Buying a new vehicle the easy way

O
Gots to get that oil and gas out of the ground so all those people in the lower mainland can jump in their SUV’s and drive to the anti oil rallies ;) ;)
OMG so true. After spending the last 6 weeks in Northern BC close to Alberta border I cannot believe the work going on. Oil, Gas, Dam, mining and some logging. Of course the new road deactivation and stopping access is in full steam. The no oil fools need to spend time up there as a wake up. Even if I was so inclined I would never buy new, someone else can take the immediate depreciation hit.

HM

I think I am driving one of your old trucks. Bought it one year old with 80,000 k in 2004. Now close to 400,000 k and going well.
No idea where you northern (ish) Alberta and Peace boys are driving to all day and night.
Holy ****......80 k in a year! Did that truck even get turned off?

Still had some warranty.
He was a big boy, front seat was worn heavily.
After that break in, I have put cherry clicks on it!

Like others, never owned a new vehicle. Never will. Trucks are built not bought? Can build exactly what you want, with all you want, more specific and capable for half the cost of a new one. But that's just me. I almost chocked when a buddy just bragged his new ride will be dam near $100K when he finally owns it.

HM

Most "buddies" like to mention full cost, taxes, add on's etc..... heck, 2021 Chevrolet 1500's already have a 7K rebate on them!

Most "buddies" like to mention full cost, taxes, add on's etc..... heck, 2021 Chevrolet 1500's already have a 7K rebate on them!
Yes he included all extras you state but he was more "concerned" with years of months and months and months of payments. Lets not forget all that compounded interest off bad dept. Not for me. I would cry on the first weekend getting its first scar and brush scraped sides knowing I had years before it was actually mine.

HM

Classic dealer experience yesterday. Asked the sales manager about the Rav4 prime hybrid and since they likely won't have any to sell me for 3 years, instead of saying "We don't know when". No facts to back it up but wanting a sale right now but it felt like he basically lied since the inter web rumours are likely until late 2021 or early 2022 at most busy dealers. Maybe tesla isn't much better at accurate delivery time lines but he made no attempt to get me on their wait list or even record the request to help Toyota plan productions. Other Toyota dealers take deposit and of course Telsa loves deposits and use it to plan production. No wonder conventional manufactures suck at selling electric vehicles.

On their regular and hybrid rav4's I was told no way to cut any deal even a $100 off, but doing me a great favour by telling me I can install the roof rack $400 option myself "saving money". They have only 1 of the model that I'm looking for but you can't test drive it since it's on the secondary lot, "Do you want it? We don't know when you'll get another one". Too hot a product, even our used ones sell for the same price as new. Meanwhile a second Vancouver Island Toyota dealership is stuck with 2019, 2020 and 2021's in stock of some Rav4 models if you use the google. Seriously? No production and delivery planning for one of most efficient manufactures on earth, you can't look up what's at other dealers in your network or being shipped?

Rant over. Really liked the ride of Hybrid Limited, only thing available for a test drive. Can't stomach the price of even the gas base version right now with our covid/matt leave budget but really want something safe for the kids and in-laws to drive. I better sell more fishing/bike gear and get one or two more business ideas off the ground!

Anyone deal with a great Toyota dealership/ sale person? On the island preferable but I need to get to the mainland and visit my bro up in Fraser Lake before we get locked down again!

Classic dealer experience yesterday. Asked the sales manager about the Rav4 prime hybrid and since they likely won't have any to sell me for 3 years, instead of saying "We don't know when". No facts to back it up but wanting a sale right now but it felt like he basically lied since the inter web rumours are likely until late 2021 or early 2022 at most busy dealers. Maybe tesla isn't much better at accurate delivery time lines but he made no attempt to get me on their wait list or even record the request to help Toyota plan productions. Other Toyota dealers take deposit and of course Telsa loves deposits and use it to plan production. No wonder conventional manufactures suck at selling electric vehicles.

On their regular and hybrid rav4's I was told no way to cut any deal even a $100 off, but doing me a great favour by telling me I can install the roof rack $400 option myself "saving money". They have only 1 of the model that I'm looking for but you can't test drive it since it's on the secondary lot, "Do you want it? We don't know when you'll get another one". Too hot a product, even our used ones sell for the same price as new. Meanwhile a second Vancouver Island Toyota dealership is stuck with 2019, 2020 and 2021's in stock of some Rav4 models if you use the google. Seriously? No production and delivery planning for one of most efficient manufactures on earth, you can't look up what's at other dealers in your network or being shipped?

Rant over. Really liked the ride of Hybrid Limited, only thing available for a test drive. Can't stomach the price of even the gas base version right now with our covid/matt leave budget but really want something safe for the kids and in-laws to drive. I better sell more fishing/bike gear and get one or two more business ideas off the ground!

Anyone deal with a great Toyota dealership/ sale person? On the island preferable but I need to get to the mainland and visit my bro up in Fraser Lake before we get locked down again!
Guess that’s the trouble when you’re selling a product that you can’t keep in stock as you sell everyone of them, you don’t have to discount. Kind of like fishing charters in prime time.

I’ll pm you the contact info of whom we dealt with in Nanaimo

My daughter bought a Rav 4 from the dealership in Port Alberni. She was happy with them. She felt like they wanted her business.

We just leased a RAV4 XLE hybrid and month or 2 ago. This is our 3 leased vehicle from Nanaimo Toyota. Highlander - RAV4 trail - this hybrid. We seem to trade in our vehicles every couple years, as we have had few big life changes. Love the Toyota’s. The Trail was great cause it can tow 3500 lbs and towed my old boat no problem.

The issue I find with Nanaimo Toyota is that they know they will sell their vehicles. If you don’t buy it then the next person will. It took me 5 months of communication with them to finally pull the trigger. Eventually they took my trade in straight across and knocked $2000 of the price. I dealt with the lease manager. Let me know if you want their name.

As for the hybrid, I love it. The ride is great. Looks sharp too. Our gas consumption dropped by half roughly. Steady around 6.2 L/ 100 km. You will find that your highway mileage isn’t much different then city. So if you do a lot of highway driving, not much cost savings. It is in the city where you save. BUT you have to watch your driving if you want to capitalize on savings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! Awesome insight. Remortgaging right now and will likely have a kick butt line of credit and lower mortgage payments so hopefully will be able to pull the trigger mid island! Only kink in my plans might be this fricken covid and a slow business. Fingers crossed we get a handle on things but with the US not doing well I'm a little scared it will be a long, long winter. Ah well I can always take the hybrid and find an inlet somewhere to go fishing out of the wind in the winter :)

Still comes down to dealing with someone you are comfortable with....

Sure will bet most that most here don't pay sticker price for any higher end product they (you) are purchasing....right?

I have sold/leased many on different forums and bet they are all happy! :cool:

Still comes down to dealing with someone you are comfortable with....

Sure will bet most that most here don't pay sticker price for any higher end product they (you) are purchasing....right?

I have sold/leased many on different forums and bet they are all happy! :cool:

of course they are happy you told them what good of a deal they got right?;)

Yeah, local dealer is not even honest. I called them on their BS today and then got more BS, saying it's 3 years for a Prime Rav4 when they don't know and now admitting it could be 8 months, sales advisors presented as sales managers in their "personalized" emails.

Really appreciate the feedback on the mid island dealers. Any issues filling up the tank completely on the RAV4 Hybrid? Lots of people online saying they have no where near the range since they can't fill up all the way unless the dealer replaces a bunch of parts.

On the good side, wife says she likes the front camera on the F350 and we don't need to buy a car right now, on the down side I missed pulling the crab traps last night since she was out shopping. #firstworldproblems

Yeah, local dealer is not even honest. I called them on their BS today and then got more BS, saying it's 3 years for a Prime Rav4 when they don't know and now admitting it could be 8 months, sales advisors presented as sales managers in their "personalized" emails.

Really appreciate the feedback on the mid island dealers. Any issues filling up the tank completely on the RAV4 Hybrid? Lots of people online saying they have no where near the range since they can't fill up all the way unless the dealer replaces a bunch of parts.

On the good side, wife says she likes the front camera on the F350 and we don't need to buy a car right now, on the down side I missed pulling the crab traps last night since she was out shopping. #firstworldproblems
The maximum capacity is 55 liters (never had a problem getting it in) and I go about 550 km’s before I need to look for a gas station

As with any business, there is the good, the bad and the downright ugly!;)

That being said, our industry has been buried with LACK of info. A good one to look at is the 2021 Escalade. A few new models added to a new body. Basic Escalade will take roughly 4 months to arrive. Look at the diesel, or sport or the ESV and time starts around 9-10 months with no guarantee.....probably a year out.... many other manufacturers are in the same boat....

Running at 100% production and very little inventory......

Parts are also hard to get in many cases, accessories from the factories take forever at times...

But it still comes down to finding someone you like and trust....but we all know that right?

Since I first responded to this thread, I have now steered three people to the right people. :cool:

That makes me feel good.

Have a great afternoon SFBC members.

Mike

No issues with our 2020 RAV4 hybrid. Fills up fully and gets 550-600 Kms per tank. Definitely love it. Fun trying to get a better driving score then the wife. And trying to get as far as possible in EV mode.

No issues with our 2020 RAV4 hybrid. Fills up fully and gets 550-600 Kms per tank. Definitely love it. Fun trying to get a better driving score then the wife. And trying to get as far as possible in EV mode.
Yeah that driving score set up is fun to play with. Good to challenge yourself

I buy one or two year old used the last few trucks. Generally savings of 30k-40k off the sticker price. My current truck, Black Dodge 1500 Laramie has 90k and allegedly has a trade in of $25k. I bought it 4 years ago with 30k on it and paid $38k for it. Traded in my 2012 sport for $6k less than I paid for it two years earlier. So basically I'm paying $4k a year or so to a guy that insists on buying brand new to rent these heaps and then trade them in to the next guy that probably does the same at a cheaper price point. In my opinion this is the only way to own a newer vehicle. This year my "guy" is trying to sell me on brand new because "the incentives and financing are crazy". He quotes me on dealer pricing blah blah and tries to tell me that my same truck new is msrp $85k! So with all the discounts and blah blah blah I'm at like $70k if I pay 2% financing. But if I want 0% financing I have to pay more. If I want to pay cash it's even more than that, or my trade in goes down.
-"OK thanks Chas but that makes no sense at all"
-"Yah I know but that's just how they do it"
-"So why wouldn't I just keep doing what I've been doing?"
-"Well most customers aren't as smart as you"
:confused:

As with any business, there is the good, the bad and the downright ugly!;)

That being said, our industry has been buried with LACK of info. A good one to look at is the 2021 Escalade. A few new models added to a new body. Basic Escalade will take roughly 4 months to arrive. Look at the diesel, or sport or the ESV and time starts around 9-10 months with no guarantee.....probably a year out.... many other manufacturers are in the same boat....

Running at 100% production and very little inventory......

Parts are also hard to get in many cases, accessories from the factories take forever at times...

But it still comes down to finding someone you like and trust....but we all know that right?

Since I first responded to this thread, I have now steered three people to the right people. :cool:

That makes me feel good.

Have a great afternoon SFBC members.

Mike
No question that in person selling works well for many people. As a home builder, almost every sale I've ever made has been based on a personal relationship i established with the homeowners during the planning process. But I've demonstrated, to myself at least, that there are other ways for vehicle purchases. There's room for several different ways to buy, find the one that works for you.

Back