Buying a new vehicle the easy way

Really at the end of the the day your negoitating the difference of trade in and vehicle. Thats the number thats left over that i deal with. They can fudge the numbers all they want to make you happy on paper

That is not how it works in my method. I deliberately withhold discussion of trade in and method of payment, requiring dealers to quote me their all in price so I get a clear direct comparison without the water being muddied by different pricing on trade vehicle, variable lease or finance rates etc. Doesn't matter to me what the dealer wants to charge for PDI or "Documentation", as long as it's included in their bottom line price. You get an unobscured apples to apples assessment of overall price because the precise build of the vehicle is already in your specs.

Easy enough to look up the current lease and finance rates and calculate your monthly payments if you're leaning that way. Have that information already sorted out before the request for quotes goes out, it's not going to change from one dealer to another within the same automaker network (can be a factor in the decision of which brand or car or truck you decide on though).

That is not how it works in my method. I deliberately withhold discussion of trade in and method of payment, requiring dealers to quote me their all in price so I get a clear direct comparison without the water being muddied by different pricing on trade vehicle, variable lease or finance rates etc. Doesn't matter to me what the dealer wants to charge for PDI or "Documentation", as long as it's included in their bottom line price. You get an unobscured apples to apples assessment of overall price because the precise build of the vehicle is already in your specs.

Easy enough to look up the current lease and finance rates and calculate your monthly payments if you're leaning that way. Have that information already sorted out before the request for quotes goes out, it's not going to change from one dealer to another within the same automaker network (can be a factor in the decision of which brand or car or truck you decide on though).

Nice to see one person really gets it!

Apples to apples. The price you pay needs to the final quoted to you price....plus taxes. By law, for non businesses, they cannot add doc fees, etc on, only tax.

If you think that something is wrong and you are not a business, you can contact Vehicles Sales Authority who looks after any dealer/consumer issues.

Yes

Yes but 35k at one dealer could be the same as 30k at another on paper for the same vehicle. At the end of the day if your trading in youd be paying the same if one gives you xx for a trade and charges the fees etc on the 30k vehicle as the other dealer at 35k. All just numbers on paper

Ah but now you know definitely what the full sale price is and can think things through clearly in your own time. A lot better than the shell game in the sales guys office where they change multiple variables at once. "What monthly payment are you looking for?"

Ah but now you know definitely what the full sale price is and can think things through clearly in your own time. A lot better than the shell game in the sales guys office where they change multiple variables at once. "What monthly payment are you looking for?"
I literally laughed out loud at my guy when he asked me that question...Sad that to most consumers it's all that matters.

Everyone over thinks this way too much!

Do you homework like any other purchase....make you deal and be happy....there will always be someone who tells you they "got it cheaper" ;)

In our current times, most retail customers ARE just looking for the low payment, whether it be a lease or purchase....this goes along with their boat payment, wife's car payment, quad payment etc....

For you hunters, look at all the rigs heading north....$80K truck, $40K trailer, $20K quads and access....not many own these! o_O

Everyone over thinks this way too much!

Do you homework like any other purchase....make you deal and be happy....there will always be someone who tells you they "got it cheaper" ;)

In our current times, most retail customers ARE just looking for the low payment, whether it be a lease or purchase....this goes along with their boat payment, wife's car payment, quad payment etc....

For you hunters, look at all the rigs heading north....$80K truck, $40K trailer, $20K quads and access....not many own these! o_O
Man I just saw a used SRW F350 Platinum listed for 80+k, makes me feel ok about what I paid for my old XLT. Anyone buy a great heated seat cover? That's more in my covid budget, heated/cooled/massage seat for me!

What I'm struggling with is dealers who list used cars at the same price as new or higher these days. Victoria dealers know we all have the google? Rhetorical. Have to try and convince my wife to keep away from the Acura/Honda, 1500lb towing capacity on the RDX and CRV. Was hoping to avoid a Limited Rav4 but if that's what it takes to get a capable vehicle, I may have to suck it up!

Man I just saw a used SRW F350 Platinum listed for 80+k, makes me feel ok about what I paid for my old XLT. Anyone buy a great heated seat cover? That's more in my covid budget, heated/cooled/massage seat for me!

What I'm struggling with is dealers who list used cars at the same price as new or higher these days. Victoria dealers know we all have the google? Rhetorical. Have to try and convince my wife to keep away from the Acura/Honda, 1500lb towing capacity on the RDX and CRV. Was hoping to avoid a Limited Rav4 but if that's what it takes to get a capable vehicle, I may have to suck it up!
Who cares?

One of our daughters is on the Island. She is in the Navy and a pretty tough nut! (damn proud of her!)….anyways, she wanted a Tacoma. She asked me what she needed to know and how to deal with salesmen....so I told her.

She passed on several as she thought they were $1K or more over priced, with a little help from me, she finally found her truck and got a good deal!

If you don't like the price, don't buy it! Just remember the guy behind you might think it is a good deal and buy it....

Not too often does a vehicle last more than 45 days on a lot.

We have clients putting deposits on vehicles over the phone from all corners of the province.....vehicles are hard to find, except for some imports.

What the guys at my work have been doing is buying the 80k fleet trucks my company sends to Auction. They can usually pick them up for 6-8k before they get sent to auction and they will be about 5-7 years old with 140-160k on them.

get the ones the office staff use that all they have been used for is to and from work with all regular servicing. Guys at work have owned them for years after and all they have done is maybe put new spark plugs in them. That’s like 1k a year for a truck with how much life they still have left in them.

80k new truck you would have to use for 80 years to get that same value. Realistically most people will probably use that new truck for 20 years or less. So that’s 4K a year and that’s pending you bought it out right with cash at the time.

What the guys at my work have been doing is buying the 80k fleet trucks my company sends to Auction. They can usually pick them up for 6-8k before they get sent to auction and they will be about 5-7 years old with 140-160k on them.

get the ones the office staff use that all they have been used for is to and from work with all regular servicing. Guys at work have owned them for years after and all they have done is maybe put new spark plugs in them. That’s like 1k a year for a truck with how much life they still have left in them.

80k new truck you would have to use for 80 years to get that same value. Realistically most people will probably use that new truck for 20 years or less. So that’s 4K a year and that’s pending you bought it out right with cash at the time.

I am thinking you must have only a couple driven by office staff......

$80K truck is a very nice truck. To be able to buy them for $6-$8K when 5-7 years old means these things have been run into the ground/abused/idled for long periods or used in Sulphur areas..... mining?

No idea they don't come up to often, usually a mangers truck or ones that are low mileage but older and our company has leased to own them. we don't end up with a lot of owned tucks as they usually get swapped for new leases. Don't no all the details of what goes on or why we end up owning some. Just know that sometimes we end up owning them and then a manger wants a new one and they either get sent down the ladder for an employee to use or they get sent to Auction or they get some guy to come and appraise them at wholesale and sold to employees for deal.

Car guy here, as in no reason to own a truck. When I need a pickup or van a few times a year I just rent one.

I stopped buying new 24 years ago and started buying good used cars. I negotiate prices for a living so long ago I lost any excitement or love in the car buying experience. (I enjoy making my colonoscopy appointments much, much more. than sitting in a car salesperson's office). I never sit down to buy a car and this last time I bought my car via email.

It take me 12-18 month to buy a vehicle because I don't care that much anymore and I buy used from a dealership. I am tall 6'4" and I want to be comfortable. I learned my lesson about reliability with GM, BMW, and Mercedes issues over the years and 19 years ago I bought my first used Lexus. I am on my third now. I don't care about exterior colour, I just want a light coloured interior so when I drop things in the car in the dark I can find them. I want a decent sized trunk and room for 4 people to be comfortable.

I only traded this time because I wanted to get all the old person safety features that are now available (auto stop for pedestrians and bicycles, cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring , etc.) I look for a 3-5 year old car that has a good service record, has been well cared for and has not been in an accident.

I commute in Vancouver and my last car a 2011 I had for 6.5 years and I was hit 7 times in it. All from the side or behind and all from the rear doors back. All were low speed hits and in every case the other driver was just driving into me or failing to stop. I drive about 10-12 K a year mostly in the city with the rest trips to Seattle.

The initial Depreciation on these luxury sedans is silly and the Lexus is just a nicer Toyota. I worked out the monthly cost for the car I just traded and when I took the time I owned it and divided that into the price I paid for it less the trade in value my monthly cost was 320.52, the Lexus before that was 356.19 /month. When I say monthly cost I always pay cash so the 4 box technique is wasted on me.

My new to me car is the same as my old one just newer and has AWD, the old person safety features and has a long wheelbase. The Previous owner paid 132K plus taxes. My cost was my old car and 38K including taxes. I expect to get 6-10 years out of this car.

The service department tipped me off to this car when it came in for presale service. The car was immaculate and had a full major service, new tires (Michelin ones as specified for the car), new brake rotors and pads all around.

Moral of the story treat the service guys with respect and kindness as you should do with everyone you meet, and if you take them donuts buy the good ones (not Tim's)

Of course I am not perfect - I always buy new motorcycles and ride them until they have zero value because of high mileage.

used Lexus.
I'm open to a used Lexus but their website is little difficult for me to navigate. What year did they add all the safety features you needed? Toyota added safety sense 2.0 in 2018. I guess I would be looking at the NX300 but not a fan of owning two turbo engines.....my F350 is enough.

Glad they got you through so many accidents. Wife getting rear ended is enough to make us be really selective on the next car.

I'm open to a used Lexus but their website is little difficult for me to navigate. What year did they add all the safety features you needed? Toyota added safety sense 2.0 in 2018. I guess I would be looking at the NX300 but not a fan of owning two turbo engines.....my F350 is enough.

Glad they got you through so many accidents. Wife getting rear ended is enough to make us be really selective on the next car.

For the LS 460 the 2015 -2017. I ended up with an L model (long wheelbase ) traded in my 2011 LS460 for it.

If I was buying a new Lexus today and could justify the poor gas mileage I would uy the GX 460 Full frame SUV.

My wife is trying to order/ buy a new Prius PHEV. It is an F'ing nightmare the ******** she is going through plus the being a woman factor.

I negotiate costs for a living and I would rather prep for a colonoscopy than endure the car buying process.

A lot of people in our office building drive Teslas and I can see why. The fixed price and they will come to your office garage and fix things.

I wish my wife would just buy the small Tesla SUV.

For the LS 460 the 2015 -2017. I ended up with an L model (long wheelbase ) traded in my 2011 LS460 for it.

If I was buying a new Lexus today and could justify the poor gas mileage I would uy the GX 460 Full frame SUV.

My wife is trying to order/ buy a new Prius PHEV. It is an F'ing nightmare the ******** she is going through plus the being a woman factor.

I negotiate costs for a living and I would rather prep for a colonoscopy than endure the car buying process.

A lot of people in our office building drive Teslas and I can see why. The fixed price and they will come to your office garage and fix things.

I wish my wife would just buy the small Tesla SUV.
Toyota is so anti electric sales won’t even take deposits. We bought an Acura RDX with all the safety features we wanted for 25k. Would have loved a plug in hybrid or a Tesla but don’t drive enough to justify it. Good luck on your wife’s purchase a couple good dealers on the island, if you need one.

EV platforms are not there yet DO NOT jump into the pool, I dont think most people truly understand how far behind we currently are for infrastructure and repair info, repair parts etc. Im a Service Manager for a local shop in Kelowna and I can tell you hands down we are no where close to being ready for EV and the tech is just NOT READY!! its not good enough, im sorry to say but im gonna say I suspect that itll be an easy 10 years + till we get even close to having a decent EV vehicle out there that can go 800-1000km on a charge and not go through battery's. Also for those of you wondering cost of replacement on those battery's is HUGE coin that more then likely will not be covered under warranty so be very aware.

EV platforms are not there yet DO NOT jump into the pool, I dont think most people truly understand how far behind we currently are for infrastructure and repair info, repair parts etc. Im a Service Manager for a local shop in Kelowna and I can tell you hands down we are no where close to being ready for EV and the tech is just NOT READY!! its not good enough, im sorry to say but im gonna say I suspect that itll be an easy 10 years + till we get even close to having a decent EV vehicle out there that can go 800-1000km on a charge and not go through battery's. Also for those of you wondering cost of replacement on those battery's is HUGE coin that more then likely will not be covered under warranty so be very aware.
Nah car's are disposable now. Just toss them away and get a new one. LOL.

I wouldn't be surprised if in five years when hydro is still trying to catch up with infrastructure upgrades, they bring on some other new technology. Hydrogen, or super efficient ICE models, little nuclear reactors, whatever. At the very least, they need to get some battery upgrades that aren't absolutely horrendous to mine for.

Although this thread is about buy new, if you have the ability and room, consider buying old, 25+ years old. Collector cars are for pleasure only and they are a great investment. We bought a 68 Firebird 5 years ago for $39,000 cad and was offered $75,000 usd last year. Decided to get it appraised and it came in at $125,000 cad. Much better than our investments. Life's too short to not have more toys. :)

Back