Cylinder vs round weights for bottom fishing / drop-shot rig

the force

Crew Member
I tried a search but didn't find much on this topic. I'm in the process of putting together a bottom fish kit for a much anticipated trip to the outside (WH) and see a few cylinder weights on Pacific Net and Twine site. It appears round weights are the most popular for halibut and ling fishing, however I am curious why cylindrical weights aren't more popular...perhaps I'm missing the physics or maybe just a supply and demand thing? In my mind cylinder weights are much less prone to snags, they are the more popular shape for freshwater the 'drop-shot' rig.

Drop-shotting (essentially a 3-way rig) is one of the tools I'd like to have in my kit as; 1) easier to maintain bottom contact and more time in the strike zone when drifting pinnacles/aggressive structure; 2) I can use a weightless plastic/hoochie/bait which I hope helps with presentation/hook-up rate 3) I am not crazy about loosing $15 jigs if fishing unfamiliar/snaggy structure.

Are there any cons I'm missing or is this anyone's favorite technique? Looking forward to some discussion and perspectives!

Last edited:
People think round balls don't get hung up in rocks as easily my own experience is mixed I've lost as many 'net weights' from PN&T as round balls while bashing bottom now I just use the cheapest available.

If you're going to use an 'empty hootchie' put some scent on it - some prefer fish skin though.

Here is Chat GPT's answer...

When bottom fishing around rocky structure, both round weights and cylindrical weights can be effective, depending on the specific situation and personal preference.

Round weights tend to roll more easily along the rocky bottom and can be effective at keeping bait in the strike zone. They can also help reduce the risk of getting snagged or hung up on rocky structure. However, round weights can also be more easily affected by currents and wind, which can make it more difficult to maintain your desired position.

Cylindrical weights, on the other hand, tend to have less movement along the bottom and can provide more stability in windy or strong current conditions. They can also be more effective at holding bottom in areas with fast-moving water. However, cylindrical weights can increase the risk of getting snagged or hung up on rocky structure due to their shape.

Ultimately, the choice between round weights and cylindrical weights will depend on a variety of factors, including the specific conditions you are fishing in, the type of bait you are using, and your personal preference. It is a good idea to experiment with both types of weights to determine which works best for your specific situation. Additionally, it is important to always be aware of your surroundings when fishing around rocky structure and to take precautions to avoid getting snagged or hung up.

20220718_070300.jpg
Save your TP rolls and fill them with cement/sand mixture. Bend in a SS bicycle spoke. Tapered about 6 Oz, cylinder up to 10.

My uncle used soup cans full of cement in Brentwood back in the day when the weight release mechanisms were popular. Pre downrigger

CR Greg
Us to, and also hunks of scrap iron and steel, pieces of railway rails etc. on riggers. We were fishing out of Brentwood on a 16 foot clinker with a 10 horse B&S and no battery or depth sounder, just a chart and blue downriggers. We mapped the bottom in our minds from the times we got hung up, dragged bottom or lost weights and just knew when to raise up or when it was safe to drop down. Not an ideal system hence using anything as a weight that was cheap. Of course in those days you could get a 10 lb round lead ball for 5 to 10 dollars, but that was a fair bit of money then

We also used heavy mono as a breakaway so as not to lose cable or rigger terminal gear and get some more scrap metal on and down fast.

Last edited:
Here is Chat GPT's answer...

When bottom fishing around rocky structure, both round weights and cylindrical weights can be effective, depending on the specific situation and personal preference.

Round weights tend to roll more easily along the rocky bottom and can be effective at keeping bait in the strike zone. They can also help reduce the risk of getting snagged or hung up on rocky structure. However, round weights can also be more easily affected by currents and wind, which can make it more difficult to maintain your desired position.

Cylindrical weights, on the other hand, tend to have less movement along the bottom and can provide more stability in windy or strong current conditions. They can also be more effective at holding bottom in areas with fast-moving water. However, cylindrical weights can increase the risk of getting snagged or hung up on rocky structure due to their shape.

Ultimately, the choice between round weights and cylindrical weights will depend on a variety of factors, including the specific conditions you are fishing in, the type of bait you are using, and your personal preference. It is a good idea to experiment with both types of weights to determine which works best for your specific situation. Additionally, it is important to always be aware of your surroundings when fishing around rocky structure and to take precautions to avoid getting snagged or hung up.
Chat GPT, now we know where @Rain City gets all his intel! It’s not a terrible answer, however I don’t agree with round weights rolling along the bottom and getting snagged less.

Some good ingenuity from the others, yes always cheaper ways to do it. I have used railroad spikes zip tied to a swivel for sturgeon…worked well and would break loose on snags or big fish. I might actually throw a few in for ling fishing.

I am overthinking this, will go by price primarily though def going to try some cylinders (and become friends with fisher_dude 🤩) haha.

Back