Vancouver Island Outboard Dealers

chille51

Hey all, seems there is no shortage of outboard dealers on Vancouver Island. I am toying with the idea of a repower- 90hp range most likely. Would consider any of Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Merc... probably more or less in that order. Of course the often repeated wisdom is go with whichever has the best local dealer support.

So, for a guy in Nanaimo but willing to travel if need be... which dealers would you reccomend I talk to and why? Or vice versa- avoid?

alberni power and marine in port alberni for best pricing on Mercury. Brad the sales manager is good to deal with.
They are the only one I have direct experience with so far, as I bought a kicker from them last year. Definitely were the best cost of anywhere I checked at the time. Was just a box sale, I installed myself so can't really comment on post sale support, but I have no reason to question it either.

Lots of options in Alberni it seems, which is fine by me. Not sure what the Honda options are... I know VI Powersports in Nanaimo is where the father in law takes his bike

They are the only one I have direct experience with so far, as I bought a kicker from them last year. Definitely were the best cost of anywhere I checked at the time. Was just a box sale, I installed myself so can't really comment on post sale support, but I have no reason to question it either.
They are a safe bet to be treated properly

Ina marine in Langford is a Honda dealer. Dreamers marine in Nanaimo got my friend into some affordable zukis and he is pretty happy so far.
I did send them both an email last night. Was a little confused at first by the name change for Dreamers. They were Allen Marine last time I looked.

Live in Nanaimo, and take both Yamaha and Suzuki motors over the hump to Port Alberni. Port Boat House and Breakers. Both have provided excellent service. Tried Parker Marine originally for a number of services and the quality of service was poor. Felt like we were a nuisance. We weren’t asking for anything other than standard services on a main and kicker. Tried Port Boat House and service quality was night and day. Worth the drive.

You might want to steer clear of Honda due to lack of dealerships on the island.,
This is a consideration, and definitely noticed when I started looking for dealers. VI Powersport will sell me a motor, but referred me to an independent marine mechanic for the install. As it turns out, who they referred me to is who I have already used since I bought the boat, and who serviced the carbed 75hp Honda that is on it for the last 15 years for previous owner. So that's probably who I would continne to go to for service, potentially even if I buy something other than Honda. He knows the boat.

Live in Nanaimo, and take both Yamaha and Suzuki motors over the hump to Port Alberni. Port Boat House and Breakers. Both have provided excellent service. Tried Parker Marine originally for a number of services and the quality of service was poor. Felt like we were a nuisance. We weren’t asking for anything other than standard services on a main and kicker. Tried Port Boat House and service quality was night and day. Worth the drive.
I called Parker a couple years ago, naively looking for someone to work on an old 25hp 2 stroke Merc on a tinny I had at the time. They practically laughed me off the phone before offering a slot 6 months in the future. Probably any busy shop wouldn't have been interested in that work, but I'll admit it didn't leave the greatest impression.

RPM is great to work with. Their customer service is super and pricing is very competitive. We have bought a bunch of engines and equipment from them.

Back