Building boats from Hourston glascraft molds

There’s another thread on here bemoaning the loss of another local fiberglass builder. Personally, I’m disappointed to see all the local ‘glass builders disappearing. I say even the prospect of someone nearby giving it a go with the bones of a proven hull is intriguing. I will be watching with interest.
Proven hull design, yes, questionable integral structural components and assembly, yes.

Proven hull design, yes, questionable integral structural components and assembly, yes.
True enough, my little 17’ is an ex-Sewell’s boat we got after it was only in the fleet 2-3 years. Pretty clear when one climbs around it and pokes one’s head under the decks it was built to only last 15 years or so, but here we are 30 years in and it’s still a great little boat. And the hulls look so good and ride so well.

240k, slighty more than the 17k my dad paid for a new 26' in 1977 lol. 1 complete rebuild ,3x power and still love her

$240k sounds like a pretty good deal then. Just looking at the original purchase price, the rate of increase is 5.9% per year. Higher than inflation which has averaged 3.6%, but a lot less than the S&P’s 11.3% CAGR. Would look even better factoring in the repowers and rebuild.

If they do come back, I hope they offer the power options that Hourston did in the early 2000s - single or double outboards, inboard gas or diesel. I haven't heard any of the outboard guys talking fuel economy like my D3 -- 6.5 USG/hr @ 25 mph; 7 @ 28. Foam stringers. Custom interiors...

I am doubtful we will ever see them, and I also wonder about the popularity of them if this beauty is still hanging around, which is basically a brand new boat.

IMG_8385.jpeg

I am doubtful we will ever see them, and I also wonder about the popularity of them if this beauty is still hanging around, which is basically a brand new boat.

View attachment 97651
Its hard to tell how they would do in the mass market. They are pretty popular here - judging from ownership and chatter - but they would have to compete with the likes of Seasport, Osprey, Skagit and others. Fortunately this is an armchair sport for me 😉

I've had mine for 7 years, it's been an awesome boat for us. Even though it's an IO, it's hard go consider parting ways with it. That boat above, the last time I saw it he was launching it in nasty weather off Point Atkinson hey hold my beer style!

I would definitely look at a new one but would likely mod mine as I feel I know it so well, and it's dialed in for my needs other than, well you all know where this leads...POD!Screenshot_20230909_200752_Gallery.jpg

I've had mine for 7 years, it's been an awesome boat for us. Even though it's an IO, it's hard go consider parting ways with it. That boat above, the last time I saw it he was launching it in nasty weather off Point Atkinson hey hold my beer style!

I would definitely look at a new one but would likely mod mine as I feel I know it so well, and it's dialed in for my needs other than, well you all know where this leads...POD!View attachment 97695
After you do what has to be done you won’t need to consider any change

False Creek Fuels this morning.

If I'm not mistaken, that's Bill Hourston's 26' Island Runner. Pretty sweet custom live bait box with Hourston logo on the swim grid. He picks up his livies from Buccaneer and fishes the all over the Georgia Strai.

I love Hourstons. Have 2 in the water and 1 project for the future. Such beautifully timeless lines, and I'm yet to ride another 26' boat that matches a Hourston in sloppy seas. I recently picked up my long-time dream - 26' Hourston Command Bridge. Essentially a 26' sedan with a flybridge on top. Some folks aren't into the flybridge, but sitting up there with my two young boys (or solo, or with wife!) is like a dream.

We're fortunate to be amongst a lot of great locally made boats, be them Hourstons, Double Eagles, Monaros, Zetas, K&C and so on. Built in BC for BC waters, and you can sure feel that experience in the ride of a HGC.

1694444010654.png
1694444285053.png

Attachments

• 1694444210443.png
    1694444210443.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 96
If I'm not mistaken, that's Bill Hourston's 26' Island Runner. Pretty sweet custom live bait box with Hourston logo on the swim grid. He picks up his livies from Buccaneer and fishes the all over the Georgia Strai.

I love Hourstons. Have 2 in the water and 1 project for the future. Such beautifully timeless lines, and I'm yet to ride another 26' boat that matches a Hourston in sloppy seas. I recently picked up my long-time dream - 26' Hourston Command Bridge. Essentially a 26' sedan with a flybridge on top. Some folks aren't into the flybridge, but sitting up there with my two young boys (or solo, or with wife!) is like a dream.

We're fortunate to be amongst a lot of great locally made boats, be them Hourstons, Double Eagles, Monaros, Zetas, K&C and so on. Built in BC for BC waters, and you can sure feel that experience in the ride of a HGC.

View attachment 97753
View attachment 97755

I'll bet John at Buccaneer Marina gives ya shyte every time for bringing Evinrudes near his Merc dealership! Lovely rig, thanks for pics.

View attachment 97753
View attachment 97755

Awesome you scored this rig, it's a beauty well done.

Awesome you scored this rig, it's a beauty well done.

Thanks! We are really stoked, few tweaks to do over the winter, but she's in great shape. 1974 hull with a full overhaul done in 2018 (stringers, transom, pod, floor). The E-Tecs wouldn't have been my first choice, but there's a lot to love about these motors. She can get up to 42 kn at WOT and cruises nicely at 25-28 kn.

Thanks! We are really stoked, few tweaks to do over the winter, but she's in great shape. 1974 hull with a full overhaul done in 2018 (stringers, transom, pod, floor). The E-Tecs wouldn't have been my first choice, but there's a lot to love about these motors. She can get up to 42 kn at WOT and cruises nicely at 25-28 kn.
Sick. The E-Tec discount is so worth it for older ones like that. I pass a 26 on blocks in a driveway every day, my neck cranked to see if they have worked on it. Great boat.

Hi. Sorry we went dark there. Covid and supply chain issues had made startup impossible. Things are starting to move now. Have been working on other projects. Time to restart the Heritage boats. Working to bring production back to BC. Short term I’ll try to stay up to date here and answer any questions. I would love to hear more about what options and features people would want. All boats will be under $250k.
Must be coming up time for a semi-annual update,

Back