoever is closest is often the one who needs to grab whatever rod has gone off and set the hook. I'm often at the helm and that would mean that someone else now was trying to reel in a left handed reel (and they usually sucked at that - sometimes even turning the rod upside down to get the handle on the "correct" side). So I just switched to all right hand reels. I can reel in right handed and it's easier when all the reels are the same on the boat.
Good point. I just picked up a batch of used moochers that I was going to switch over to left hand retrieve. Might rethink that based on this point. I can reel right fine, do it on charter or rental gear all the time. Just prefer left.

said this before many times most people are right handed so strong arm should be the one holding the rod think fly casting using a hammer etc ...
the winding in hand, then should be the left ....
stupid USA ideas having to reinvent bit like driving LHD rhd strong arm on the wheel change gears with the left

now lets get the pop corn out .....lol

I'm right handed and right hand retrieve. To me it's more like hand sawing a board. Left hand holds the board (the rod), right hand is moving and sawing (retrieving). When I'm holding and stirring a pot my left hand is holding and my right hand is stirring. My right hand is the more comfortable hand doing the work. When I fly fish I'm casting right handed and holding the line in my left hand. I move the rod to the left hand when a fish is on. It doesn't look like Brad Pitt in "A River Runs Through It" but it's more easier for me and I generally do things better when they are easier.

Fly fishing I cast right and left reel with my right
Centerpin and baitcast cast left reel right
Mooching reels right handed
Spinning reels cast right or left and reel with my left
Bit of a cluster

Fly fishing I cast right and left reel with my right
Centerpin and baitcast cast left reel right
Mooching reels right handed
Spinning reels cast right or left and reel with my left
Bit of a cluster
Some new reels just can't be reversed. I think the older Tyee Mooching reels were like this... That may have changed with their newer models.
The old peetz reel are always right retrieve, but easily converted to left. I was looking at getting a Penn Squale level wind reel but most of them are right handed. I would have to make a special order for one of those.... I guess us lefty's are just an odd ball bunch.

I grew up in the States and I had never seen anyone reel with their right hand until I moved to BC. It's weird to me. I mean, I've had to do it, and it's been fine, but it doesn't feel comfortable.

Ambidextrous,, have numerous reels in both right and left crank just depends on style of reel and game fish we are after.

Left hand mooching reels on port. Right hand mooching reels on starboard. If bringing the rod tip forward sideways, like getting around the downrigger, the rod will already be in the forward hand and the back hand is free to net. Small boat problems. It works fine either way, but I always notice a difference if I don't setup that way. It does confuse my fishing partners

Your strong arm (as in your right if you are right handed) should control the rod.
The opposite is for reeling.
The Brits figured this all out a hell of a long time ago.

Although I can do either, I greatly prefer the proper way to work the rod & reel - left on the reel that is.

Cheers,
Nog

Back