Naniamo to Bamfield route?

abbyfireguy

We have our annual trip to Bamfield booked for Monday August 21 to Friday August 25. The problem we are mulling over is the road to Alberni and alternate routes.
We will have the boat on the trailer and usually launch it in Alberni,park the trailer at Breakers and I drive my truck loaded with all the gear and supplies over the lovely Bamfield road while the other 2 lucky guys run the boat up to Bamfield and meet me at the house in Grappler.
As we all know Hwy 4 is hit and miss with road closures. One of our group went through the Lake Cowichan route recently,but he only had a van, no boat on a trailer…
Any current advise on route quality and the routes you guy would tow a 19 foot Hourston on a trailer to Bamfield or Alberni would be appreciated.
I‘m even toying with catching a Sunday ferry from Vancouver and sleeping somewhere on the Island Sunday night…my two partners
are bringing the boat down from Courtenay to meet me somewhere and I’ll hook on to the trailer with my newer truck.

I have only driven to Port once since the closures started. My wait time going was about 10 minutes at 7 AM. Returning was around 30 minutes at 2 PM. That was before the total closures during the day started up. I would think if you went the Highway 4 route very early in the morning you wouldn't have to wait very long. Don't know for sure though. If I was going I would try for 3-4 AM and hope the wind doesn't pick up. Would give you a nice early start for the run up the canal at daybreak.

Went to Tofino last week. Weekdays road was closed something like 8am-5pm with an opening from 11:30-1:30 to let traffic through. Alternating traffic not bad (say max 30 minute wait) during weekends and open times. Check the closures on drivebc and go for it.

I'm going to be dealing with the same issue. For myself I'm coming from the mainland next Wednesday and catching the first boat out of Horseshoe bay at 6:30am and hitting Nanaimo at 8:05am and knowing that I'll be stuck on the Hwy closure until at least 11:30am as that's when they let the westbound traffic through. I know it's an inconvenience as I'm launching in Port Alberni and running the inlet up to Bamfield and will put me 2 hours plus behind my usual arrival time but it's still quicker than driving all the way around towing a boat plus I'm coming back out on the weekend so, there shouldn't be long waits on the Hwy to get back to the ferry.

Came through from Ukee this morning hit the closure about 6:45 waited half hour looks like they’re letting 100 vehicles through at a time

I'm going to be dealing with the same issue. For myself I'm coming from the mainland next Wednesday and catching the first boat out of Horseshoe bay at 6:30am and hitting Nanaimo at 8:05am and knowing that I'll be stuck on the Hwy closure until at least 11:30am as that's when they let the westbound traffic through. I know it's an inconvenience as I'm launching in Port Alberni and running the inlet up to Bamfield and will put me 2 hours plus behind my usual arrival time but it's still quicker than driving all the way around towing a boat plus I'm coming back out on the weekend so, there shouldn't be long waits on the Hwy to get back to the ferry.
if its hot out, it will be blowing hard, head on, in the inlet. you may already know this.

go the night before after the closure, sleep in the boat at clutesi either in the water or on the trailer. leave at first light. my friends and i did this for years. finish the work day or prep day and head over in the afternoon. AVOID THE CLOSURE AND INFLOW WINDS!!
DO NOT TOW TO BAM!!! the by pass re-route due to the half assed chip seal program, plus dust and potholes will for sure ruin something on your boat or trailer.

This is an accurate answer regarding this topic. I go Nanaimo to Ukee every few weeks. Just timing the closure so that you arrive at the westbound closure way before 9am and go through, or show up for the westbound 11:30am flush. Easy peasy. Just time all your ferries/gas stops around that.

^^^This is exactly what we have done and haven't waited more then 20 minutes

go the night before after the closure, sleep in the boat at clutesi either in the water or on the trailer. leave at first light. my friends and i did this for years. finish the work day or prep day and head over in the afternoon. AVOID THE CLOSURE AND INFLOW WINDS!!
DO NOT TOW TO BAM!!! the by pass re-route due to the half assed chip seal program, plus dust and potholes will for sure ruin something on your boat or trailer.
i forgot to add that you can order pizza to the launch.

I'm coming over on the 15th. Was hoping to bring my new to me 282. Which is over width. Not looking good.

Heard they only let west bound travel from 11:30-12:30 and eastbound from 12:30-1:30….if that’s the case I may miss my 2:00 ferry reservation coming home. Can anyone confirm this?

Heard they only let west bound travel from 11:30-12:30 and eastbound from 12:30-1:30….if that’s the case I may miss my 2:00 ferry reservation coming home. Can anyone confirm this?

That’s what they say. However today the let us start going eastbound at around 12:10pm. There was still a huge lineup going west bound! I would have been pissed if I was waiting there all morning and they stopped traffic westbound 20-25min early!

I would try and change your reservation!

Reservations are all sold out….if I can get going Eastbound by 12:30 or earlier I should be fine…fingers crossed.

Friday to Monday of the long weekend it’s just alternating traffic.

This is the official schedule otherwise, just find your date and see the times:

I went over last Tuesday. Took the 7:45 out of Tswwassen to duke point. Was lined up for the 11:30 west bound flush by 11. I started moving by 11:45... so not too bad. Ran the boat down as usual with no problem. Windy until past china creek then got better. My son drove his truck down but with the detour route due to chip sealing it added at least an hour to the drive.

Coming home today has been a planes trains and automobiles and bc ferries kind of day. Left Bamfield around 9:20. Nice ride up the inlet. In the 12:30 eastbound flush by 12. Didn't make it through due to to many cars.
Waited till 5:40 pm to finally get through.
Went for 8:30pm out of Departure Bay which became the 9 pm due to same old same old bc ferries.
Should be home by 11:30 tonight.

Did have some great fishing off of Beale though!

Back