Naniamo to Bamfield route?

I'm late to this thread. Just sharing my experience. A couple of weeks ago, after a ferry ride, left Nanaimo around 8:5 towards Bamfield. Once in PA, I dropped my 22' aluminum boat in the inlet, and my brother and I left towards Bamfield. The ride was a bit rough but doable. Took us about 1.5 hours to get to Bamfield. My other two buddies with his truck and the trailer on the back left towards Bamfield. Big mistake! Around halfway, two sections of the trailer brook due to constant vibration. Took them almost 5 hours to get to Bamfiels and for the next 2 days we were looking for a welder to fix the trailer. Lots of hassles and frustration to find a welder and on top of that, took away 2 days of our fishing. Luckily the trailer got fixed and the rest of the trip was great. Perhaps others did not have the same experience as ours but I would never take the trailer to Bamfiled. After all, there was no need to have the trailer in Bamfield and we could have just left it somewhere in Port Alberni.
What part of your trailer broke? Might have been a blessing in disguise.

Yes, my wife sometimes takes that route from Lake Cowichan to Victoria in her Prius. She loves the scenery and all the great beaches on the section from Renfrew to Victoria.
Ditto on that. I've driven my Miata on the loop from Victoria to Duncan, Cowichan, Port Renfrew, Sooke and home. Probably easier in the Miata than towing a boat, but nothing tough about it except a few curves. Port Alberni - Bamfield would be a different story, as would Cowichan - Bamfield.

Ok, so I have one more trip coming up to Bamfield in just under two weeks.. I'll be coming from the mainland again without a boat as I have mine stored in Port Alberni. As for my last trip I left Horseshoe Bay 6:25am to Departure Bay 8:05am and weren't able to get through the highway closure at Cameron lake by 9:00am and had to sit on highway 4 until 11:30am when it opened back up. So, what I'm wondering is...

Has anyone taken the Tsawwassen Ferry (5:15am) departure to Duke Point (7:15am) arrival and made it through the highway closer at Cameron lake before the 9:00am closure?

Please let me know as they've extended the closure on this Highway

Thanks

Jeff

Ok, so I have one more trip coming up to Bamfield in just under two weeks.. I'll be coming from the mainland again without a boat as I have mine stored in Port Alberni. As for my last trip I left Horseshoe Bay 6:25am to Departure Bay 8:05am and weren't able to get through the highway closure at Cameron lake by 9:00am and had to sit on highway 4 until 11:30am when it opened back up. So, what I'm wondering is...

Has anyone taken the Tsawwassen Ferry (5:15am) departure to Duke Point (7:15am) arrival and made it through the highway closer at Cameron lake before the 9:00am closure?

Please let me know as they've extended the closure on this Highway

Thanks

Jeff
Duke point is about 15min south of Dep. Bay, so you should pick up 30 minutes net.
They‘re talking about having the road fully open by the end of the month which isn’t that far away, 2 all day closures over the next 2 Thursdays to remove big rocks.
I’d reserve the Duke Pt route for the extra 30 minutes and hope that the road opens regardless.

Part way down it says you'll need to leave Nanaimo by 7:45am to make it. Plus there is a good chart of planned closures for if there is no rain or wind. We have an Aug 30 to Ukee. Following closely.

Part way down it says you'll need to leave Nanaimo by 7:45am to make it. Plus there is a good chart of planned closures for if there is no rain or wind. We have an Aug 30 to Ukee. Following closely.

Thanks for that, as I just changed to Ferry reservations arriving at Duke Point 7:15am....so, fingers crossed I'll make it through the closure as I've already toured Cameron Lake with sitting on the highway a few weeks back!

What part of your trailer broke? Might have been a blessing in disguise.
Right at the end of the trailer close to tailgate on each side. I agree, glad the boat was not on the trailer at the time it broke. My suspicion is the insane shake of the 2 guides toward the back caused the two sections break.

Thanks for that, as I just changed to Ferry reservations arriving at Duke Point 7:15am....so, fingers crossed I'll make it through the closure as I've already toured Cameron Lake with sitting on the highway a few weeks back!
Look out, Duke Point run just lost one of its vessels, out to a mechanical issue that BC Ferries says will take weeks, rather than days, to fix.

Look out, Duke Point run just lost one of its vessels, out to a mechanical issue that BC Ferries says will take weeks, rather than days, to fix.
They were sea trialing a ferry yesterday afternoon, not sure which vessel as i was having to concentrate on fishing in the windy, choppy conditions

Back