Buying a new vehicle the easy way

We've only bought 3 new vehicles in 36 years of marriage. '88 Mazda pick up 8k, 2003 Toyota Matrix for 21k, and then I was surprised by how much below the window sticker MRSP I got for my basic F150 4 years ago. I paid 36 and the sticker said 47k. Cash. I don't enjoy dickering and didn't have much time to research as I almost needed to push my old vehicle into the lot to see if they could take it off my hands in trade, so I needed a truck that day.
Will they always come down 15 -30% on MSRP? Wife needs a new small SUV. Maybe Rav4.
The undercoating and extended warranty pitch is another painful part of the process. We say no to that stuff.
We got one of those Rav 4 hybrids recently and am super impressed with it

This is a good time of the year to snag 2020s as the 2021s are inbound. The spring was hard on new car sales and the manufacturers will add trunk money to get those 2020s out of inventories. Financing could be attracting too.

I was in the market as my lease was up but I honestly couldn't make up my mind so I actually bought my car out. The only vehicle I was interested in is the new tacoma trd pro but I didn't want to wait around. The incentives dealers were throwing around on 2020s were awesome...except for the taco haha.

We used to have a Car Guy, a friend of Mrs Sly's since high school days. In the 90s we had a failed transmission in a vehicle bought new. Car Guy and the dealership left us high and dry, said it was out of their hands. I wrote a letter to Chrysler Canada explaining the situation and they reimbursed us in full. I've done some business with that dealership since then, no sense in allowing a bad incident to remove a useful option. But the Car Guy concept didn't work for us. Guess we didn't have the right guy.

Incentives....a great word, right?

Incentives are used to move inventory....if you have a hot vehicle to sell, the lower the incentive, new model year out, incentive, people are so use to truck incentives, they are always there, sometimes a little better.....

A question for all you learned people.....what is a good market you will pay on a $60,000 truck?

I have owned one new myself...…

But I bet I have drive 100+ new as a company vehicle (part of my "package")
I bought 2 brand new from Carter....an 80 Z28 and a 2007 Sierra 2500 w/Duramax diesel before this recent Rav4

I know it is different times right now, but when I was the outboard sales manager for the second big gest retailer is Mercury outboards in Canada, biggest being in Ontario, I knew we had the best price on the west coast, bar none. We had a deal for lodges and certified guides, but no other retailer, other than whatshisnuts in Ontario could beat my price.
The amount of people trying to grind me on the best price I knew was possible was outstanding.
I get that there are sales people as dumb as door knobs, but the 'general' public sucks!

Incentives....a great word, right?

Incentives are used to move inventory....if you have a hot vehicle to sell, the lower the incentive, new model year out, incentive, people are so use to truck incentives, they are always there, sometimes a little better.....

A question for all you learned people.....what is a good market you will pay on a $60,000 truck?

Surprised no one would comment on a fair mark up value?? :rolleyes:

Surprised no one would comment on a fair mark up value?? :rolleyes:
What is a good markup? you will pay on a $60,000 truck?

A nice local Ford dealer managed to con/vince my step brother into upgrading his under warranty F150 into a "new" 2020 and as a result he probably has $60,000 in interest and payments to go on a truck that will be well past the warranty period by the time it is paid off. Buyer beware and if my brother didn't have 4 kids to feed I wouldn't feel so sour about their tactics. I do believe dealers get squeezed on new car sales by the manufacturers and don't have great margins. Service is where they make all their money, but I would say most are ran poorly compared to a modern service model. Hopefully covid is changing the efficiency of the dealership service experience but I doubt it. Stand outside for service? How about online check in and text alerts?

Meanwhile I play the messaging game with dealership....just read the email/text I just sent you. No wonder people just buy a Tesla online!

1 new car 5 used trucks.

Like others, never owned a new vehicle. Never will. Trucks are built not bought? Can build exactly what you want, with all you want, more specific and capable for half the cost of a new one. But that's just me. I almost chocked when a buddy just bragged his new ride will be dam near $100K when he finally owns it.

HM

Like others, never owned a new vehicle. Never will. Trucks are built not bought? Can build exactly what you want, with all you want, more specific and capable for half the cost of a new one. But that's just me. I almost chocked when a buddy just bragged his new ride will be dam near $100K when he finally owns it.

HM

I don’t have that option. I put on between 50 - 60,000 k a year. So I go new every 5 years tops for me and they have to be replaced. But I do get a certain amount of mileage pay that pretty much covers the initial cost of the vehicle so it helps. The last 3 purchases I’ve been waiting until after the new year and go in and make a deal on a new but last years model. Usually save about 10 - 15 g’s off regular sticker price.

I don’t have that option. I put on between 50 - 60,000 k a year. So I go new every 5 years tops for me and they have to be replaced. But I do get a certain amount of mileage pay that pretty much covers the initial cost of the vehicle so it helps. The last 3 purchases I’ve been waiting until after the new year and go in and make a deal on a new but last years model. Usually save about 10 - 15 g’s off regular sticker price.

I think I am driving one of your old trucks. Bought it one year old with 80,000 k in 2004. Now close to 400,000 k and going well.
No idea where you northern (ish) Alberta and Peace boys are driving to all day and night.

I think I am driving one of your old trucks. Bought it one year old with 80,000 k in 2004. Now close to 400,000 k and going well.
No idea where you northern (ish) Alberta and Peace boys are driving to all day and night.

Gots to get that oil and gas out of the ground so all those people in the lower mainland can jump in their SUV’s and drive to the anti oil rallies ;) ;)

Back