3 Boat Choices for a Noobie

we are looking for our first boat to putter around the broughtons on north van isle, 99% of the time it will be just the two of us making waves in the sea
looking to acquire experience and wisdom on calm days before heading any great distances

having read a few threads on here it seems like a cheaper glass is a good start, so any input on the boats below would be appreciated

1) 2001 Hourston 17' with 115hp merc (2021 still with a little warranty) - no trailer & no kicker

2) 1996 Double Eagle 16.5' with 90hp Yamaha (2014) - trailer & no kicker

3) 1986 Double Eagle 17' with 50hp Yamaha & 9.9hp Yamaha kicker - tralier

i don't have an account, but i have figured out how to view faceborg marketplace, but not how to respond (so that could be a deal breaker if i can't find it elsewhere)

Last edited:
Do you need a trailer? If you do then 1 and 2 would be off of my list. Also no kicker which I think is necessary.

Number 3 has trailer and kicker but I believe it is underpowered with a 50 HP

As a guy who spends most of my boating time in the Broughtons, I'd ask about your logistics. Where will you stay? Do you plan to stay in the Broughtons, or day trip from TC, Sointula or Port MacNeill? Its the crossings that will be key in deciding how much boat you'll need.

Any calm summer day can turn into 20-30 knot westerly [usually forecast] - with wave behaviour dependent on the combination of wind and tide. On days when we 'had' to cross I've exposed my wife and daughter to 3-5' waves, and water over the windshield and cabin roof on my 23' Hourston. We generally avoid that by staying in the Broughtons for days at a time and crossing in calmer morning times.

Hourstons and Double Eagles in that size range are capable boats -- they will take more rough water than most crew will tolerate. Both boats need a survey to confirm that stringers and transom are sound.

we are looking for our first boat to putter around the broughtons on north van isle, 99% of the time it will be just the two of us making waves in the sea
looking to acquire experience and wisdom on calm days before heading any great distances

having read a few threads on here it seems like a cheaper glass is a good start, so any input on the boats below would be appreciated

1) 2001 Hourston 17' with 115hp merc (2021 still with a little warranty) - no trailer & no kicker

2) 1996 Double Eagle 16.5' with 90hp Yamaha (2014) - trailer & no kicker

3) 1986 Double Eagle 17' with 50hp Yamaha & 9.9hp Yamaha kicker - tralier

i don't have an account, but i have figured out how to view faceborg marketplace, but not how to respond (so that could be a deal breaker if i can't find it elsewhere)
The first boat has 2 red flags that I see: the aluminum cap over the transom indicates a soft transom. It’s a cheap and easy “fix” compared to doing it right, and is usually a sign of bigger issues. Secondly, the boat is a bit stern heavy - which could be a result of the weight of the big motor, but also could be due to a waterlogged hull. Most of the value in that boat is in the motor, but in my opinion, it’s overpriced given that the hull is in suspect condition and the lack of trailer.

#2 sold.

I would keep looking. #3 looks like an older main engine and the older hull (more likely to have transom stringer fiberglass issues, and as mentioned possibly underpowered.

Is your max budget 15k

Do you need a trailer? Where do you live vs launch? Even if you live in or near Port MacNeill, the boat will be easier to maintain on a trailer and under cover.

#1 - Looks promising but a trailer will add a bunch to your price.
#2 - I would have been worried about a boat with a "death sounder".
#3 - Agree it may be underpowered

Any of them needs a good look at stringers and transom.

I think the first one is on of the thunderbird yard managers personal boats. So should be well maintained I would assume.

thanks all
i should have added more detail

the reason i can't message on faceborg is i have no account and they now require a cell phone for verification (which i don't have)

i live in port mcneill, and am on the list for a slip (it could be two years???), so i would be trailering for the foreseeable future
plus i like the idea above of bringing it out for cleaning/examining/repairing (i'm bringing a hot water line out for this)
i would be launching, bringing the truck/trailer home and walking back, to leave room for others (unless it was a quiet time of year and the lot was about empty)

i would like my price to be $15k max (i have to get a truck now, i had assumed with all the empty slips i could just drop the boat in and have someone haul it in&out)

Maxpri, that is interesting about boat #1 being possibly well taken care of
it is my wife's favorite as it looks good and comfortable, but without trailer & kicker the price may be too much to bear

even though #2 is sold, i am curious why having the lowrance 'death sounder' is a negative (ignorance is not bliss in this case)

i agree on #3 being under-powered for that size (and that age may present water-logging issues)

there is also this 17' 1990 arima with a 2000 100hp yamaha, with kicker and trailer for $16.5K, that i like

and sticking with the 1990 theme, this K&C thermoglass
(but again with the 50hp, maybe i should just let this hp go, and narrow my searches, mayb i am learning.....)

Last edited:
In the broughtens I would
Look for an 18’2 hourston. Wider beam newer boat, 20 trophy is what I would look for , 21 Striper. Even the 18’ trophy is ok but stick with and outboard

Last edited:
The 16 vs 17 Hourston hulls are quite a bit different not sure about the DE but if it’s similar to the 16 Hourston I would not go that route the bow on the 17 sits higher and won’t be as wet of a ride on a choppy day.

The 16 vs 17 Hourston hulls are quite a bit different not sure about the DE but if it’s similar to the 16 Hourston I would not go that route the bow on the 17 sits higher and won’t be as wet of a ride on a choppy day.
Yes, same idea. 172 is significantly larger than the 16.

What's the budget?

Back in the 90's I spent summers guiding in the Broughtons and there were a ton of Hourstons and Double Eagles (Lodge boats) in the 18' range which is really all you need unless as mentioned in above post it blows up in the afternoon and can get really choppy crossing the larger runs that are open the the north or south. All that to say a smaller boat has a lot of advantages in that area in terms of ease of handling, way cheaper to run, less power requirements, less cost to maintain, way easier to fish close-in structure like you do up there etc. You would also be able to tow one of those smaller boats with many more vehicles than a gas guzzling half ton. Also keep your eyes open for center consoles like older Whalers. Good luck in your search- sounds like you are on the right track. PS- that Arima would be a great choice.

Yes, same idea. 172 is significantly larger than the 16.

What's the budget?
Back in the 90's I spent summers guiding in the Broughtons and there were a ton of Hourstons and Double Eagles (Lodge boats) in the 18' range which is really all you need unless as mentioned in above post it blows up in the afternoon and can get really choppy crossing the larger runs that are open the the north or south. All that to say a smaller boat has a lot of advantages in that area in terms of ease of handling, way cheaper to run, less power requirements, less cost to maintain, way easier to fish close-in structure like you do up there etc. You would also be able to tow one of those smaller boats with many more vehicles than a gas guzzling half ton. Also keep your eyes open for center consoles like older Whalers. Good luck in your search- sounds like you are on the right track. PS- that Arima would be a great choice.

budget is $15k

although that arima is pushing the budget, from my research it seems like a good stable boat
i watched the vid below on a pretty similar 17' sea chaser (1993) with a 115 older 2-stroke that topped out at ~38mph
so the 1990 i linked above with the newer 100hp might be ok, should i need to get up and go if the weather looks like it might turn

i'm in no big rush (lots of house renos), but i don't want to miss out on something that may be a decent buy in case things get kooky again
stagflation vs inflation vs bugs, who knows where the wheel will land

Eden Island has offered excellent advice. We have also spent time there but on a much larger boat. The comment about logistics is important to consider.
"Hourstons and Double Eagles in that size range are capable boats -- they will take more rough water than most crew will tolerate. Both boats need a survey to confirm that stringers and transom are sound." I will only add that anything under 17.5 or 18' is unwise. Make sure you have a reliable 115 h.p. on those and a dependable kicker. Up in Kingcome Inlet, mid-August, we didn't see another boat for days. Cell or VHF are useless in some areas. We have Zoleo for emergencies.

I am also a noobie and I bought an Arima of similar vintage to the one you are looking at last year. In my case I got a 17' Sea Ranger. That one you posted being a Chaser I believe has a little more dance floor for fishing, at the expense of a smaller cuddy. So depends if you plan to overnight or not. it has the saddletanks too so I would definitely check that one out. Arimas are very stable and have a wide beam for a boat of that size. Great for trolling and don't pitch as much side to side as something with a deeper V. the downside to that is they can pound a little running at speed, can be a bit of a wet ride, and you won't be winning any races. But you'll get home safe. They also sit pretty butt heavy with the fuel and batteries all in the rear. Some of those downsides are counteracted by keeping your gear up front for ballast, and adding trim tabs which I intend to do this year on mine. If the wiring is original I would plan on upgrading that. I did. It's the right boat for me to learn on for sure, always feel safe and pretty light to trailer. My inlaws live in McNeill and I will be bringing my Arima up in June for a week. Maybe I'll see you out there!

I am also a noobie and I bought an Arima of similar vintage to the one you are looking at last year. In my case I got a 17' Sea Ranger. That one you posted being a Chaser I believe has a little more dance floor for fishing, at the expense of a smaller cuddy. So depends if you plan to overnight or not. it has the saddletanks too so I would definitely check that one out. Arimas are very stable and have a wide beam for a boat of that size. Great for trolling and don't pitch as much side to side as something with a deeper V. the downside to that is they can pound a little running at speed, can be a bit of a wet ride, and you won't be winning any races. But you'll get home safe. They also sit pretty butt heavy with the fuel and batteries all in the rear. Some of those downsides are counteracted by keeping your gear up front for ballast, and adding trim tabs which I intend to do this year on mine. If the wiring is original I would plan on upgrading that. I did. It's the right boat for me to learn on for sure, always feel safe and pretty light to trailer. My inlaws live in McNeill and I will be bringing my Arima up in June for a week. Maybe I'll see you out there!
thanks for that

hopefully i can make it over to the mainland to look at it soon

check out this thread if you need any graphics re-done on your arima (i just finished doing the text and the two different waves they have)
i have seen an arima with the text & single wave on the hull, but not the double wave (i'm not sure which i like better)

Back